Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NFL 2006: The road to Super Bowl XLI

for all seasons Moderator

Default Re: NFL 2006: The road to Super Bowl XLI

I'm sorry, there were other games in the NFL?? It's awfully loud to hear the sounds of those games over all the WINNING the Titans were doing. Woooooooooo on the board with the one win, take that Houston!!

...Come on, we don't win often. I need this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oslo View Post
    Tony is gay for little Snorlax.

Watch my YouTube to support my drug habit

Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer

Homeland Security skeptical about NFL stadiums threat

Sounds like there's been a threat of some "dirty bombs" being set off in various NFL stadiums this week. The threat doesn't seem at all credible, but it will still be interesting to see if there are any changes to the security measures in those arenas.

For reference, the threatened stadiums were those of New York, Miami, Atlanta, Seattle, Houston, Oakland and Cleveland.
    IT HAS RETURNED.
    THE TPM MAIN SITE.

Quote Originally Posted by Gavin Luper View Post
    Holy crap ... I'VE become a grammar nazi, too.

Random Drop-By Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

6 turnovers from their quarterback and the bears STILL win... omg...

craziest game all season by far

dratini by day

haunter by night

Best. Forum. Ever.

haha the bears game was crazy, but there are a few things i want to point out:

1. i don't think any of those fans ever thought that they were going to win that game. despite the big lead they had at the end of the first half, i think everyone was just waiting for the bears to come back.
    2. you could tell the cardinals were gonig to relinquish the lead. they kept trying to run the ball. which, has been virtually impossible this year. the offensive line is good enough to hold up the pass rushers, but not good enough to create any holes for the edge
    3. the cardinals shouldve been a lot more aggressive with theirn playcalling in the second half. the reason they got the lead was by throwing it, and they probably should've stuck with that since not much else was working.
    4. what a ridiculous miss at the end, eh? gayyy.

oh, and the giants did pretty well this week too =)
    [scarletspider]
    [COLOR=White][SIZE=2]
    Breaking Hearts One At a Time

And so the Cardinals face the ultimate humiliation... a loss to the dreaded Oakland Raiders. Those poor ol' Arizona blokes can't seem to do anything right, eh? I liked the Antrel Rolle pickup, the kid can't back pedal out of college. I liked the Kurt Warner signing, he's benched by year 2. I liked the Edgerrin James signing, he's seeing red jerseys bunched together before meeting up with a charming gentleman from the opposing team.
    In retrospect, maybe the Cardinals o-line is just really good at pass-blocking. I mean, there's been no holes, right? If Edge just gave up on running and chucked the damn ball, he'd be right as rain... or Dane (1-1 and a TD, woo!)

And a final note; a marvellous performance from Tennessee. Two straight weeks without a loss, WOO! ...Suddenly from a division standpoint the Houston Texans scare me however. Yes, the Houston Texans. They throw Miami aside where we could not, then they bully the Jaguars, who I can't figure out this year. Next week oughta be close.

Elite Trainer

yes i saw the falcons game. no - vick STILL can't throw (consistently).
    he can't.

dratini by day

haunter by night

Best. Forum. Ever.

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

HOW BOUT DEM COWBOYS?!?!!!!!

Romo looked awesome tonight, and they ran over the Panthers so easily! Bring on the Redskins!

Cloyster Moderator

I'll be chearing right along with you when they play the Redskins, like I always say, my two favorite teams are the Ravens and whoever's playing the Redskins.
    Winner of the Unown Awards: 2008 "Hard Work", 2010 "Dedicated", 2012 "Journalist", 2012 "Unown", 2013 "Anchorman", 2014 "Unown", 2015 "Jeff Jeff Jeff Jeff!"

Facebook - YouTube - Miiverse
    Diamond: 1418 3196 1413 - SoulSilver: 0217 4582 5426 - White: 1119 9535 7054 - White 2: 1421 4560 4887 - X: same as 3DS
    3DS: 3866 8018 5231 - AIM: IslanderJeff02
    Joined November 8, 2004 - Modded October 24, 2008

Elite Trainer

was romo crying on the sideline before the cowboys won the game? can i get a confirm/deny on this?

dratini by day

haunter by night

Best. Forum. Ever.

i'm so glad the giants won, despite that crazy wind which should have given them a couple of more touchdowns.

and unfortunately romo isn as good as adverised, which is bad for my giants and their division title hopes booo
    [scarletspider]
    [COLOR=White][SIZE=2]
    Breaking Hearts One At a Time

Cloyster Moderator

6 and 2!

