Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Lisa the Legend: Chapter 82 - Last Night on Earth now up! (24th June 2013)

Hybrid View

Super Moderator
    Super Moderator

Default Lisa the Legend - Chapter 52 up!!

Hi everybody! I'm back!

CHAPTER 39 IS DONE!

Not that i was really gone anywhere, but it's been a long time since the last chapter, and i did really think things would move faster after the last chapter.

Anyway, I spent like ... two months ... doing nothing with the next chapter, and then i sat down today and wrote the entire thing from start to finish! 5000 words in a day! I call that a success. It's in two separate posts, though.

I hope it was worth the wait ... I can only hope the next chapters move equally as fast!

Cheers!

---------------------------------------

Chapter 39 – Christmas Crush.

“It’s Christmas eve!” giggled Marina hopelessly, while Lisa stared at her watch in despair. “And you’re telling me you haven’t bought a single present yet?”

Lisa grunted, because she couldn’t even begin to say yes. The only present she had was a medallion for Aipom that she found in the enclosure at Moo-moo Farm during the Magnemite contest. The league battles with Hiro had basically washed everything else in the outside world off her mind completely.

‘It’s only two days since Hiro defeated Lance anyway,’ thought Lisa. ‘It’s not as if I dawdled here. Darius helped me out, of course. He got his Dad to hire some people to locate the buggy and take it back to Ecruteak, then gave Darius a car to drive us back to Ecruteak. How cool was that?’

“Lisa!” Marina cried loudly. She was quite flushed in the cheeks, and Lisa suddenly realised she had been daydreaming about Darius again. “Come on, I said. I don’t care if you’re depressed about where Gavin’s got to or what you’re going to do now that Kris gave you Vulpix back. We’ve got five hours before the shops shut, let’s make the most of it.”

Marina stood up, flicking her aquamarine hair away in a kind of symbol of motivation. Her eyes screamed ‘get up and go’ at Lisa, and the girl did just that. She grinned at Marina. “You’re taking me shopping?”

“Shopping in style,” said Marina, putting on a fake American accent. Lisa giggled.

“OK, you go get the limo ready and ask the chauffeur to have the doors open for us,” said Lisa, standing up and pushing the chair in at her dining room table. At least she was back home now. That was a start. “I’ll go get our credit cards and choose two tight dresses that we can both be falling out of the whole time.”

The girls dissolved into laughter and Marina ran up to Lisa’s room, where she had been sleeping since she had arrived in Ecruteak. Lisa clipped the lid back on her pink texta and closed the page of her notebook, where she had been trying to write a letter to Darius, but had ended up drawing about fifty hearts with their initials in it. Lisa looked at one and laughed again, suddenly noticing his initials.

“Ah well, he can’t help it,” she sighed to herself. “L.W. 4 D.H. – dammit.”

The chauffeur turned out to be Tom and the limo turned out to be his rattly old Galaxia. The tight-fitting dresses weren’t dresses at all though, which suited Lisa perfectly – jeans and a shirt were her thing. Unfortunately, their credit cards were keycards with about three-hundred dollars. Lisa was suddenly thankful that she had worked for a short time at the pokemon centre – it had increased her bank balance, if only slightly.

The Lakeside Mall was a massive white shopping centre with a huge glass roof, a dome in the centre court of the structure. Tall Norfolk Island pines lined every spare inch of the carpark. Tom dropped the girls off outside the Mall and promised to pick them up in the same spot – beside the letter box – when the mall closed at seven. Marina grabbed Lisa by the wrist and dragged her straight into a department store.

“First things first,” she said quickly, flicking her aquamarine hair back. “Your pokemon.”

“Of course,” said Lisa, who had actually not even considered what she was going to get for Elekid, Dratini, Fiskmire – and now, Vulpix. The department store – Gracy’s – was massive and absolutely packed with shoppers doing their last-minute shopping. Lisa was not surprised to see that most of them were male. “You had something in mind from the department shop? Ugh – slow down.”

Marina was trying to move fast but failing miserably. Even in the aisles of Gracy’s, there was a throng of people battling to find ideal presents. Marina didn’t take any notice of Lisa, until finally she was shunted roughly into a shoe rack by an elderly lady (whom Lisa later recognised to be her Year Five teacher, Mrs Grinton) and pulled Lisa into a tiny cavity between the rack and a wall. This small space was, at least, free of mad shoppers.

“I bought my pokemon some presents at the Battlemagic Counter the other day,” she admitted finally. “If you ask me, it’s an ideal place to find stuff for pokemon.”

Lisa nodded. “Sounds alright, then. As long as it’s cheap …”

“If I can afford it you can,” said Marina, clutching her bag close to her chest, as an unscrupulous-looking, red-haired woman seemed to lunge for it, then back away guiltily. “I didn’t know Gracy’s was so big,” she added, after a pause. “We’ll never get to the battlemagic counter at this rate.”

Something was stirring inside Lisa’s memory. The racks of beach towels! As a little kid (and as a bigger kid, too) she had often ducked inside them to hide from her Mum or Tom, just for fun. The racks ran in a zig-zag line, but were roughly parallel to the main paths in the shop. If she could get behind the piles of towels … she could zip ahead of the crowd and make it to the battlemagic counter quicker.

“This way,” said Lisa, taking charge this time. She waited for a break in the stream of people in the incoming throng, but there wasn’t one, so she pushed her way through, accidentally elbowing a man in the nose – and not waiting around for him to regain consciousness. It occurred to Lisa that they might make it to their destination easily if she just hammered everyone, but decided against the violent option.

They made it to the very centre of the crowd, which was moving at a rate of one centimetre per minute. Lisa jumped up once, and realised the towel racks were very close, just on the other side of the aisle. “What are you doing?” hissed Marina, sounding as though she thought Lisa had lost her mind. Lisa was burrowing determinedly through the rows of people, and with a cry of relief she burst through the other side, straight into a shelf of towels hanging from metal bars.

“In here,” called Lisa, ducking between a green towel and a Thunderstroke towel. She found herself in the centre of the racks – shielded on all sides from noise and most light by the fluffy towels. Marina came bursting through a pink bathmat a moment later, her hair flying everywhere.

“WHY ARE WE IN HERE?” she hissed loudly. “That guy you hit is going off now. You shouldn’t have rushed so much!”

Lisa giggled despite herself. “I didn’t mean to,” she said. “But I just remembered a really quick way to get around the shop. If we go through the towel and clothes racks – and I mean through the inside parts of them – we can get pretty much anywhere, without being stuck in a queue and missing out. It’s three o’clock already, so we gotta work fast.”

There was a kind of awed silence from Marina, during which Lisa heard a muffled roar coming from outside heir towel-haven. “You’re brilliant,” said Marina. “I never would have thought of that.”

They set off at once, sprinting through the insides of the towel racks. The rack ended after about ten metres, and they had to weave through another very small aisle to get across to a rack of baby clothes.

It was quite a good plan, and after five minutes the girls stepped out through a rack of dressing gowns to come face-to-face with a sign that said ‘Battlemagic’. The crowd here was actually much thinner; the people were sparse enough to walk through without breaking noses of squashing feet.

Lisa had been to Gracy’s hundreds of times, but not once could she recall seeing the Battlemagic section. It was tucked away in a corner, with towel racks on all four sides. There was a purple-haired girl at the counter, handing a young boy a strange object which looked like a simple rubber ball. Lisa goggled when she saw the boy investigate the ball, whisper something, and smile, satisfied, when a soft ring of light began circling around it.

“Can I help ya?” the purple-haired girl asked, chewing very loudly on some gum.

“Sure,” said Lisa, and Marina came with her up to the counter. “Do you have any items for fifteen bucks or less that would be suited for a Fiskmire, Elekid, Vulpix or Dratini? And an Aipom?”

Lisa was actually expecting the girl to grunt, or say “Dunno”, but she looking a bit annoyed. “One thing at a time,” she said. “What was first? Fiskmire? Hang on a sec.” The girl ducked under the counter for a second. Marina wandered to the side to gaze into a static lamp which looked normal enough, except for the fact that it had no glass covering.

The purple girl reappeared with a handful of bluish goo. “This stuff’s so cool,” she said. “My boyfriend gave me some. Hold out your hands.” Lisa shrugged and tucked her bag back behind her shoulder, then cupped her hands. The bluish liquid plopped into her hands heavily. It settled still for a moment, and then, without warning, a burst of water poured straight into Lisa’s face, then stopped instantly.

“Oh, idiot,” snapped the purple-hair girl. “You gotta keep the Aquaflox moving, otherwise it attacks.”

“Aquaflox?” repeated Lisa.

“It’s so cool, hey. I use it as hair gel for my Vaporeon, as an advantage in battle, that’s what my boyfriend said to do … he’s like ‘Use it for your hair, Del’ and I’m like ‘OK’ and he’s like …”

Lisa was playing with the Aquaflox, not hearing a word of the dull conversation. If she held the goo still for more than about ten seconds, water would squirt out at her in a little jet. But as long as she kept it moving, it would not do anything more than glint in the light.

“How much?” interrupted Lisa. The girl looked highly affronted.

“Fourteen ninety five,” she said. “For 200mL.”

“I’ll take it then,” agreed Lisa, and forked over the money. The girl took the Aquaflox back and tipped it into an egg-shaped container, then sealed it. Lisa took the egg happily. “Now, what about my Elekid?”

The girl ducked under the counter again.

“Lisa, look here,” called Marina enthusiastically. Lisa turned. Marina had in a tiny Butterfree – barely the size of a tennis ball – hovering around her. Every time she took a step, it hovered after her. “It’s a Guardian Angel,” she said, holding up a small sign. “You can get a Butterfree, Beedrill, Pidgey or Natu.” As she spoke, she walked around in a small circle, and the Butterfree hovered faithfully behind her. She smiled and patted its minute head, her cherry lips in a grin.

Lisa clicked her tongue. “It’d probably annoy you, following you round everywhere.”

“No way, I’m getting one,” said Marina resolutely.

Lisa turned back to the counter. The girl was obviously trying to find something and not having much success. The Battlemagic Section was actually very cluttered and looked completely disorganised. The towel racks surrounded it on two sides, the other two sides were solid walls, painted black with hundreds of glittery stars.

“Here,” said the shop assistant, still looking annoyed as she handed Lisa the object. It was what she had seen the boy walking away with – a shiny red rubber ball, a bit bigger than a golf ball.

“What is it?” asked Lisa.

“A Buzzball. Great item to use. It senses your thoughts and reacts appropriately. For example –” the girl took the ball back, closed her eyes for a moment, and suddenly the Buzzball began expanding until it was the size of a Jigglypuff. “It has something like twenty different uses.”

The battlemagic section was looking to be like magic after all. Lisa bought the Buzzball, then decided to get two, one for herself and one for Elekid. She felt a bit selfish then, buying gifts for herself. Both the buzzball and aquaflox could be used by her as well. So she quickly bought every one of her pokemon a large chocolate bar, which the girl said had healing properties, on top of their other gifts. Dratini’s present was actually twenty dollars, but she bought it anyway because of how great it was. It was a glass orb, filled with blue light. The girl explained that its use was only revealed once the orb was broken over the pokemon – or person. Lisa bought a bottle of something called Jellimer for Vulpix, as well as a collar. Aipom ended up with a collar which was said to exercise control over the wearer. Lisa also threw in a few Magic Items for herself.

Her wallet was lighter, her basket filled with presents. Marina paid for her Guardian Butterfree, and Lisa said goodbye to the Battlemagic shop, which she definitely had a liking for. The girls made their way through the towel racks again, deciding what to do next.

The next two hours were very profitable. Lisa bought almost everyone’s presents in Gracy’s. Jean, a 110% Hits CD; Wesley, a huge supply of chocolates; Mum, a silk bathrobe (with her initials embroidered on it by very skilled Jynxes); Dad, an Ecruteak Fruitbats hat and jersey; Tom, a replenished supply of potions; Miki, a new necklace of beads which Lisa knew she had been considering buying. Lisa had a few more presents to buy; Charmaine, Tuscany, Marina, Gavin and Darius. She thought of Hiro and Kris, but almost immediately realised she would probably not see them again for a long time, especially if they were already on their new journey.

