Fenrir
~~~~~

The dark scion of fire was not amused. Bored of the dull night his host had left him with, he had gone out in search of entertainment and found himself in the city’s industrial district. Sure, spending a few hours talking to the scum of the Earth wasn’t exactly how he’d wanted to spend his first night back on the planet but they did have their uses. Sometimes they would good place to start looking for fun. Sometimes the fun came to them.

That night, it was the latter.

Fenrir loved a good battle. And when one finally presented itself he was more than happy to take up the challenge. Of course, he wasn’t so stupid as to just charge in and find himself disappointed. No, the woman had to be tested first and the men who had taken up so much of his time were happy to offer their lives to her trial. He was sure she wasn’t human. What he knew of human woman didn’t fit the creature before him. No, he had decided that this one was most likely a scion. And, if he was very lucky, a light scion at that.

To lock horns so soon. I’m going to enjoy this.

The battle had been shorted than he’d desired, the fault being entirely his own. His cockiness had cost him his advantage, and not for the first time. He would never admit it, but he was relieved when he discovered his opponent was actually on his side.

Fenrir stood and thumbed the blood from his cheek. “I suppose that’s fair,” he said, rubbing it off on his fingers.

“More than fair,” Nazara replied.

He eyed the scion of light. “What are you doing here? Doesn’t seem like your usual hunting grounds.”

“Just experimenting with the new body.”

He smirked. “It’s a fine body.”

She stretched back a little, emphasising her breasts. A coy smile spread across her lips. “You noticed?”

“You’re toying with me.”

“Yes, but it’s fun.” She took a step closer and wiped another trickle of blood from his face. “I have a question for you.”

“Oh?”

“How do you feel about rebelling again?”

Fenrir shook his head. “Following you into battle didn’t exactly go well for me last time.”

“Call this payback for what I did for you last time.”

“Nice try, but I remember that being payment for a debt you made in the first rebellion. Cost me my favourite hand.” He turned away from her and stretched. “Sorry Nazara, but I’d rather spend what little time I have causing as much chaos as I can.”

“What if I told you I had something to offer?”

He glanced back at her over his shoulder, eyebrow raised. “And what would that be?”

“Me.”

He turned to face her fully and searched her face. He had no way of knowing what she was thinking, that much he knew, but he wanted to be sure. This offer sounded too good to him.

“Not interested?” She turned her back on him. “Never mind then.”

“Wait a minute. I didn’t say I wasn’t interested?”

“So you agree to help me?”

There was every chance she would end up betraying him. He knew Nazara, if the time came where his services were no longer required and her aims could be achieved with his demise, she wouldn’t hesitate to destroy him. Even so…

He moved over to her, so close there was barely any space between them. “I’ll help you, but on one condition. You have to help me achieve my goal.”

She turned her head towards him, watching him out of the corner of her eye. “Which is?”

“I’ll tell you later.”

She turned to him, considered his face for a moment and then nodded. “Very well.” She reached up on to her toes, touched his cheek with her hand and kissed him. “We have a deal.”

~~~
He awoke earlier than usual. Maybe it was how bright the morning was through those large windows or the unease of being in a hell hole of worship. Whatever the reason, he was awake. He lifted his head and looked over as the naked woman fast asleep beneath his arm. It was strange to know her like this; the scion so long denied a human form. But that didn’t mean he would forget what she was capable of.

He lifted his arm from her and climbed out of bed. He had never been fond of the routine of retrieving his clothes, it felt too much like an acceptance of guilt over things done the night before and Fenrir was never one who regretted a night spent with a woman. Nazara stirred as he was buttoning his jeans and he glanced over at her. It wasn’t his style to sleep with someone more than once but a body like her’s was difficult to deny was it put on display. He actually found himself somewhat excited at the prospect of spending another night with her.

He pulled on his t-shirt and wandered over the nearest window. Outside, people made their way back and forth. Maggots. They’ll burn. I’ll see to it every last one of them feels the pain of our existence.

“You’re still here.” Her voice sounded more irritated than surprised.

“I’m just leaving.” He slipped on his shoes. “I’ll be back tonight to continue our agreement.” He left her then and found one of the back exits of the Cathedral to slip out of. It was too early to deal with so many people.

Even though it was early for him, his host was already late for work. He realised this when an odd twinge panic momentarily caught him stomach. Guess I still haven’t taken over him completely. But then a cruel smile stretched onto the scion’s face. He hadn’t destroyed Karik’s spirit completely. A trace of the boy still lingered within him, a trace that carried with it a secret hatred for those who had looked down at him for years. For the woman who’d scorned him. Fenrir turned and made his way towards Karik’s office. There’s fun to be had today. Oh yes there is.

~~~

“You’re late, Karik! I’m docking you an hour’s pay for that.”

Fenrir said nothing and as the rest of the office looked on; Fenrir drew back his fist and punched the manager in the cheek. The beast of flubber and flannel fell back and everyone gaped. “You’re pathetic. All bark and no bite.” He pulled a lighter from his pocked and crouched down. “I’ll show you how to really put the fear of a god in someone.” He flicked the lighter and took the small flame into his palm. “Take notes, fatty, ‘cause this is going to be good.”

He launched a ball of fire towards the nearest female, grinning as it caught hold of the cheap fabric on her dress and began to spread. She screamed and flailed, begging for her others to help them, but no one rushed to her aid. Maybe they hoped the sprinklers would save her and they would be able to justify their cowardice but there would be rain from heaven to her save; he had already seen to that.

One by one, he torched his vessel’s former colleagues. Those who tried to run suffered slower fates than those who let their fear bind them completely. The boss was the last to die and he made sure it was the slowest. It was revenge, even if it wasn’t exactly his own and contrary to the popular belief he preferred this particular dish chargrilled and still smoking. He helped the dying flames on the corpses find new food in the building that had once been Karik’s torture chamber and left.

The street was unaffected. No one who walked past knew what he had done. The manager had done everything he could to separate the office and the outside world and his death had been all the sweeter for it. Oh how he’d screamed and begged to be set free. How he’d cried for help. But no one could hear him. He walked through the street, hands in his pockets and a grin on his face. He was long gone before anyone noticed the fire, already well on his way to see his next and final victim.