Another win for the Ravens! And they didn't even do that good the year they won the Super Bowl.
    Winner of the Unown Awards: 2008 "Hard Work", 2010 "Dedicated", 2012 "Journalist", 2012 "Unown", 2013 "Anchorman", 2014 "Unown", 2015 "Jeff Jeff Jeff Jeff!"

Diamond: 1418 3196 1413 - SoulSilver: 0217 4582 5426 - White: 1119 9535 7054 - White 2: 1421 4560 4887 - X: same as 3DS

Elite Trainer

i couldn't decide which qb i'd go with for #1 in the nfl. manning and brady are both rly rly good, so i decided i'd say whoever won this game was the best - Manning. rings or not!

oh, and if you can't throw against the lions secondary, you can't throw period. and everyone thought vick was a pocket passer all the sudden lol

dratini by day

haunter by night

Best. Forum. Ever.

Cloyster Moderator

Hmmm, I was going back and forth between games and at one point had to leave for work so I didn't catch this, but apparently the Ravens' coach got a little angry during the game and started using some words that let's just say would get him in trouble with the FCC, including an F-bomb, and yes they did get out. Sorry, don't have a source, heard it on the radio this morning.

Alright, I thought I may as well get things up and running again, since I like boosting my postcount here, as well as discussing. A little.

It may come as no surprise to y'all, but I thought I would start the day off with an almighty cheer as my Titans take the Giants down, with a great day from Vince Young and Pacman Jones coming on, hardcore. It's another beautiful day in Titans camp, and I can just sit back and watch Coughlin reel.

This season has certainly been a lot more exciting for me than last year's, where the highlight of the year was either Tennessee beating Baltimore (which I thought would be the turning point of the Titans' season) or the Chargers breaking Indy's streak. This year, I've got Vince Young, LT racking in the fantasy points and the Cheese rumbling towards comeback player of the year (had a poor day today, though).

What're your highlights for this 2006 season? Late Superbowl picks? Anti-Peyton Manning rants?
    Last edited by DragoKnight; 26th November 2006 at 10:30 PM.

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Highlight of this season? Two Words: Tony Romo. A basically unknown towel holder coming in and leading the team back from the brink of another destructive season. The man has become a local celeb, and is used in the same breath as Troy Aikman.

As for the late Superbowel picks, I would say a rematch of Colts vs Cowboys. With the Cowboys taking the victory again.

Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer

Offense sells tickets, but defense wins in the playoffs. I'm looking Ravens-Bears, with Baltimore taking it in the end.

Yes, I'm biased toward Baltimore since I have them on my team. But I think it's reasonable nonetheless.

EDIT: What the hell did I just say? Changed my pick to not be completely idiotic. >_<
    IT HAS RETURNED.
    THE TPM MAIN SITE.

~HOPES AND DREAMS~ Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

I saw a commercial that the Ravens are playing the Bengals this thursday. My house is going to be a battlefield since Im partial to the Ravens and Rudy is having buttsecks with Cincys team XD I hope the Ravens kick their ass or Rudy will gloat for days :<

.: Ben + Brandy :.
    .: September 14th 2012 :.

The cult of personality..... Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Asilynne View Post
    I saw a commercial that the Ravens are playing the Bengals this thursday. My house is going to be a battlefield since Im partial to the Ravens and Rudy is having buttsecks with Cincys team XD I hope the Ravens kick their ass or Rudy will gloat for days :<
    I'm going to be like Broadway Joe and say that there is no way in hell Cincy is losing to the Ravens. It's impossible for them to lose in my eyes. Of course I say that about every single Cincy game so if they do lose I'm gonna go Super Saiya-jin on someone's sorry ass and then whip out my 9's and fire on any stupid pig that gets in my way!