“How about CDs?” suggested Marina, and they raced through the towel racks again, getting much more able to see in the darkness. The crush of people in the rest of the shop had barely reduced.

Lisa bought both Tuscany and Charmaine a Julienne Brextar album. The three of them had loved the song ‘Get over it or get out’ at school, and Lisa thought it would be a perfect reminder of their friendship.

“Darius really wanted that book,” Lisa said to herself. “The one about the War in Kanto.”

“There’s never been one, has there?” said Marina, confused, as they ducked through the baby clothes.

“It’s fiction. Kind of like a ‘what if this happened to Kanto’?”

“Oh. So what’s Darius look like?” Marina said, and though they were in darkness, Lisa thought she could see the gleam in Marina’s eyes as she asked.

“Really cute,” said Lisa, in her truthful opinion.

“Ooooh, crush on Darius eh? That’d be like dating the royals, with his Dad being Lance and all. The paparazzi will be all over you in seconds.”

“I don’t really have a crush on him,” lied Lisa.

“Scaaaaaandal!” giggled Marina.

“Shut up,” said Lisa, then decided to change the subject. “This basket’s really heavy. It keeps hitting on the metal bars.”

Marina didn’t seem to notice the subject change, or if she did, she decided to let it go. “Mine is too. I keep dropping the hat of your Dad’s. Let’s just leave them here, then. We’ll come back and get ‘em after we find the book for Darius.”

“Sounds good,” said Lisa, though she did flinch slightly when she heard Darius’ name come back into the conversation. Marina, however, didn’t persist with that train of thought, and instead dropped the shopping basket at her feet. The girls pushed their way through the jeans that were hanging in front of them and walked through the clothes section until they found a book display. It was nearly six in the evening, and at last the crush of people seemed to have thinned considerably. At the book display, Lisa located the book immediately and plucked it off the shelf for Darius. She would see him tomorrow probably – he had had to go see his Uncle urgently about something, apparently. Then, almost instantly, she found a book that Marina would love – a guide to the Waterways of Johto, Kanto and Kohtu.

“Look away, I found your present,” said Lisa. Marina closed her eyes and Lisa took the book, while Marina’s Butterfree hovered over her shoulder, blinking its beady eyes. Lisa hid the book behind her back, and told Marina she could look again. Marina opened her eyes, then was suddenly jostled roughly to the side by a red-haired woman; Lisa recognised her instantly from a few hours ago, when she had pushed tried to take Marina’s bag. The red-haired woman – who was only in her early twenties – probably would have walked straight on, but she glanced up and caught Lisa’s eye.

The red-haired woman’s eyes widened. “Lisa Walters!”

Lisa expected to suddenly remember the woman from somewhere, but she didn’t. She was sure she had never met this woman before, she would remember.

“You …” said the redhead, swinging her bag at Lisa and thudding it into her shoulder, where it cracked loudly. Lisa winced with pain as it began to bruise; the redhead simply took another vicious swing at her. Lisa caught her eyes once more – they were filled with fire, blazing in her iris. She was furious.

“Leave her alone!” cried Marina, moving into battle mode. But she never got as far as throwing out the pokeball of her Mudkip; the teeny tiny Butterfree had swooped down with a squeak from Marina’s shoulder and a Psybeam – about as wide as a pencil – shot from it’s antennae straight at the woman. It hit her in the eye and she cried in pain.

There was scarcely a moment’s hesitation. Lisa and Marina were pelting away, ducking around the occasional customer, until they finally found themselves facing a row of jeans, and leapt into them. The Butterfree followed, still squeaking angrily.

“Thank you!” Lisa gasped, rubbing her shoulder.

“My Guardian Butterfree …” she breathed. “It saved you.”

As a reply, the insect squeaked angrily, then hovered over to Marina’s shoulder and settled down again. Marina patted it in a kind of distracted way. The girls felt around in the dark for the baskets and found them quite quickly, then – not trusting their hiding place to be 100% secure, they ran back through them until they reached the towel rack where they had first begun their shopping spree. They paid for their gifts very hastily, looking around every five seconds to see whether the red-haired lady was going to come out from nowhere and scream at them.

It was only a little after six-thirty, so Tom wouldn’t be coming to pick them up outside the letterbox for almost another half-hour. The girls ducked into a small café and ordered a milkshake each. They dumped their bags down and sunk into a chair each.

“You sure you’ve never seen her before?” asked Marina, licking froth off her lips.

“Positive. I definitely didn’t do anything to offend her,” said Lisa, drinking her shake through a straw. She breathed out heavily and shakily. “At least that day’s over. I feel like I’ve spent the whole day either in a crowd or alone in the towel racks.”

“It was a stroke of genius, I reckon,” said Marina. “But you still have a present to buy, remember?”

Lisa did remember, naturally. Gavin. She was feeling a bit dejected, as though he had run off to have adventures with someone else and left her in the dust. He could be anywhere now – it had been two nights ago that Melanie had explained to Lisa that Gavin was gone.

They ended up doing a last-second shop in Tyrell’s Gift Mart, where Lisa settled on a bright red T-shirt for Gavin, along with a roll of film for his camera, that he seemed to take everywhere. She felt extremely dissatisfied with her choice for him, feeling that she could have done a hell of a lot better.
    Last edited by Gavin Luper; 1st August 2007 at 12:58 PM.
    ...Quest for the Truth of the Legend ...

Lisa the Legend

Winner of 12 Silver Pencil Awards 2011 - Including Best Plot, Best Character in a Leading Role, Best Moment and Best Fic of the Forum for Lisa the Legend!

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pikachu
    Feel free to withdraw at any time, Gavin.

Quote Originally Posted by DragoKnight View Post
    ...Far too many references!! You're like the Swiss army knife of discussion.

Super Moderator
    Super Moderator

Christmas morning dawned bright and warm. The sky was clear as it could possibly be, filled with a festive warmth. The bells of the Tin Tower rang twelve times as the sun came up, as they always did on a special day. It was the bells, though they were distant, that woke Lisa up.

She was sprawled on her bed, staring up at the ceiling. The sunlight was flooding in through the balcony door and window. Lisa threw off her quilt and pulled the door open, feeling a light morning breeze playing across her face. The scent of Christmas was in the air, for sure.

Marina lay on the soft, thick carpet – she had apparently rolled off her mattress during the night. Lisa kicked her foot and Marina stirred. Realisation spread across her face at once.

“Merry Christmas Lisa,” she said sleepily.

“Merry Christmas,” replied Lisa, and together they tiptoed into the hall, down the carpeted stairs, through the entry and into the lounge room. Marina’s baby Butterfree followed them the entire way, squeaking softly.

The Christmas tree was looking beautiful in the morning sun that streamed through the window; the tinsel shone and reflected every bit of light. The bottom of the tree could not be seen; it was completely obscured by the dozens of gifts which had been placed there last night. Carols were playing somewhere in the room, softly.

Across the sofas, there were four pillowcases filled with presents, all of them overflowing. Each one had a name embroidered on it. “No way! No no no …” Marina gasped, seeing her name sewn into the one beside Lisa’s. It was full up with presents. “Lisa, your parents didn’t …”

“We did,” said Lisa’s Dad, walking into the room. He had Gavin’s Ditto suctioned onto his arm, and was trying to flick it off, without success. “Lisa told us that you didn’t have a home; that you go everywhere by boat. So we thought we’d make Christmas a bit better for you. Don’t,” he added, as Marina began to protest. “Say that we shouldn’t have. We can afford it – our Omanyte expedition in Kanto was a huge success … I’d venture far enough to say we’re yuppies now,” he said, laughing.

Marina blushed scarlet at this.

“Don’t get used to him being so nice,” said Lisa loudly to Marina. “Make the most of it.”

Within five minutes, Wes and Jean were awake and were tearing open presents. Lisa joined in crazily, as did her father. Marina sat oddly still, almost afraid, opening each present very slowly. Lisa’s Mum walked in and tried to clean up the room – the floor was invisible beneath the wrapping paper – but everyone responded by throwing out more mess,

Lisa decided that it was probably best if she gave her pokemon their presents now, else it wouldn’t feel quite as Christmassy. Each of them popped out from their pokeballs and began chattering loudly and incoherently – except Aipom, who was still asleep. Lisa handed them presents in turn, as Marina did the same with her pokemon. Elekid took the buzzball and it instantly emitted two bolts of electricity at Mudkip, who looked highly offended, and turned away and spoke to Fiskmire in a very loud voice.

The noise began to settle down after awhile in the spacious lounge room, until Wes and Jean both cried out loudly at once.
    “OH MY GOD!”
    “NOT JOKING?”

Lisa looked over at them to see what the fuss was about. Wesley was holding a pokeball, and Jean had just thrown one of her own, revealing a tiny Bulbasaur. Wes threw his quickly, and an Omanyte appeared slowly from the swirl of light which emerged from the ball.

“Merry Christmas!” screamed Dad at them both, and for once the discontented look dissolved from Jean’s face and she smiled.

Lisa considered that she had a good haul. Marina had given her a massive tin of musk-flavoured rock; her parents had given her a new pokegear, along with many new clothes, earrings, a fresh Recovery Kit, and the game Twister. She was foraging under the tree for more presents when her heart thudded. There was a small rectangular gift lying right at the centre of the tree. ‘To Lisa, Merry Christmas, From Gavin xo’. It wouldn’t have been so odd if it had been there earlier – but it had not been present last night, and now it was – a gift from Gavin. She stared at it for a moment, then sat down on the sofa amid Elekid and Vulpix’s play battle.

Lisa was tearing open the beautifully wrapped package from Gavin, when Aipom finally awoke. It was probably Jean’s Bulbasaur who did it, by standing on his tail, but all the same, Aipom awoke in the same hyperactive mood as ever, and began swinging wildly from the top of the Christmas tree, snatching Lisa’s gift straight from her hands as he went.

“Aipom! No!” Lisa yelled. “Come back!”

He swung off the light fitting, and swung right outside the door. Lisa didn’t waste time; she pelted right after him. The explanation she had deduced was that Gavin was back in Ecruteak and had sneaked into the house last night to give her a Christmas present. What it could be that was so important for him to emerge from his runaway status was beyond Lisa, but she absolutely had to find out.

She was chasing Aipom towards the pool when Marina yelled her name from the door. “Take this!” she called, throwing something to Lisa. Lisa put out her hands to catch it – her Buzzball. She felt that the Aquaflox would have been more useful, but she took it, gripped it tightly and waited for something to happen. The girl at the shop had said it picked up on thoughts – did she have to think at the ball, like telling it what to do, or just desire something for it to do.

Get the present back for me, thought Lisa, squeezing the rubber ball. Retrieve the present, somehow. Get it off Aipom.

The ball was annoyingly still, but just as Lisa was about to throw it down in frustration, a jet of electricity crackled through the air at Aipom, who was now scampering up a tree, arcing slowly until it connected with Aipom, zapping him. Lisa thought it must be like Thunderwave attack. Either way, she muttered thanks to the ball and ran to the tree, at the foot of which lay Aipom. The present was a metre away. Lisa picked it up, and quickly unwrapped it – there was a small box, one of the kinds that usually holds jewellery. She opened it tentatively, and saw a thin silver necklace, and a folded piece of paper. From Gavin.

She fumbled with the paper in her haste to open it and read. Eventually she managed it, and read:

Dear Lisa,

I found this a while ago. I just worked out what it is. Hold it. Say what it tells you to.

Merry Christmas,

Gavin.

“Thanks for telling me where you are, how you are and what the hell’s wrong!” spat Lisa, putting the necklace on. “Say what it tells me to? What would that be?” Just as she said that, the air around her crackled as though with electricity, and words formed in thin air, apparently made from concentrated light.

‘Porta Restrigere.’

“Porta res – restrigere,” said Lisa obediently.

Nothing happened.

“Porta restrigere?” she repeated.

And, without warning, Aipom, who was lying at her feet, stunned, glowed an eerie blue and disappeared, as though he had just decided to leave. But he didn’t; moments later, the words glowing in thin air rearranged and formed into a hazy picture of Aipom, strolling through a forest. Then, again without warning, the light which was showing the picture of Aipom concentrated into a dense ball of light, about the size of Marina’s Butterfree, and raced at Lisa’s neck; at the necklace.

On the necklace, there was now a small silver representation of Aipom, hanging off it like a charm.

And, though it came as a shock to Lisa at first, it took only seconds to realise that she now had one of the newest technologies – what Lance had – a special, hands-free pokeball.

The day passed very slowly. No news from Gavin. No word from Darius whether he was coming back to see Lisa ever again or not. Lisa fiddled with her Buzzball, which quickly became her favourite new toy. She was learning to use it more now. It needed accurate thinking, which she hoped she had.

Marina spent a lot of time in the pool on Christmas Day. Lisa joined her once or twice, but was annoyed after awhile by Marina’s Guardian Butterfree hovering everywhere.

That night there was to be a family gathering at the Walters’ household – the second one in a week. Tom and Miki were there, along with some of Lisa’s aunties and uncles and cousins, and her Nanna, who made a special trip from the Retirement Village in Tower Street.

Night fell at around eightish.

Lisa was sitting at a table with her cousins, Davis and Jamie, with Marina. Lisa was completely bored. She gazed around, tapping her fingers on the table and staring out into the dark extremities of the Walters’ property, as though Darius would appear from the shadows and join her at the table.

She was glancing out into the shadows, trying to conjure Darius up so he could be there with her. She was getting doubts – was he really with his uncle, or had he just rejected her like that. Not that he knew her feelings yet, but at that moment Lisa wanted nothing more than to be with Darius, cuddling into him.

From the shadows, perhaps only metres away, perhaps on the other side of town, Lisa didn’t know, but a streak of light came soaring from the ground. She saw it and noticed that everyone around her seemed to be still talking, but no sounds were coming out. The streak of light – a mixture of red and gold – arced up into the sky, looking purposeful and strong, then grew fainter and fainter, until Lisa could barely see it; then the streak had disappeared into the night sky; it was only a memory; an imprint in her golden eyes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Next up on Lisa the Legend

Loneliness can be one of the worst feelings in the world – especially when coupled with rejection.

“Almost two months,” said Lisa softly. She felt weary, even though she hadn’t exercised for days. “No sign of Darius or Gavin.”

Marina nodded knowingly. “I’ll see what I can do.”

But even in the mood she’s in, Lisa’s can’t ignore the law.

“I don’t understand,” Lisa said, feeling faint.

“I’m sorry,” said the crisp voice from the other end of the phone. “But both you and Gavin Thomas Luper are needed for the trial.”

A trial? Lisa and Gavin in trouble with the law? It couldn’t be … or could it?

“I don’t really know much about it,” admitted the girl, sitting beside Lisa in the draughty room. “But it’s really serious. They won’t let us have anything from outside. Not even shampoo! Look at these split ends!”

Chapter 40 – Colour Blind.

Lisa the Legend

Winner of 12 Silver Pencil Awards 2011 - Including Best Plot, Best Character in a Leading Role, Best Moment and Best Fic of the Forum for Lisa the Legend!

everyone needs a tiger to love Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Yayies! TWo new chapters!!!!

Awwwwww......the liddle bitty Butterfree is sooooooooo cute!!!!!

Who is that red haired lady anyway?

Oh well......poor Lisa....no sign of both Darius and Gavin...awwwww.....

Nice Christmas chapter anyways..^__^

pretty banner made by wurz ^^

I'm Over the Top! AKIRA SHOCK.

finally I have an asb banner ^^U

Beginning Trainer
    Beginning Trainer

Good chapter, please continue!
    Step follows step, Hope follows courage,Set your face toward danger, Set your heart on victory, Victory for Bamarre!

Super Moderator
    Super Moderator

------ANNOUNCEMENT------

Ahem: As we approach the fortieth chapter, I thought it would be high time to make this announcement. Everyone should probably remember the crossover of LTL and EBTV which was posted much earlier this year. Well, brace yourselves for a sequel, guys, cause it's coming!

Yeps! Chapters 41 and 42 of Lisa the Legend are going to be Crossover chapters, again written by Oz Andrew and myself.

NEW CROSSOVER! HOORAY!

More details coming soon, but be on the lookout for this new installment in the story! Cheers!

PS: Kirby, sorry I didn't get much time yesterday!

Lisa the Legend

Super Moderator
    Super Moderator

About time I got into the swing of things! Chapter 40 is up and ready to be read! I cut it short but for good reason ... so the next chapter isn't the crossover, chapter 42 will be the beginning of the crossover.

Have fun with the next chapter. Oh, and yes, I have done away with the previews!

Cheers!

------------------------------

Chapter 40 – Missing.

Darius Hudson had occupied Lisa’s thoughts over the past two months. For her, they had been the loneliest months of her entire life. Every day she crawled out of bed, convincing herself that today he would call her on her phone; today a letter would arrive with her name written on it in curly letters; today a fifty-kilobyte email would appear in her inbox as she turned the computer on. Every evening she reluctantly trailed up to her bedroom and stared at a photo of them together – the only one – taken at Silver City before Christmas. By Gavin.

With every day that passed, Lisa too thought about Gavin, but she did not feel the urgency to receive some contact from him that she felt with Darius. Marina often made her feel guilty about this, but Lisa had convinced herself her feelings were justified.

“I know Gavin’s there … somewhere,” she replied, shortly before New Years. “But Darius seems to have just slipped off the face of the earth.”

Marina had chuckled at that. “Lisa, he’s staying with his Uncle somewhere in the city. He gave you the address. Go find his uncle and ask.”

But Lisa had blushed a dull shade of magenta and refused to talk about her two friends any further. She didn’t want to go and see Darius’ Uncle, what if Darius had just gone back to the Plateau with his Dad? Just abandoned Lisa. Not wanting to tell Lisa … He probably didn’t even like her anyway.

“It’s not like we were ever going out,” Lisa said dully to herself, lying in bed early one morning.

She was feeling particularly rejected now because Marina had gone to spend a week with her pokemon – apparently Mudkip and Starmie were getting ‘restless’ (“Worst excuse I ever heard,” snapped Lisa). She would currently be canoeing somewhere near Olivine, perhaps going east into the river systems of Tokor. The only bright spot was that she promised to come and visit again when the week was over; she was due back any day now.

It was a warm February morning and the post had yet to come, meaning Lisa still had a sliver of enthusiasm about her. She slithered up from bed, straight into the muggy February heat, and headed straight for the door. The pool would be perfect at this time of morning. It had been such a hot summer; she almost wanted winter to come back - almost.

The pool was lovely and cool, but Lisa couldn’t concentrate. Maybe it was because she was in such a reflective mood, but suddenly the pool – and indeed the entire backyard – felt foreign to her, separated from reality somehow. Memories were darting through her head. This backyard was where she had nearly drowned as a child, then been rescued by something beneath the water – but when she looked again, it was gone. In this backyard she had been told by Tom of his engagement to Miki (the wedding was barely two weeks away) and at the engagement party itself, she had seen the mystical beast Suicune appear from nowhere, and take something of Gavin’s. A little under two months ago she had chased Aipom through the backyard, until she had accidentally trapped him in a special poke-device, the name of which she still did not know. She had, however, discovered how to release him, and found he was much happier in the new device.

But, most significantly to Lisa, in this backyard, on Christmas night she had seen something nobody else appeared to have seen. A streak of light – like a flame – had darted through the sky, up towards the heavens, then dissipated until it was gone. In amongst worrying about Darius and Gavin and Aipom, Lisa had been trying to determine what this was. Her very first thought had been The Great Phoenix, but she realised very quickly that the streak had been far too small for the Phoenix. She had, after all, ridden on its back once, and knew it to be far bigger.

Lisa actually giggled to herself when she thought about this, because it was something she did not go talking about. About 95% of people did not believe in Legendary Pokemon, and about half of those who did were under the age of five. People were sceptical … some thought people who believed in Legendaries were mad. Therefore Lisa had not shared her experiences with anybody – excluding Gavin, who went through most of it with her. Even Marina did not know how strange the last four months had been for Lisa. The only other human being who knew was Anna, and she had died shortly after working everything out. At the hands of a vengeful firebeast …

“Entei!” the words burst from Lisa’s mouth and it seemed so obvious that she had no idea why the thought had not occurred to her some time before. Of course. Entei! The rogue Legendary Dog, who turned against his brothers Suicune and Raikou, tried to kill them, then raged at Anna instead … Lisa winced painfully as she saw terrifying images in her mind … flames licking at a tree, screaming girl, panic, cloak of darkness … three shining, deadly orbs … tearing into Anna’s heart …

“STOP IT!” said Lisa firmly to herself, and realised that she was sweating heavily, panting like a dog. She instantly threw her head into the cool water and felt her mind take get a grip. She breathed very slowly, her mouth drooping, voice shaking as she said. “I’ve moved on.”

And with that, Lisa wrenched herself from the pool and sprinted back inside.

Darkness had fallen over Ecruteak and the regions nearby. In a very small, very cold room, a man was writing at a desk, a lamp on his table – an eerie static lamp, without a glass covering. It flickered dangerously, washing a small amount of light over the room, but the waves of electricity seemed to know when to halt; it was as though they knew not to overstep their bounds.

A phone shrilled in the dimness, and the man instantly flipped open a mobile phone and said, without reserve. “I hope they’re dead.”

A woman’s voice replied very shakily. “Only … only one is …”

The man at the desk did not need to be in the presence of his underlings to have control over them. Not these days. He hissed in a low voice, venomous words at the Lamp. Its flickering increased for a single moment, then a bolt of light broke free from the cluster and shot straight through the wall. The man did not need reassurance; he laid back and smiled without a hint of mirth.

“URGENT NEWS FOR LISA WALTERS!”

It was obviously Marina. Lisa leapt up from the barstool at which she was eating breakfast. She was watching TV and feeling quite relaxed – she had put yesterday’s pool drama behind her. She made it to the door in record time and opened it to see Marina dripping wet and grinning. Her Guardian Butterfree squeaked happily and buzzed around Lisa’s head three times, evidently happy to see her. Lisa reached out and patted it before Marina could talk.

“Yes, I had a great time,” Marina said, laughing quietly as Butterfree buzzed back to her shoulder. “Tokor isn’t quite as it used to be, though. Mudkippy loved it though. He got a crush on my brother’s Pichu, which I honestly found really disturbing. The river was so nice.”

“Where’d you leave the canoe?” Lisa asked enthusiastically as they walked inside the hallway, Marina slipping on the tiles.

“Stashed it under a little outcrop at the Lake,” replied Marina, still soaking wet. “By the way, I’m not wet from the canoe ride, your neighbours have sprinkler issues. Towels?”

Lisa went to get one from the linen closet, noticing that Marina was a lot chirpier than when she left. She had not been boating for a few weeks – Lisa had tried canoeing with her one weekend at the Lake but she couldn’t get the thrust of it. She returned and gave it to her friend, then remembered her original greeting. “What’s your urgent news?”

Marina was drying her hair vigorously, and Lisa was pleased to see it was a brighter, healthier aquamarine colour. Lisa had asked her what dye she used once, and Marina explained that she didn’t. “It’s not natural either though … it comes from drinking the cerutea we make back in Tokor … it’s very rare, though.”

“My urgent news,” said Marina triumphantly. “Is this. Or these, I should say.”

She pulled two envelopes, one much thicker than the other, from her backpack, which was thankfully dry, and handed them to Lisa. Both had Lisa’s name on; the major difference was that the thinner one was typed and had a Johto Ministry of Justice emblem on it – the other was handwritten, very messily, in familiar handwriting.

“Gavin?” Lisa breathed. “Where’d you get these?”