In other words this rant was an excuse to use smilies that I've not seen in years ^_^() lol
    TPM's self proclaimed firearms expert, former RPG mod, occassional smartass and all around enigmatic wonder ^_~
    3DS Friend Code: 3196 4256 7846
    XBL: Enigma1985 NYJ
    Steam: enigmaticwonder
    FF.net: https://www.fanfiction.net/~enigmaticwonder85

Stay your blade from the flesh of an innocent.
    Hide in plain sight.
    Never compromise the Brotherhood.
    Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
    -The Assassin's Creed

Cloyster Moderator

That's going to be a big game. If the Ravens win it, they clinch the division, which is definitely a possibility, just let the numbers 8-2 speak for themselves

Elite Trainer

WOOT! Brandy shall not hear the end of it now that Cincy have beaten Baltimore. You know you've got a good team when you can beat the division leader and keep them from clinching it. Extra brownie points are in order for keeping the Ravens shutout until the final minutes of the game. Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to go continue having this so called "buttsecks" with Carson, Rudi and Chad

And I do hope you sick bastards know that last part was a joke.... ^_^()
    TPM's self proclaimed firearms expert, former RPG mod, occassional smartass and all around enigmatic wonder ^_~

Hide in plain sight.
    -The Assassin's Creed

Elite Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Master Rudy View Post
    WOOT! Brandy shall not hear the end of it now that Cincy have beaten Baltimore. You know you've got a good team when you can beat the division leader and keep them from clinching it. Extra brownie points are in order for keeping the Ravens shutout until the final minutes of the game. Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to go continue having this so called "buttsecks" with Carson, Rudi and Chad

And I do hope you sick bastards know that last part was a joke.... ^_^()
    Somebody please beat the bengals ;.; Rudys going to gloat til someone does lol

Cloyster Moderator

I knew it was only a matter of time before the gloating over the Bengals-Ravens game would commence. Ah oh well, at least the Ravens are still doing great (8-3, but my brother says 9-3, I'll have to check that). I am happy with the fact that at least the Ravens were able to prevent the shutout at the very end, unfortunately they fell short of the awesome second half they're known for to win it.

Ok, so it looks like they are 9-3, so says Wikipedia. And I did get some more good news, Navy beat Army for the fifth year in a row, so I'm still happy.
    Last edited by Jeff; 3rd December 2006 at 07:51 PM.

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

43 YARD KICK COWBOYS WIN THE GAME. THE TEAM OF DESTINY BABY!

Thread Killer Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

Roy: I hate you and your effing 'Boys :p. Unfortunately for me, I have to say that the Giants season is basically done with. Sucks to be me and Scarlet Spider

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Hey Perfect, where was Shockley and his Guaranteed Win? Hmm? I remember two weeks back he said that there was no way they would lose to the 'boys.

i hate shockey.

weird day of games this week though. O_O i was surprised.

Gloat all you like kiddies, this year is all just a wee little game you see, for the baby crocodile known as the Tennessee Titans. You thought you flushed them down the toilet two years ago, but they're back. And they've been snapping at teams more and more the bigger they get... Take out the Eagles... Take out the Giants... 'til now, they have picked up a win over the Indianapolis friggin' Colts. How do you like DEM apples, huh? Huh??

Vince Young will be the real deal in this league, Travis Henry is resurging bit by bit, and suddenly the D plays a little bit of D, love that 32!! The question is, how long will it be 'til that baby croc ain't a baby no more?

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

I will agree with you on one thing man, Vince Young is a beast. I followed him when he was the QB for Texas, and that guy is awesome. And if you want to see a true win against the Colts, watch the Cowboys vs the Colts a few weeks ago. That was more of a win that a simple uber field goal. The Titans may be up and coming, but it will be next year. This year belongs to either the Saints or the Cowboys. And in about 15 hours we will find out who.

5-win streak sound good to y'all? Sounds wonderful to these tackhead ears. Second-longest streak in the NFL at the moment. Nearly three-quarters the D was on the field against the Jags, sounds like awful scheming by Schwartz again, outplayed by the heart of the players. See you in the Pro Bowl, Chris Hope!!
    I can't seem to figure out the Bills, they're doing well now and may be the team to pull the upset and put the Titans streak to an end (or would an upset be the other way round?), but I just can't grasp the idea of them being a threatening team. I'll tip toward the Titans, but something... isn't sitting right.

I guess now's an appropriate time to make an estimate here, who really is the worst team in the NFL? Our prime candidates; the Oakland Raiders and Detroit Lions, each at 2-12. Personally, I say the Lions. They're hopeless in nearly (possibly all) facets of the game, and it's saddening to see Jon Kitna wallowing in such filth. I ponder both teams' decision to pass up on Matt Leinart when they both stink at QB (Kitna and Aaron Brooks looked okay at the time, I guess), but hindsight is 20/20.