Marina threw the towel onto the bench as the girls came back into the kitchen. Lisa’s bowl of Coco’s Crunch was still only half-eaten. “I got the legal letter from your letterbox,” explained Marina. “But the other one … well, I slipped on the wet paving – stupid sprinkler – and fell over the garden gnome, you know, the yellow one with the big nose? The envelope was just lying there … wonder how long it’s been there?”

Lisa was already tearing it open, but her Mum suddenly breezed through the dining room from upstairs. “Marina! You’re back!” she called pleasantly, swathed in a bathrobe. Lisa didn’t know why, but she found herself tuck the envelopes away in her jeans, and back away slowly towards the staircase.

Marina met her at the top of the stairs. “What was with that?” she asked curiously, walking into the bathroom and dumping the towel in the basket there.

“I dunno,” Lisa replied lamely. “I didn’t want Mum to see the letters … I want to see them first.” Marina shrugged and closed the bathroom door to have a shower – after asking for a towel in the first place. The Butterfree only just squeezed in after her before the door slammed shut. Lisa headed for her room.

The bedroom was bathed in a warm morning glow. Lisa sat down on her bed and plucked the letters from the pocket of her jeans and opened the envelope of Gavin’s letter. Thick pages of paper unfurled from it, along with another, smaller envelope, which was padded. Lisa took the first page and began to read.

Dear Lisa,

Hi it’s me. How are you? I’m alright, if you’re wondering –
    (“IF I’m wondering,” snorted Lisa) I haven’t spoken to you since we were at the hotel in Silver City a few days ago, and I don’t know if you know what happened. I’d like to explain everything to you in full at the moment, but … well, I don’t want to. You see, my Uncle died … look, I’ll explain it to you one day, later on. But I just don’t feel like it right now OK?

Anyway, I’m gone but I’m fine. I won’t tell you where I’m living at the moment because I know you’ll try to chase me up and I really just want to be left alone right now. DON’T GO SEARCHING FOR ME, alright? I’m fine … besides, the police probably don’t like me very much at the moment.

How’s Staryu and Lanturn? And Ditto, come to think of it? They’d better be good because I left them in your care. Wes and Jean can take care of Staryu and Lanturn if they want to. Until I get back … I’ll see you again one day, alright? I don’t know when … Oh yeah, Merry Christmas. Did you get my present? I got Natu to teleport into your place last night and put it under the tree.. I hope you can work out what to do with it though … just remember what Lance did. The rest of your present is in here, in the envelope. Hope you like it.

I’ll speak to you again.

Gavin.

Lisa blinked. She had waited two months for this? She had been so excited about getting a letter from Gavin, hoping it would have been placed under the gnome just recently. But by the sounds of it, he had quickly rushed it there some time on Christmas day. The last six words were very messy and had obviously been rushed. Gavin himself must have been in a rush … how had he delivered it to Lisa without her seeing?

Without thinking, she read it through twice more to memorise its contents.

“Let me read!” pleaded Marina loudly, and Lisa suddenly noticed she had apparently finished her shower … a world record timing for Marina. Lisa handed the page over to Marina, who picked it up and read it eagerly. Lisa turned to the other sheets of paper and her eyes bulged. She read the piece of paper very slowly, her Guardian Butterfree peering over her shoulder.

Curse of the Luper Family, said the title at the top. And following it were pages and pages of symbols and runes, which Lisa could not understand at all. They were completely foreign to her. One sheet of paper had each type of rune printed on it once – Lisa decided it must be the cipher. Five of them had been deciphered; G, A, V, I and N, probably by Gavin himself. As for the others … Lisa didn’t see how she could begin to decipher the pages. Some of the pages were text, one looked like a family tree.

“Oh, why didn’t he say more?” Marina said after reading through the letter.

“Ditto,” muttered Lisa, not referring to the pokemon. She had hoped for this letter to prove to her that Gavin was currently perfectly fine, living in Ecruteak, maybe asking for them to meet again. But it was dated from last year. For all she knew, Gavin could have tripped and fallen over a cliff on Boxing Day. It was very unsettling. She almost wished he had not sent anything.

Marina seemed to pick up on her mood. Even the Butterfree on her shoulder stopped squeaking. “You’ll see him soon. He said ‘I’ll speak to you again’.”

“How soon is ‘again’?”

Clicking her tongue, Marina placed the letter back in the envelope. “I don’t know,” she said dumbly.

Lisa exploded. “IT’S BEEN NEARLY TWO MONTHS! NO SIGN FROM DARIUS OR GAVIN SINCE THEN! HOW DO I KNOW THEY’RE NOT BOTH DEAD?”

Marina stood up and Lisa mirrored her. “Lisa, I think what happened to Anna has got to you! Not everyone gets killed by Entei!”

“I didn’t say they had!” yelled Lisa. “Besides, Entei does kill some people!”

“You’re completely paranoid!” Marina cried.

“I’m not!”

“You are! Just because Anna died you think Gavin will too!”

“You weren’t there!” spat Lisa. “You didn’t see the attacks. You didn’t see her chest getting torn open! YOU DIDN’T SEE HER BODY FALL INTO THE FLAMES!”

Marina’s breathing was laboured. She looked flushed. “Lisa, get a grip!”

“How about around your neck?” cried Lisa savagely, looking for something to throw in her temper. She found Aipom’s now unused pokeball and threw it at Marina. Marina yelled and flinched, but a thin jet of lavender light shot out from her left shoulder connected with the pokeball and pushed it off course.

The Guardian Butterfree squeaked angrily at both the girls and zoomed off to sit by itself on the windowsill.

Lisa blinked, feeling the anger ooze out of her like Aquaflox. Marina blinked too, then suddenly they both rushed in and embraced each other, sobbing hopelessly.

“I’m sorry,” they said simultaneously.

Marina parted, wiping her eyes. “Let’s go to the lake. I need some time to calm down, a change of scenery, don’t you?”

Nodding, Lisa followed her out through the door, as did the Butterfree, though reluctantly.. They decided to head down to the lake, go fishing, go for a swim in a lake instead of a pool, maybe even test out their battlemagic tools. For the first time in nearly two months, Lisa felt actually happy. She went with Marina to the lake within half an hour, the letter from the Johto Ministry of Justice lying on her bed, completely forgotten.
    Last edited by Gavin Luper; 1st August 2007 at 12:59 PM.

Lisa the Legend

For Real Reals. Super Moderator
    Super Moderator

Ya know, I know why I realized why I love LTL. It doesn't try to be a trainer fic, it does its own thing when it wants and your writing style compliments it so well. Great work!

Still 2 months later... how unsettling it is to rejoin them so much later!

Seems Lisa's getting more unsettled as time goes by ain't she. Poor thing. She's got too much time to think and not enough doing of things. Get her mind off of things.

Marina's hair colour explained, well I wasn't expecting that! But still its a nice explanation! The sprinkler comment was hillarious too.

Ooh it'd seem Gavin's dead... or locked away safe somewhere to avoid that curse Ala Final Destination 2. Oh well, We'll miss you gav! But not Darius, we never really got to know you as well lol.

And once again Baby Butterfree steals the show! Its amazingly charasmatic without saying a thing. The little touches make it one of my favourite characters.

Anyway, have a great holiday in Perth and I can't wait till you get back! TTYL! Great work!

Donator Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer
    (Donator)

A mysetrious letter from Jhoto Ministry of Justice (whatever that is)? it must be somethgin importaint, she completely forgot about it
    bit of a short chapter, but I'm looking forward to teh always-exciting crossover chap that's coming up.
    Mew Master's Officially Approved #1 Fan

Read his fics, or I'll bash you with the Mallet of Ficcy Goodness.

Follower of ~DR the Art God, possessor of The Mechanical Pencil of Reality and The Book of Recorded Reality.

Banned

That Guardian Butterfree is just so cool. I agree with OzAndrew about how it can be a neat character without saying a word.

Although... I wonder what that other letter is. I guess we'll find out soon. (Could it be the notice that Lisa's library book is excessively overdue, and kind of stolen? ^_^)

Another crossover? That sounds fun. I really like crossovers and such. It's interesting to see two seperate stories that take place in the same world, especially when those characters meet up with each other.

This chapter was interesting as it just showed what Lisa had been doing, and how she felt. (and Marina too.) Besides the letter from Gavin, Lisa didn't do a whole lot, and yet it was still a interesting chapter to read. I like seeing things like this, where we can get insight on the normal lives of the characters. (Well, as normal as Lisa's can be.)

I'm looking forward to the next chapter, and the crossover as well. Keep it up!

Super Moderator
    Super Moderator

Ta-da! Have fun guys!

------------------------------------------------

Chapter 41 – Waterfalls and Warnings.

Excluding a few bouts of summer drought, Ecru Lake had experienced a very pleasant year. There had been plentiful rain and the banks of the River Kymor, which flowed into the Lake through the Northern Mountains from Kohtu and Houen, were flourishing with new life. Plentiful ferns and reeds overhung the crystal clear river, which was always flowing steadily from the peak of Mt Myrias. The fauna fared equally as well, with many tadpoles already developing into strong little Poliwag. Even some Mudkip and Chinchou had been spotted at the bottom of the waterfall, where the river met the lake.

The waterfall ran down a steep rocky face, frothing at the foot into the lake, which was a very pretty crystalline azure colour. At the foot of this waterfall, on a thin stretch of sand, stood Marina and Lisa, each holding a fishing rod. Lisa was highly dubious of their spontaneous venture.

“How many fish d’you think we’re gonna actually catch at the bottom of a waterfall?” Lisa asked, dragging her fishing rod around in a small circle, wondering if the bait was still hooked on. “Still living fish, I mean,” she added, staring up the torrent of water rushing down the precipice.

Marina grunted, she was casting her line out for the third time – twice now it had snagged on some reeds which had popped up in the middle of nowhere. “Lots of fish can actually survive the fall downstream,” she said matter-of-factly. “And some Poliwag breed in the lake itself.”

“I don’t want a Poliwag,” said Lisa dully. The sun was beating down harshly on her tan skin, and it was beginning to burn. She looked longingly around at all the shade which bordered the lake.

Lisa had been to the lake a lot as a child but she had not noticed it as much as she did now, probably because she had not been at this side of the lake before. It was a large lake on the northern edge of town, probably a kilometre by two. Trees lined the lake all the way round, except for the cliff face and a short stretch of sand that was used as a beach by the people of Ecruteak. Even now as Lisa looked, she could see a couple of families swimming and splashing around at the distant end of the lake.

The girls were fishing about fifty metres from the waterfall. Lisa was gazing round at the treetops which were a part of the Emerald Forest when she noticed a tall formation that was not a tree.

“Is that the Tin Tower?” Lisa asked Marina, but she already knew the answer. The very top of the tower could be seen through the peaks of the foliage; it was made of shiny redwood, and there was a large shrine – Lisa had heard – at the top. The shrine would be very interesting … it was where Ho-oh was rumoured to roost.

Not Ho-oh, Lisa reminded herself. When she had had that awesome ride on the phoenix, it had said – very simply yet at the same time very confusingly, “Ho-oh is not my name.” Lisa had yet to figure out what that meant.

Sitting there, fishing serenely while the waterfall gushed distantly, Lisa very nearly blundered. She almost said to Marina “Do you think Ho-oh is still out there?” but she cut herself off after “Do you –”. Marina did not know about Lisa’s experiences with legendary pokemon and Lisa had resisted ever telling her. When she had told Anna, Anna had not believed her – she had laughed.

Marina did know a little, though, Lisa reminded herself. She had been at the funeral of Anna’s, she had learned of how she had died. And when Marina had asked her, Lisa, about the events, Lisa simplified them as best she could. She told Marina that her and Gavin had been driving in the buggy when they saw a fire. They approached the fire and there was Anna, up in a tree. Lisa had tried to stop the alibi there, maybe say the fire had begun of natural causes, but even the Police were curious. They admitted there was little explanation for the huge canine footprints found at the fire, and accompanied by Lisa’s statement to them and the fire, plus the appearance of Entei in Olivine only days before, the evidence of Entei attacking Anna was strong. So Lisa told Marina that she saw Entei attack Anna one final time just as they arrived, and then disappear as she died.

It was much much more complicated than that. There had been other legendaries there, Entei had argued, and of course Lisa and Gavin had not simply stood there. They had fought.

“Do I what?” Marina repeated loudly, breaking through Lisa’s memories.

“Hm? Oh …” Lisa said awkwardly. “Don’t worry …” she finished lamely.

Marina looked sceptical. “No, tell me,” she said firmly.

It occurred to Lisa that she could do, that she could explain everything to Marina, everything she didn’t know, but she was experienced at glossing over details – she had done that for the police a couple of times, and especially with her parents and Tom and Wes and Jean.

So she said, “Well, I thought about maybe having a quick battle … I’m out of practice and all … but I realised you’d rather fish, so …”

Marina shook her head, and instantly reeled her line back in. The hook eventually appeared from the water and the bait was still there, untouched. Marina muttered something, which sounded like “Not even a nibble,” then packed her rod back up and fished around in her bag instead, for a pokeball.

Lisa had already reeled her rod in. The bait was completely gone but she had not felt anything at all … perhaps if she had been holding onto the rod she would have noticed a Poliwag or Goldeen snapping up the bait. Too bad. Now she had to battle – for the first time in ages – and wondered if she could do it. But she had to – Marina was already throwing their bags to the side, under a rock, and taking many paces backwards along the sand. Lisa did likewise.

“Three on three sound good?” she called. “Non-continuous?”

“Perfect if you ask me!” replied Marina from many metres away. “Let’s start then! I choose Kingler!”

She threw the scarlet-white pokeball at the sand in front of her; it burst open quickly and returned automatically to her hands. From the radiance within emerged a large, intimidating crab, with shiny, metallic-looking pincers and vermilion spikes on its head.

Lisa held the little charm on the end of her silver necklace Gavin had given her; she had long since worked out how to use it. She held the Aipom-shaped charm between forefinger and thumb, and said loudly “Revelum Aipom!” The charm glowed a luminous orange-gold, then a searingly bright white, then exploded with a burst of light – Aipom appeared on the sand, tail upright. He was ready for action!

“Swift attack!” Lisa yelled.

“Kingler, jump into the water and use a Water Gun!” called Marina.

Aipom flicked his fawn-coloured tail and ran a few metres at Kingler, then curled into a tight purple ball. A volley of about five luminous golden stars appeared, hovering in mid-air, then shot out at Kingler with stunning speed and accuracy. The crab had already sidled over to the shallows of the lake and now released a large jet of clear water straight at the stars. The water gushing at the stars was quite effective; three of the stars were repelled by the water, leaving only two weakly glowing ones to crash into Kingler’s side.

“Nice work, Kingler!” said Marina encouragingly. “Now try using reflect, then crabhammer.”

“Aipom, quick attack then follow up with Doubleslap!”

Aipom went into action first, sprinting lightly towards its waterbound opponent and tackling it in the side without Kingler even seeming to be aware of what was happening. Aipom was already splashing his way back to the shore when the vermilion crab had the thought to set up the reflect.

Kingler squeezed its eyes shut tightly, then gurgled in crab language. The result was a reflective sphere around him, but it was evident that the reflect was not as effective as Marina would have liked it to be. It was flickering intermittently and was a paler brown colour than the ones Lisa had seen previously. Aipom had already moved in and was flicking at the reflect with his tail, trying to slap at Kingler. The reflect wavered dangerously, but did not shatter yet. Aipom was falling back into the shallow water when Kingler moved out from behind its shield and brought its claw down heavily on Aipom, who was shunted into the sand on the floor of the lake. Lisa craned her neck to see if Aipom would recover; he returned to the surface, panting, and Lisa was just about to order an attack when he took matters into his own hands.

The entire body of Aipom glowed a faint yellow, and Lisa felt a sudden thrill of wonder before Aipom opened his mouth and a huge tirade of electric bullets flowed out. Each bullet was electric energy, shaped like a tiny thunderbolt, spearing the air at Kingler. The first few bounced off the reflect, but after a moment the screen shattered and Kingler was pounded with the electric currents. He was knocked out very quickly.

“What the hell was that?” Marina demanded angrily, recalling Kingler into his pokeball.

“Zap cannon, apparently,” said Lisa, flabbergasted. “But I had no idea Aipom knew that attack … it just came out of nowhere.”

She was still pondering about it when Marina said, “Hurry up and choose a new pokemon.” Lisa looked up and remembered they had agreed to have a non-continuous three-on-three battle, in fact, she herself had suggested it.

“Alright,” said Lisa blankly. She turned to Aipom, who was shaking off the water from his fur. “Really good battle, Aipom, we’ll talk more later. Retrahere!” She cried, holding Aipom’s silver charm – Aipom and the charm both glowed a luminous rose gold colour, and the purple monkey disappeared into thin air.

“I choose Elekid!” Lisa withdrew a regular pokeball and lobbed it up in the air – it exploded into brightness halfway and the fuzzy yellow-black Elekid appeared on the sand.

Marina smiled. “No offence, Lisa, but I can read you like a book,” said Marina. “I choose you, Herby!”

Her pokeball revealed the one thing Lisa had definitely not expected – a pokemon other than a water type. The creature facing Elekid was quite a lot taller and wider. It was a pleasant yellow-green hue, with a collection of rolled up herbs around its neck, and a large, flat green leaf atop its head.

“Since when did you –” began Lisa.

“I found her on my canoeing trip. She’s getting really strong.”

“But you’re a water trainer.”

“Well … I decided to diversify a bit. Ready to go on?”

Lisa nodded. She had to win now. Otherwise she would feel even worse than ever about losing. She had underestimated her opponent, a real no-no.

“Elekid, Light Screen!”
    “Herby, Leech Seed!”

Now it was Lisa’s turn to feel a bit disappointed at her pokemon’s performance. She had, admittedly, not spent much time training Elekid, but she had thought his moves were all quite perfected. Evidently not – his light screen did not look very healthy at all. It was a clearish colour with a rainbow tinge to it whenever it reflected the sunlight. Though it should have been a little stronger than Reflect, it looked weaker. Herby, Marina’s Bayleef, fired off a small emerald green seed from her mouth. It flew through the air and went straight through the barrier, sinking into Elekid’s left arm. It glowed a bright white as some of Elekid’s energy was transferred magically to Herby.

“No! Elekid, use Thunderpunch! I mean, quick attack!”

Elekid looked confused, and was still trying to pull the leech seed from his arm, which proved impossible. He then raced at Herby for a Quick Attack, but the leaf pokemon leapt up high and easily dodged the impending damage.

“Quickly now, Herby, use Water Blast!”

Lisa goggled. No way, she thought.

Yes way. Herby leapt into the shallows, just like Kingler had done, and opened her mouth. A stream of water issued from her mouth in a fairly wide stream, slamming into the Light Screen heavily. The screen wobbled for a moment, then gave way and dissipated, leaving the Water Blast to drive Elekid into the ground and knock him out.

The transparent scarlet beam had zoomed Elekid back to safety before Herby’s attack had actually stopped. Lisa was bright red in the face. “The decider, then?” she said, keeping her voice under control. Elekid had been KOed with only one attack, plus a small amount of damage from the leech seed. She felt awfully determined to win this last round at all costs.

Marina recalled her pokemon too, and Lisa was just about to yell out “Dratini, I choose you!” when a few things happened very suddenly and in very quick succession.

Somewhere deep inside the forest which laced Ecru Lake, there was a high-pitched noise and a deeper rumbling. A huge plume of smoke suddenly blossomed from the trees on the opposite side of the lake from Marina and Lisa. A burst of lightning appeared from nowhere, striking a point on the opposite shore of the Lake. Marina cried out in alarm as something arced across the lake right at her and Lisa.

It was Raikou.

Lisa was about to release Dratini to paralyse the incoming dog and keep it still, so she could finally question it, but this proved unnecessary. Raikou landed with a splash in the shallows, exactly where Herby had been only seconds before, and his eyes met Lisa’s. Their gaze was locked for a moment, then suddenly, he winked. Lisa only just caught it, then felt her body simply lift up; she recognised the sensation as her body felt lighter than usual. She was teleporting, Marina at her side.

They landed with a heavy thud in a clearing which looked like it was fairly close to where they had been before. Marina collapsed onto the ground, looking like she had just been beaten up, her eyes closed. She had fainted; Lisa, however, arose quickly – she was used to the feeling of teleportation.

“Raikou,” said Lisa blankly.

The wild dog was standing still near Marina, looking furtively from side to side. It took Lisa only a few seconds to realise he was injured – his yellowy fur was ruffled and there was a gash in his side, though no blood came out.

Raikou caught her eye. //Hello Lisa// he said telepathically. Lisa almost recoiled in surprise; she could not recall being so directly addressed by one of the legendaries.

“Hello,” she said timidly, suddenly remembering the huge plume of smoke and the explosion. “Why are you here, what’s happened to you?”

//Never mind// said Raikou calmly, but he winced slightly as he spoke. //I came to tell you something, Lisa, listen carefully. You must do what I say … time is beginning to run short. You are in much danger at the moment, more so than ever before. Entei has betrayed our kind … you are hunted at the moment.//

Lisa gasped, but the information didn’t really sink in.

Raikou was looking round more furtively than ever before, and now even Lisa could hear distant footsteps, and a branch cracking somewhere deeper in the bush. //You have to train hard, Lisa. Train your pokemon as much as you can, do you understand? You need to be able to protect yourself in the event of … something. Train yourself too … just focus on protecting yourself.//

Lisa nodded, her head feeling light and her brain struggling to understand this. She had to train her pokemon up, apparently.

Raikou began to say something, Lisa could feel the sensation in her head, but just as words began to travel into her mind, a huge stream of fire whooshed through the trees right into the clearing. Raikou cried out as the end of the feathery flames scorched his back. Lisa stepped back a bit.

//Remember what I said// Raikou said to her suddenly, firing a jet of blue at her, a teleportation beam. Lisa blinked, and the world disappeared around her.

“Quick, go in for an Aurora Beam!” Lisa cried eagerly. Fiskmire turned towards his opponents and shot out a rainbow coloured beam at the two offending Poliwhirl. They were floored instantly, blasted backwards and landing on the lake’s shore.

“Great job Fisky!” Lisa congratulated it, before recalling him.

She was at the lake again, much later that same day. Marina was out shopping for a change, and Lisa was glad to have some time alone to simply train up her pokemon. Marina, thankfully, did not seem to remember seeing Raikou at all – Lisa thought that perhaps Raikou had wiped her memory – so she was completely clueless. Lisa did not have the patience to tell her about it.

Now Lisa was training as Raikou has instructed her, and was incredibly pleased with the results. The sun had almost set now, but she had made good progress with each of her pokemon, and was very impressed by their work and their techniques. Vulpix had been able to produce a Fire Tornado, a move which even very high-levelled dragons had difficulty pulling off. Dratini had even been able to use a Dragonbreath attack that was strong enough to knock out a wild Granbull in one shot. Elekid’s Light Screens were improving vastly, though Fiskmire managed to shatter Elekid’s Light Screen with a very accurate Ice Beam.

Lisa was proudest of Aipom and Fiskmire, though. Fiskmire’s Ice Beam was now strong enough to take out four Pidgeottos in one go, and Aurora Beam had fainted two Poliwhirl simultaneously. His Water Blast attack was a bit weak, but still defeated Vulpix in a practise battle.

As for Aipom, his restlessness seemed to have gone completely since Lisa had been keeping him in her necklace charm. He was more able than any of the others except perhaps Fiskmire; Speed Star was so accurate that it hit even when a wild Sandshrew had tunnelled away while maintaining a strong reflect. Lisa felt sure that her pokemon could handle anything thrown up against them now … maybe she could consider fighting Lance.

Filled with pride in her pokemon and hope that she would now be able to protect herself against any enemies that Raikou warned about, Lisa strolled happily home from the lake. She reached home well after dusk, and arrived home to a very nasty shock.
    Last edited by Gavin Luper; 1st August 2007 at 01:00 PM.