Clearly in Raiders camp, Huggy Bear's son Justin (Fargas) is not a juggernaut in the starting role, that team needs a healthy and productive LaMont Jordan, as well as some receivers who play to their potential!! (I would've thought Randy Moss and Jerry Porter would have been the best pair of WRs over Anquan Bolden and Larry Fitzgerald... hey, they ain't doing great themselves. Proof that great WRs can't shine without a run game to keep defences off them). My friend is still trying to conjure up some voodoo to bring Rich Gannon and Jerry Rice out of retirement, but until that time, the offence is just gonna keep on sputtering along, wasting a turnover-providing defence.

What can be said about the Detroit Lions that hasn't been said repeatedly in the past? I thought Joey Harrington sucked hardcore, turns out in Miami he's just average, not terrible. This franchise needs a major overhaul, and the first man to be exiled should be Matt Millen. I'm prone to blame the people off the field for the failings of the players, so Millen shalt feel my wrath and the wrath of unhappy Detroit fans. I dislike pretty much everything about Detroit, the coaching each year, the core of players, the color scheme, and that crummy logo. Seriously, that logo should've been done away with at the beginning of the millenium.

Beyond those two infamous bumblers, the rest of the quagmire seems muddled. Arizona have young talent, but this was meant to be their year to turn it around. Even last year was supposed to be the 'turn of the franchise', a franchise with a history that can be described as, at best, embarrassing. Dennis Green hasn't got the answers, hopefully the next coach will be able to mould the team after Marvin Lewis' Bengals. The tools are there, let's put them to work, eh?

Cleveland... ho-hum, a routine year for them. Every year they look like they're getting better, when they manage to just remain as mediocre as ever. I hate seeing players I like (LeCharles Bentley, Joe Jurevicius), head to the Browns, the team where careers come to die. ...Kidding, kidding. Reuben Droughns can be the workhorse, ala Eddie George, but he needs players around him with heart and the will to win. Every player wants to win, it's just a matter of who can give more than they've got, dedicate themselves to their franchise and come out on top. Does Charlie Frye have 'it'? I don't think so, but we shall see.

The Houston Texans passed up on Reggie Bush, Vince Young and Matt Leinart to fill a position of need. Positions of need can always be filled in, special players cannot. You do not place need over spectacular individuals, even if the Texans were still lousy without Mario Williams, that could be addressed in the next draft. By win/loss record, David Carr has become the Joey Harrington of Houston, and it's not at all Carr's fault. He's been plagued with the worst pass-blocking line I could ever name, and this has to rattle his nerves. All his mental mistakes, all the times he couldn't put the team on his shoulders, I have to believe that part of that is that he's out there fighting for his life on a regular basis; if he's not getting running frantically or getting sacked, no doubt he's just expecting it on the next play. Without Domanick Davis this year, Carr's pressure is increased. He's been good statistically, with an 87.5 rating, but when he has to wrap it up for a win, he couldn't step up, and I reckon pretty soon he'll have to step out. ...Now then, how 'bout that genius pick of Courtney Brown, err... Mario Williams?

Tampa Bay... wow. I did not see this fall coming, and I can't figure out how much of it has to do with the absence of Chris Simms. Cadillac's broken down, and even with names like Ronde Barber and Derrick Brooks on the team, the Bucs are little more than an automatic win for opposing teams. We'll see how they go when Simms returns, then I can conclude whether Carnell's miserable sophomore year has to do with the lacking passing game.

As for Arizona? I think they lose to keep their proud history going. I reckon they should swap o-lines with Houston for a couple games, see if maybe they prefer running the ball. Edgerrin James says yes. I still say he should've gone to Miami when Ricky Williams retired the first time.

Now as the playoff picture becomes clearer and shinier, there are more teams than expected scrambling toward that window before it slams shut in their face, including my beloved boys in two-tone blue... I'm looking forward to the playoffs already, and seeing who Peyton Manning chokes against first.
    Last edited by DragoKnight; 18th December 2006 at 05:42 PM.

ford needs to fire millen then sell the team to someone who might actually try building a decent team.

Cloyster Moderator

What an awesome headline on today's Baltimore Sun: CLINCHED!

Finally for the first time since '03 the Ravens are definitely heading to the playoffs!

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Hey guys I am heading to the Cowboys vs Eagles game on Christmas night! My Dad got midfield, about ten or so rows behind the Cowboys' bench. It will be so freaken awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    What an awesome headline on today's Baltimore Sun: CLINCHED!