Lisa the Legend

Advanced Trainer

You evil person! A cliffie!!!!! *grumbles*

I wonder what Raikou wanted to warn Lisa about...*sighs* I guess I'll just have to wait to find out....

I liked the way you described the battle....too bad it was never completed....=(

Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Very good chapters. Dang no gaudian butterfree to protect Marina from Raiko. Anyway this was a good chapter and it seems that Lisa is destined to battle Entai. I like how Aipom is more willing to train than goof around, and how pokemon training is important in your fic although it is not entirely a trainer fic.
    If something is wrong, please say so.

Cool Trainer
    Cool Trainer

Awwww...and they leave ya hangin' again! (laughs) Oh, don't wory; I'm not mad. In fact, that chapter really had me hooked. I hope the next one's coming soon, because I'm not letting go of the line until it does!!
    “Challenge is a dragon with a gift in its mouth...
    Tame the dragon and the gift is yours.”
    ~Noela Evans~

My FanFic Library:

Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer

Nice chapter! The incident with Raikou (and Entei?) was intriguing, and we now know for certain that Entei is very much alive and after Lisa. Her Pokemon certainly seem to be getting stronger, though I do wish the battle could have been completed. By the way, was that a Bayleef or a Meganium? I had trouble figuring it out, though I'm guessing Bayleef... And who knew Aipom could use Zap Cannon? Weirdness...

You did a good job with both the battle and the suspenseful scene with Raikou, as usual. But I have to wonder: Where did Raikou teleport them to after "talking" with Lisa? Well, this cliffhanger has certainly got me interested, so I'll be anxiously awaiting the next chapter!

EDIT: You know, if Ho-oh resurrected Entei, I wonder if it could "un-resurrect" him, so to speak...
    IT HAS RETURNED.
    THE TPM MAIN SITE.

Quote Originally Posted by Gavin Luper View Post
    Holy crap ... I'VE become a grammar nazi, too.

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Great Chapter! I enjoyed Lisa's Battle, I wonder if Elekid will evolve before the crossover? Oh, by the way, what gender is it? Maybe Elekid and Electabuzz could literally spark up?

It's good of Raikou to warn Lisa. My guess is Entei will be tracking her down...and I reckon 'Ho-oh' will help her out against the vengeful dog..

Great work, keep it up!

Show-Off
    Contest fic
    *Chapter 37 up*
    Posted September 22nd, 2013

Super Moderator
    Super Moderator

Default Re: Lisa the Legend - Chapter 52 up!!

Cooltrainer: Wow! Thanks for reading this! Hopefully the long reading time was worth it in the end, right?

Do you make up pokemon yourself? I haven't made any new ones for ages now, but when I did I found it to be an interesting challenge.

Pokemon killing people? Oh, you mean the Anna-Entei thing. Yeah, strange how that happened. Don't worry, it may seem a bit odd at the moment, but everything is going to make sense one day.

Karania: I know, I know. It's taking me so long. I have hardly any spare time. I still stand by what I said before though ... I hope to have it posted by the end of August.

Spontaneous ... this is not the c/o, but a further instalment none the less!

Cheers!

-------------------------------------------------

Chapter 42 – Invasion from the Inside.

The house was completely deserted. Lisa, still filled with the euphoria of Fiskmire and the others’ triumphs at the lake, did not notice immediately. She breezed indoors happily and began cutting up a very red apple to eat when she suddenly realised there was no shouting as she sang the latest Julienne Brextar song. They’ve gone out, thought Lisa, feeling the tiniest bit rejected as she threw her apple slices into a bowl. They could have at least told me.

At that point, she did not notice anything else curious about her home. Not yet.

Marina didn’t plan on coming home until at least seven, when the mall would close, so Lisa chose to go up to her room and maybe fiddle around with her Buzzball for awhile. She had already uncovered three of its uses; an electric shock (that stunned its victims), the inflating that the girl at the checkout had showed her, and most recently, Lisa discovered that her Buzzball could become as hard as a rock sometimes – which would prove useful if she ever needed it as a weapon.

Plopping her bowl of apple on the springy bed, Lisa lay flat on her stomach, plucked the Buzzball off her bedside table, and began examining it closely. The bright red ball greatly resembled a squash ball. It was rubbery ball, completely vermilion in hue, and very shiny. It looked completely unremarkable and Lisa would have thought nothing of it, if she didn’t know what it did. The Buzzball was a mystic device – it interpreted the thoughts of the holder and performed an action to the best of the holders ability. Lisa didn’t quite understand the theory behind it yet, but she got the basic idea.

The ball began to inflate in Lisa’s hands; she did this often, now that she had mastered the skill, but the problem was that it took usually took several minutes for the ball to deflate. The sphere swelled to the size of a soccer ball (it was normally smaller than a pokeball) and while Lisa waited for its size to reduce, she noticed a clean white envelope on her bed.

“Oh, I forgot about this …” she muttered carelessly. The envelope said very clearly on the front:

Lisa Teresa Walters
    23 Woodrow Avenue
    Greenmount
    Ecruteak City

At the top right hand corner, where a stamp should have been, there was the small insignia of a world globe with a gold ribbon curving around it and the words ‘Johto Ministry of Justice’ within the golden ribbon. Lisa tore the letter open curiously – what could the government office want with her, especially the judiciary system? Lisa remembered her brother Tom once making a comment that once you turned fifteen the government gave you a card which proved your age for universities and for independent care.

There was no card in the envelope. Just two sheets of folded paper, headed not with ‘Dear sir/madam’ but with ‘Dear Miss Walters’. Lisa took a sharp breath and read on.

Dear Miss Walters

It has come to the attention of the Johto Ministry of Justice that you were present at a place where a criminal activity occurred on the nineteenth – twentieth of December, 2002. It has been verified by the Investigative Squad in the province of Houen that a number of criminal offences took place during this time in the village of Port Valeo, and that you witnessed one or more of these events.

The Johto Ministry of Justice, in conjunction with the Tri-province Constitution, requires the attendance of you, Lisa Teresa Walters, at the trial of Lenina Johnson. The trial will be held at the Port Valeo courthouse, at 13 Salmon Drive, Port Valeo, on Thursday the 27th February 2003, beginning at exactly eleven am. You will be required to give testimony and make a brief statement concerning the case.

Thank you for your co-operation,

Brett Snyder
    Senior Deputy Commissioner
    Johto Ministry of Justice.

‘I have to go to a trial?’ thought Lisa, imagining a massive courthouse and her in the witness box. ‘I thought they took care of all that stuff last December. We made statements for the police in Houen. Lenina already went to jail, didn’t she?’

But no matter how hard she stared at the sheet of paper, it did not tell her anything more than she had already read. The second page turned out to be a simple map of Port Valeo, showing the few streets, the resorts, shops, houses, library (the book from which Lisa still had), the peninsula and the observatory, where Lisa had fought for her life with Jessica.

Jessica! Lisa had suddenly clicked. If she was needed at this trial, that definitely meant Jessica and Phil and Andrew would be needed too! Not to mention Gavin, if the Ministry of Justice had been able to get a hold of him, which she doubted.

There was a slam downstairs as the door closed. Marina must be home at last! Lisa ran downstairs at once to talk to her about the letter, which was still in her left hand. Her right hand gripped the now almost deflated Buzzball. As she walked into the living room, it suddenly occurred to her how dark it had become. And where had Marina got to so quickly?

The lower rooms of the house felt quite abandoned; Lisa was used to seeing them full of people. She flicked the lounge room light on as she walked into it and felt a bit more comforted. The front door was shut, but Lisa had left only the security door shut. That meant Marina must have come home, because the heavy oak door was now closed.

“Marina? You th-” Lisa began, but there was a scuffle from behind and, before she could whirl around, a hand had gripped tightly over her mouth. For a moment Lisa tried to throw her attacker off, struggling in her panic, but suddenly she caught sight of her attacker.

It was only Marina after all.

“Don’t speak, Lisa,” whispered Marina, very seriously. “Be really really quiet.”

She pulled her hand away from Lisa’s mouth. Her skin was very pale. Her Guardian Butterfree was not hovering round her head happily, but perched on her shoulder, perfectly still. Lisa had never seen Marina or her Guardian Angel look so frightened or watchful. Very slowly, Marina backed back into the living room, and Lisa followed her very nervously.

Marina seemed to relax a bit more once the girls were both in the living room. “Oh, thank God … you have your Buzzball …” said Marina.

“What’s going on??” hissed Lisa.

Marina shook her head. “Lisa, I don’t really know, but something’s really really wrong. I just came inside then, and …” she broke off, looking for the right words. “There’s somebody in the house. Who isn’t supposed to be, that is,” she added. “I don’t know who, I think it’s a woman but I’m not sure … I just saw them going from the dining room into the games room a minute ago … they have a Houndoom with them …”

Lisa swore under her breath. “You’re saying our house has been broken into?”

“Yes,” said Marina instantly. “Lisa, didn’t you notice, the lock of the door is broken. How long have you been here alone?” she asked.

“About fifteen minutes,” Lisa told her, a shiver going up her spine. But then sense came to her. “If anyone was really in the house, they’d have attacked me or whatever. I mean, I was singing … I was in the kitchen for five minutes, if anyone was there they would have made a move. You must be wrong.”

But Marina didn’t look at all convinced. She glanced around the place uneasily. They had both sat down on the futon in the living room, facing the door to the dining room. “Where’s your family?” she said suddenly.

“Dunno, they went out I think …” Lisa said.

“Did you see them?”

“No … they probably left a message.”

Lisa stood up from the seat and walked over to the phone table, where the large message pad lay. She didn’t know how she had missed it before; right on top was a pink note saying ‘We’ve had an urgent problem with work. We’ve got the kids with us. Be back later tonight’.

Mr and Mrs Walters had disappeared once before like this, but they had given Lisa a couple of days warning. That was last year, when they both left town to dig at Mt Moon for some Omanyte Fossils. Perhaps, Lisa thought, they had had a problem with the Omanytes?

Marina had stopped moving. The Guardian Butterfree on her shoulder has risen in the air an inch or two, humming very softly. “Lisa … I just saw her.”

“What? Who?” Lisa said quietly, looking at her pale, blue-haired friend.

“The person in the house … it’s a she,” whispered Marina, her lips barely moving. “Don’t move!” she hissed urgently at Lisa, staring through the doorway which led from the kitchen to the games room. “I can see her right now, she’s in the games room … she’s got red hair, fairly tall … she’s talking to someone else … it’s a guy she’s talking to … OH!” Marina’s breathing suddenly became incredibly laboured.

Lisa turned and glanced very briefly through the window, and at that moment she too caught sight of two people crouched low over the desk in the games room. A very dangerous-looking Houndoom was at their feet.

Lisa seized Marina’s wrist, then took her upstairs in one swift movement. They arrived in Lisa’s room, Marina shaking slightly. Lisa grabbed her backpack and hoisted it onto her back, not before throwing in a few things; her pokeballs, the letter from the ministry of justice, the runes Gavin sent, the jellimer and orb for dratini, and her pokegear and wallet. She kept the Buzzball in one hand, the small circular container holding the aquaflox in the other.

“What are you doing?”

Marina was shaking terribly, clutching at the chest of drawers.

“That’s Team Rocket,” said Lisa. “I … they might … look, just put of your backpack, we can’t stay here anymore … They know where I live now …” It had just sunk in. Lisa felt as though her very skin had been invaded. The rockets knew where she lived, she would not be safe in this house again, ever. It would be impossible to return.

“We’re going, right now,” said Lisa. “I don’t know when we’ll be back.”

Lisa carefully unlatched the door which led to her balcony. She could hear a muffled noise downstairs, and a very definite sound of a vase of some sort smashing on the tiles. For a moment, she wondered how many of these people had invaded her home.

Marina threw her own backpack on and followed Lisa timidly.

“You’re not going to jump off, are you?” said Marina apprehensively.

Lisa ground her teeth nervously, but when she spoke, her voice was strong. “Pretty much, yeah. And that’s ‘we’ not ‘you’.” She paused. “This side of the house faces almost directly onto the garden. If we can hide behind the bushes, we can sneak out and leave.”

Joining her on the balcony, Marina tapped the wood uncertainly with her foot. “How do you plan on falling without killing yourself, again?”

The Buzzball was in her hand still. Lisa grinned savagely. “Inflate,” she said to it in an undertone, concentrating on seeing the ball inflate to massive size, and it did so, very rapidly. Marina watched in awe as it swelled to the size of an Elekid, then kept going. The scarlet exterior was looking quite stretched now, as though the ball was nearing bursting point. Lisa prodded it gingerly; it was very springy. She knew once she landed, there would be only moments for her to run and hide before one of the people arrived to meet her.

She held the now massive Buzzball up to her stomach and leaned over the balcony.

“Marina, if we get separated, here’s what you’re going to do. You’re going to contact Gavin somehow and stay with him. If all does go well, though,” she added. “We’ll meet over the back fence. We’ll have to run though.”

And with a scared pat from Marina, Lisa propelled herself over the side of the balcony. For a moment, she felt her stomach lurch as she was in freefall, then there was a loud thunk as the buzzball hit the grass. Lisa felt herself roll forwards and somersault into the bushes; the ball seemed to roll in the opposite direction. Brushing twigs and dirt from her ebony hair, Lisa looked up at the balcony, where Marina was standing uneasily, and gave the thumbs-up.

It looked like Marina was about to jump straight onto the ball from the second floor, but Lisa spied a dark figure appear around the corner of the veranda from the other side of the house. Lisa signalled violently to Marina not to jump, and the girl upstairs heeded.

The dark figure was soon snooping around under the balcony, a Murkrow flying on his or her shoulder. A beam of moonlight struck her face suddenly. Peering from the refuge of a large kurrajong tree, Lisa put a hand to her mouth. She recognised the person snooping around underneath the balcony. It was a red-haired woman - Lisa had met her before, once; it was the woman from the shopping mall, who had tried to attack her and Marina.

With a sickening thud, Lisa also recognised the usual crimson ‘R’ emblazoned across the woman’s chest.

It was a miracle that she hadn’t yet seen the Buzzball … it was sitting in a shadowy corner behind a terracotta pot, looking quite obvious from Lisa’s point of view. But the woman seemed more interested in the balcony, as though she was looking for a way to climb up it.

And then it happened. Marina peered timidly over the wooden posts on the balcony at the same moment as the red-haired woman glanced up. Their faces met instantly. Marina gave a strangled kind of a squeak and disappeared from view; the woman drew a weapon out from her clothes. It was not a gun – it looked like a remote control crossed with an electric toothbrush. She pressed a button, yelling out something to her male friend, who was presumably indoors. A jet of blue light which looked like a laser beam emerged and burned through one of the posts holding up the balcony.

“NO!” someone cried out from inside and Lisa heard Marina’s own distinct scream also, accompanied by many thuds.

‘I can’t be sensible now,’ thought Lisa. ‘I don’t want her to go like Anna.’

Without a second thought, Lisa leapt from the bushes and pelted towards the underside of the balcony. The woman there turned and looked stunned for a moment, then shot off some blue light which skimmed over Lisa’s hair. Luckily, Lisa had surprised her. She reached the Buzzball (which was almost back to cricket-ball-size) and scooped it up before the Rocket could react further. Then she quickly curved around and ran straight for the bushes, where she hoped she could get out of sight.

“Stun her now!” screamed a male voice from nowhere. Lisa had just been turning to see where Marina had got to when a third jet of electric blue light issued from the weapon. It would have hit Lisa’s chest if it weren’t for the Buzzball that she held there. The light ricocheted off and hit the Kurrajong, which burst into flames.

“Murkrow, Faint attack!” yelled the red-haired woman, who seemed to have abandoned her stun gun. Lisa was running at full pelt now, crashing through her Mum’s flowers and trying to lower herself down. A moment later, she felt something like a hot poker slash through her leg, and she made only a few more steps before crashing to the dirt. The Buzzball went spinning out of her grip.

The noise seemed dimmer here, but Lisa realised that there were more people than she had seen. A few women were arguing loudly somewhere nearby in the dark, and she heard at least two different men yell out.

“In those bushes, just there!” shrieked the red-haired woman.

Lisa was already trying to wriggle away but three bursts of blue light were fired and a few more bushes burst into flame. The flickery light from the fires meant that suddenly Lisa could see her way; the back fence was only twenty metres away, through a screen of trees. Refusing to accept that her home could be so easily razed to the ground, Lisa deftly released Fiskmire from his pokeball.

“Hydro Pump, Fisky!” she called, as she hobbled toward the trees, her leg killing. Fiskmire gushed litres of water over the garden, extinguishing the nearest spot fires one by one. Lisa ran for the doused trees. Just a few more metres –

“Paralabeam!” yelled a man. Lisa turned sharply to see a dark figure standing between her and the trees, illuminated by the fiery glow everywhere. An electric current seemed to erupt from the man and hit her in the chest. With a sickening thud in her stomach, Lisa felt her body seize up. Her face was pushed into the dirt by the man, as he yelled, “I’ve got her, over here, quick!” and many scurried footsteps were heard.

No way, thought Lisa. This isn’t how it’s supposed to go. I was so close, I was so quick, I can’t get caught now …

“Lisa Walters!” said the man who had paralyzed her. “Now we meet. Tell me –”

“ELECTRIFY!” squealed a girl’s voice, and Lisa knew it was Marina. A sudden explosion of yellow electricity shot through Lisa’s vision and there were two groans. Lisa knew Marina had picked up her Buzzball … thank goodness …

The man in Lisa’s face stood up and pointed the device in his hands at Marina. Although Lisa could not see everything, she heard just fine. There was a shout and a dazzling flash of blue, a pelt of footsteps again, a roar of fire, another shout. Then a relative calm, followed by a sizzling sound. Lisa thought she saw a jet of purple light from somewhere. Then –

“ICE BEAM!”

“Mud!” There was a soft squawk and a flash of ice. Lisa waited for a moment, then saw Marina come into her narrow range of vision.

“Quick, Lisa, we have to go.” Her face was bleeding and she was pale, but all the same, Lisa would never forget the steely look of determination on her face that night.

Lisa tried to get to her feet, and utterly failed, Marina helped her into a sitting position, but Lisa’s muscles refused to respond; Fiskmire was tugging at her arm urgently.

A chilly wind seemed to blow over the girls suddenly, though the fires around them should have made it hot.

“NOW! STUN THEM BOTH! KILL THEM BOTH, I DON’T CARE!”

The voice came from nowhere. Lisa saw yet another streak of blue light fly through the air, and connect with Marina’s midriff. She looked shocked, then was thrown back without a further sound.

“Got her!” cried a voice. “Where’s the other?”

“Here …” A light bulb seemed to flicker on somewhere, and Lisa felt someone’s eyes bore into the back of her neck. She tried to turn and suddenly found that she could. Lisa’s golden eyes looked straight back into a man’s dark ones.

“There she is, I’ll stun her!” called a woman.

The man looking at Lisa gripped her jaw tightly and painfully, his palms sweaty.

“Tell me, Lisa, where have you – AAAH!” He collapsed as he was hit with the light from a Stun Gun.

And suddenly, the entire scene seemed to swirl around in Lisa’s head, never ending and never starting, just spiralling around until she could see nothing but smoke and fire and people and blue light … Lisa knew nothing, except that she was somehow being taken away, she was leaving her house, leaving the terror of that evening. But where she was going, she could not say …
    Last edited by Gavin Luper; 10th November 2011 at 12:28 PM.

Lisa the Legend

Advanced Trainer

*is confused*

Reading that made my head spin... I don't know if it was the story or if I'm falling ill...

@_@ I hope Marina's ok... hmm.. Who is the man who keeps on shouting Lisa's name?

Hmm....when I first read the title I was wondering about the it...now I know...

Super Moderator

Wow, this has got to be one of my favourite chapters ever. But the Bouncy Furret will always be the fav.

Well how choc full of excitement, nice to see some more Buzzball explanation, and a letter eh! Spiffy.

An urgent problem at work, I hope that Jean and Wes and Co are Ok. Hopefully not captured. Lisa can't go to Tom's either, it'd be another trap. I'm surprised they didn't find her earlier, go to all the Walters houses and go all Terminator. Lisa Walters *Bam*

But GAH! Lisa's HOUSE! POOR HOUSE! Oh yeah... and Marina.

Marina was killed! And did she send out her Mudkip.. but Marina was killed! She took an electric toothbrush to the chest... took me two times to pick up on it....... but now she's dead...

But oh god, I'm really worried for Lisa now... I really am, and poor Marina is gone....

Excellent writing, you really drew me in and I've become emotionally attached to these characters... Poor Marina... a secondary character I genuinely liked.... I wonder what happens now.

Banned

That was A VERY good chapter. I hope that Marina is ok, maybe this is like some TR kind of organization attacking =).

I'm hooked ;_;.

Banned

So that's what was waiting in Lisa's house. Although... If she had been there so long before realizing that there were popele in here house, had they not know she was there? (As Lisa said, she was singing and such.) Either way, the fact that she was in her own house for so long along with such danger is very creepy. You did a great job giving this chapter a spooky, impending danger sort of feel. Well, until the end, as then the danger is no longer impending...

I wonder if Marina is dead... She was pretty beat up. But I have a feeling she might be just unconsious... However that might just be wishful thinking. In a way that line could have implied death. *goes back and checks the scene for a third time* Hmmm...

Well, I could really feel the tension in this chapter. Also, a strong blow has been dealt to Lisa, being that now her whole family is in danger as long as she stays with them. (or possibly even without that) Although now it seems she has a bigger problem to worry about.

I'll be waiting for the next chapter. Keep it up!

Oh No! Lisa is found! Team Rocket sure is evil. breaking in and attacking people. Poor Marina. She was just trying to help Lisa, oblivious of her past dealings with TR.

What do they want to do with Lisa now that she is unconcious? Were they using stun/laser guns or buzz balls made into electric toothbrush guns? This is a great way to leave us hanging before a crossover.

Can't wait to see what happens next.
    Have an old pokemon cartridge laying around collecting dust?

Join the Pokemon RBY Speedrun
    or
    GSC Speed Completion Challenge

How fast can you beat the game?

If your game can't save anymore, replace it's battery!

Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer

Wow... what an intense chapter...

This was great, I could see everything in my head as you went along. You said a woman with red hair was talking to a man... oh jeez, does that mean the ditzy duo of J & J are involved? lol...

I hope Marina's ok. I mean, she was a great character. For her to be killed by TR after she was the one who warned Lisa would just be so terrible... oh, right, Lisa. Yeah, I hope she's okay, too.

Anyway, nice setup for the crossover! I did catch one or two spelling mistakes, but it's no big deal, especially since it's a rarity for you. Besides, they were just typos. I know you know how to spell better than that!

Well, I can't wait for the next chapter! Hopefully when the c/o comes it'll be just as intense as this was!
    IT HAS RETURNED.
    THE TPM MAIN SITE.

Super Moderator
    Super Moderator

Thanks Powarun for the reply.

Twilight Lune: Thanks for reading! I hope you keep reading in future, in fact, here's your chance ...

Oz Andrew finally finished the crossover!!!! So, at last we can post. Without further ado, I present chapter 43, the second EBTV-LTL crossover!

Note: This chapter takes place immediately after Chapter 42.

-------------------------------------------

Chapter 43 – Return to Port Valeo.

A strong breeze threw Lisa’s hair back. It was night: a very clear, starry night, and it was quite the right temperature. She felt her body flying through the air, just beneath a couple of clouds. Beneath her, the lights of Ecruteak City glittered merrily. Lisa glanced down longingly at the pinpricks of light from the houses and apartment blocks. There were thousands of people down there who were having a nice, normal night at home, or with a couple of friends over visiting. Why couldn’t she be one of them? It seemed so cruel that everything had just been flipped upside down all of a sudden. One minute, Lisa had been singing and having a snack, the next, her home had been invaded, she had been attacked and shot at, and Marina … Marina had been blasted off her back by the jet of light from the stun gun. Her fate was anyone’s guess.