Finally for the first time since '03 the Ravens are definitely heading to the playoffs!
    If the Titans don't nab the wildcard, you can be certain that I'll be pulling for the Ravens to win the Superbowl. I so passionately want McNair to claim that Lombardi trophy. I'm just terrified that if the Ravens do go to the Superbowl, Derrick Mason will look over his shoulder in the dying seconds and suddenly spot Dyson running onto the field calling for the pass.

Let me declare officially, the Pro Bowl is a joke. No Titans selected for the third straight year. No Keith Bulluck, Chris Hope, Kevin Mawae or Pacman Jones, instead, we get 'pumpin' Shawn Merriman, 'hairy' Troy Polamalu and 'I'm a Raven' Chris McAllister. I'll take my memories of Steve McNair to Chad Johnson touchdown and be done with the rest of it.

EDIT: Oh yeah Roy, I wish you all the best for the Cowboys/Eagles. Rivalry games are always good, but you seem to have found the most exciting time to be in the crowd. A very merry Christmas, indeed!!
    I hope for your sake the Boys win, though I'll be cheering for Philly myself, sorry. I'm a Garcia mark.
    Last edited by DragoKnight; 19th December 2006 at 11:08 PM.

Elite Trainer

Such a shame to see Cincy's playoff chances gone over a bad snap in the last minute of their game against Denver.....oh well. I can take comfort in the fact that the Steelers are also out ^_^

Hide in plain sight.
    -The Assassin's Creed

Elite Trainer

Such a shame to see Cincy's playoff chances gone over a bad snap in the last minute of their game against Denver.....oh well. I can take comfort in the fact that the Steelers are also out ^_^

HAHAHAHAHA! I mean thats too bad Ru-sa

Hey are the ravens still in the playoffs?

Cloyster Moderator

Yeah, didn't you see my above post? Heh, I don't think the Baltimore Sun could have made if more obvious, one of the biggest headlines I've seen since 9/11. Anyway they've clinched the division and as far as I know are second in the conference.

Elite Trainer

Wow, some crazy endings this season but here are the ranks for the playoffs!
    AFC
    1. Chargers
    2. Ravens
    3. Colts
    4. Patriots
    5. NY Jets
    6. Chiefs

NFC
    1. Bears
    2. Saints
    3. Eagles
    4. Seahawks
    5. Cowboys
    6. NY Giants

Saturday matchups: Chiefs at Colts, 'Boys at Seahawks
    Sunday: Jets at Pats, Giants at Eagles

Picks anyone? Superbowl picks? I'm really excited for these matchups. Jets-Pats looks to be my fave. Mangini vs. Belichik can't wait!! also i love the seahawks and the eagles so those games will be awesome to watch. and i lived in kc for a few years, so a lot of my family's big chiefs fans. then of course there's peyton's ongoing journey for a superbowl ring. Playoff time baby!!!

dratini by day

haunter by night

Best. Forum. Ever.

Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer

I reiterate my earlier call: Bears vs. Chargers/Ravens. I'll say Ravens, since Tomlinson's beginning to falter.

The game itself will be close... Ravens 17, Bears 13. There's the call.

Oh, and Colts will be upset by the Chiefs in round 1. No run defense + miracle opponent = short playoffs. You know it to be true.
    IT HAS RETURNED.
    THE TPM MAIN SITE.

Elite Trainer

Damn.......Cowboys, 'Hawks and Jets are my three alt teams so having all three in the playoffs makes picking one a pain in the ass. I've love to see the Jets since they've not won a Super Bowl since 1969. But then we've got the Cowboys for nostalga. The very first football game I watched was Super Bowl XXX. And finally we come to Seattle. I've got my fellow HS allumni Shaun Alexander with them and it would be absolutely awesome to see a hometown boy come home with a ring.

Decisions.......

Hide in plain sight.
    -The Assassin's Creed

Elite Trainer

Damn.......Cowboys, 'Hawks and Jets are my three alt teams so having all three in the playoffs makes picking one a pain in the ass. I've love to see the Jets since they've not won a Super Bowl since 1969. But then we've got the Cowboys for nostalga. The very first football game I watched was Super Bowl XXX. And finally we come to Seattle. I've got my fellow HS allumni Shaun Alexander with them and it would be absolutely awesome to see a hometown boy come home with a ring.

Decisions.......
    Hey Um....what happened to the Bengals?? Ooh and um....the ravens are still in the running arent they

Yeah Im a bitch lol <3 you Rudy XD