Lisa could not make sense of what was happening; one moment she had been cornered by Team Rocket, flames taking over her backyard; the next moment, she was being whisked away by some invisible force, rescued somehow and now was flying to some unknown destination.

The wind picked up suddenly and became much cooler. Lisa shivered, but tried not to think of the cold. There were so many more things to think about that were so much more important. Like what was going to happen to her now. Her home had been invaded by the people who seemed to have been tailing her for months. She was no longer safe there. Nor was she able to run to her parents for security: she did not know where they were anymore.

Just where was she going, anyway? Lisa felt lightheaded all of a sudden. How was she flying at such speeds through the night sky, and where to? Was she being teleported by someone, Gavin, perhaps? Lisa ruled that thought out immediately; teleportation had never taken such a long time, and besides, you could not see anything around you when teleporting.

Then what could be happening? The only time Lisa could remember being as confused as she was now was two months ago, when she had had a very odd experience indeed. It was a dream about Ho-oh, the phoenix, but the odd thing was not only the reality of the dream, but the fact that when it finished, she didn’t wake up, just sort of merged back into real life again. The flight she was going through now felt quite like the flight she had gone on in that dream, except there was no phoenix beneath her, only thin air.

Lisa relaxed slightly. After the events of the evening, she lacked the energy to question things too much.

The lights of Ecruteak gradually dispersed until Lisa could only see one or two scattered lights which were probably farmhouses. Then all light disappeared as she flew over the northern mountain ranges. Lisa began to relax after awhile, wondering if she would ever stop flying or just keep going forever. After a few minutes she began to feel a throbbing in her left leg, and when she turned, there was a deep gash in her leg that was bleeding slowly: a reminder of the hectic night before. Lisa clamped her hand over the cut, but there seemed to be nothing she could do to prevent the flow except to wait.

After a long time flying, Lisa’s relaxed state dissolved and she began to worry about everyone she knew, because her entire world seemed to be falling apart suddenly. Was Gavin alright? And Darius? What about Marina – had she been simply stunned by the light and captured by the Rockets, or had they set their guns to ‘kill’? Would the Rockets linger in the house long enough to capture Lisa’s Mum and Dad when they arrived home with Wes and Jean, or would Tom and Miki arrive first?

I’ll go to the police, thought Lisa, looking at the countryside whizzing past below her. I’ll tell them everything that happened tonight when I’m at the courthouse … OH! Something clicked in Lisa’s head. “Those Team Rocket people who attacked us … they must be in league with Lenina!” Lisa cried aloud. “Of course! She must have somehow communicated with them and told them to attack me to get rid of evidence … that’s IT!”

Lisa ran this theory through her head excitedly, wondering why it had not occurred to her much much sooner. Her red lips curved into a satisfied smile as she continued to hurtle through the air. Below her, but not too far below, a strong beam of light was cutting through the air from a tall building set alone; a lighthouse … she must be at the coast, which meant Port Valeo was coming nearer … Lisa flew past the lighthouse and over a dense forest …

It seemed very odd to Lisa that the flight through the air should take such a long time, seemingly accomplishing nothing, then suddenly it ended.

Lisa felt the force driving her along suddenly weaken. A fraction of a second later, she was plummeting to the ground, windmilling her arms wildly, but to no avail. Air whooshed in her ears as she fell, then a new sound began to emerge: the ocean, breaking on the rocks somewhere nearby. Then Lisa landed on a soft bush very heavily. A number of branches cracked and broke and she fell through the very large bush, then landed very hard on the ground.

“Ow.”

She sat up, muscles aching and arms scratched up nastily by the bush she had landed in. She felt a little burrowing beneath her and turned to see a little Caterpie looking up at her angrily. Evidently, she had destroyed its home. The worm gave an indignant squeak and shot a small thread of string at Lisa’s head before crawling away.

Lisa didn’t know why, but after seeing the Caterpie she instantly threw up four pokeballs into the air. For a moment, the night was illuminated with the explosions of light from the pokeballs. Beside Lisa appeared her Fiskmire, looking sleepy, Vulpix, alert and tense, Dratini, looking confused, and a blob of light in the shape of an Elekid.

“What?” said Lisa loudly, feeling the cuts on her arm beginning to ooze blood, but she hardly cared. Where Elekid should have been standing was now a patch of glowing light. Lisa watched in fascination, as the small beast grew much taller, wider and musclier. It had been the very last thing she had expected, but it had happened – one of her pokemon had evolved.

“Rugghhhh!” said Lisa’s new Electabuzz, as the light subsided. All the other pokemon looked at it warily, especially Dratini.

“Bloody hell!” exclaimed Lisa in shock. “You evolved. Congratulations!!”

She moved to pat the Electabuzz on the back, but it grunted angrily and moved away. Lisa could see its arms folded in the night.

“Alright, I won’t hug you then,” she said defensively. “Good job anyway.”

Electabuzz, who was now taller than everyone except Lisa, stalked off a few metres to have a look under a rock. Lisa herself began to look around her in curiosity. After all, she had no idea where she was. It was difficult to see properly in the dark, but Lisa concluded after a minute that she was in a wooded area very close to a sea.

“Vul?” barked Vulpix loudly.

Lisa looked at the small crimson fox. She could see its eyes shining in the minimal moonlight that shone down through the trees that rose up around them. The eyes were asking ‘where are we?’

“I don’t know, near a beach I think,” said Lisa to Vulpix. She rubbed her hands together in the cold. “Want to start a fire off for us?”

Vulpix obediently opened his mouth and shot a stream of red sparks at the destroyed bush. It burst into flame immediately. Lisa moved closer to it and felt warm radiating around her. Dratini slithered over beside her, along with Vulpix and Fiskmire. Electabuzz was still some distance away, prodding around a pile of rocks.

Lisa released Aipom from the Pokeport around her neck with a cry of “Revelum Aipom!” The purple monkey appeared beside Fiskmire. Then Lisa spent a long time talking to her pokemon about what had happened to her - not just that night, but all the odd things that had happened since Gavin had disappeared. The pokemon were all surprisingly very good listeners and very comforting toward her, except Electabuzz, who gave a loud grunt every time Lisa finished a sentence. It was probably half an hour before Lisa finished talking. Miraculously, once she had finished, it was as though her shoulders and chest and mind were all as light as air. Lisa felt like something had been extracted magically from her – every worry and concern – and was no longer her problem. Once she finished speaking to her pokemon, she simply curled up into a ball, with Aipom latched onto her foot and fell into a pleasant, dreamless sleep.

“Good morning.”

Lisa opened her eyes, which felt very light. Right close to her face was a woman’s face that she did not recognise at all. The woman had a lined face and white wisps of hair, but she looked quite fit and was smiling benevolently at Lisa.

“Hello,” said Lisa, lost for words. Her mind – for the first time in months – felt perfectly clear, as though it had been spring cleaned while she slept. “Um, who are you again?”

The woman smiled as Lisa sat up from her sleeping position. “Oh, you wouldn’t know me, dear. Paula Somerville, I’m from out of town.” She held out a wizened hand to Lisa, as though to pull her up. Lisa saw what looked like fungus growing on her fingernails and pushed herself up instead. However, Paula didn’t look offended.

“Got lost, did you?” she said brightly. “Or are you a local?”

Lisa didn’t know how to answer. After stuttering for a moment, she replied, “No, I’m from out of town too, actually, I kind of got lost … Do you know how far into town?” As she spoke, she realised she had no idea what town Paula was referring to.

“It’s about thirty k’s from here, love,” said Paula, brushing down the front of her bright orange top and jeans. She had a large bag on her back and Lisa spied two pokeballs on her belt. “I’d tell you the way, but I don’t really know myself. I haven’t been backpacking out this way for a long time – I’m a backpacker, you see. Still,” she added briskly. “The scenery is worth it.”

Lisa nodded absently. She was looking around her. Vulpix, Fiskmire, Dratini and Aipom were asleep at her feet, and Electabuzz – yellow and black striped fur looked very ruffled – was curled up near the rocks he had been looking at the previous night. Near Vulpix was a pile of charcoal – the remains of the bush – and Lisa’s backpack. She had not even noticed that she had it on last night. The little campsite they had made was in a thick cluster of woodland. There were many high trees surrounding them, with saltbushes and woodwebs at the lower level.

“Sorry to wake you up,” said Paula softly. “But you looked quite alone, and it is quite dangerous in these parts.”

Having five pokemon around you wasn’t what Lisa would call alone, but she nodded vacantly, now digging in her backpack for something to eat. She found a long-lost muesli bar and began munching away at once.

“Thanks anyway,” said Lisa, spraying a chunk of muesli from her mouth accidentally; Paula blinked but didn’t seem to mind. “Um … where am I exactly?”

“In the Valeo Forest of course, south of the port,” Paula said as she admired a caramel-coloured Pidgeotto in a tree feeding its young.

This time muesli flew everywhere. “Port Valeo?” Lisa choked. “It’s not Thursday is it … no, it’s Wednesday … I have another day yet …” For Lisa had just remembered that she was needed for Lenina’s trial on Thursday the 27th, and it was in Port Valeo.

Paula brushed some muesli off her top. “Yes, Port Valeo. You alright love?”

“Yeah, fine …” said Lisa. “Come on guys …” She reached into her bag, found four pokeballs and called “Return!” The sleeping forms of Fiskmire and the others – except Aipom – dematerialised in a flash of red light. Lisa reached to her necklace to withdraw Aipom, but the silvery chain was not there.

“Oh, no WAY!” moaned Lisa, looking around frantically in the soft grass of the clearing, but she could not see it anywhere. With her luck, a Murkrow had stolen it in the night … still, Aipom would be able to walk the thirty k’s with her, surely?

Paula was now hoisting her own backpack onto her back, which had been on the ground before. “I’ll be off then, love, as long as you’re alright. Wouldn’t want to be attacked by any of the creatures in this forest … Good day then …”

With that, the white-haired lady waved cheerily and disappeared through the undergrowth. She had barely gone when Lisa began to trek out of the forest herself, heading north to the peninsula and Port Valeo.

Nothing had changed in the last two months. Port Valeo was still the same resort village; the main street markets were, as usual, crowded with shoppers; the slopes around the village were looking more verdant than ever; and the small port was bustling with pleasure cruises and brightly-coloured yachts.

Lisa emerged over the crest of one of the green slopes to see the village below. It looked quite picturesque, set aside the aqua shallows of the ocean. Aipom was on her head like a turban, calling out “Leeeeeeeeeeesa!” repeatedly as the girl made her way down into the buildings which were the town.

“It is quite nice, isn’t it?” remarked Lisa to Aipom, as they weaved through the colourful markets.

“Ai!” Aipom agreed, tying Lisa’s black hair into knots while she was distracted.

“Oh look, a Berry Shop!” said Lisa eagerly. “What say we have a look in there?”

“Pom … Ai pom.”

She yanked Aipom off her head, set him on her shoulder instead and entered the cool, shadowy store, which was built into a stone building. There were a few shelves in the shop, but behind the counter were hanging baskets and jars which looked most interesting. A plump woman with dangly earrings was showing a furry green cluster of berries to a young male trainer.

“You’ll love our ExtraBerry,” said the woman in deep, mystic tones. “It can give your pokemon extra battle powers … they need only eat a bit, though it does poison them rather badly …”

“I don’t think my Magikarp will like them,” said the boy quickly and nervously. “Um … bye!”

He quickly scurried away from the dark shop and into the rectangle of light that was the door, dodging around two more people who had been coming in. Lisa, who had been looking at some Self-Watergun Berries, suddenly caught a familiar voice.

“… and he reckoned I shouldn’t be wasting time shopping when he’s getting closer to the League Battles. What a self-centred lahoooser!”

Lisa jerked her head up to see the people who had just walked in and gasped. “ Jessica!”

The two teenage girls both looked up. One familiar girl, with sleek blonde hair and bright eyes, grinned. “ Hi Lisa!”

Leaving Aipom to look at a Breadfruit Berry, Lisa jogged over to the girls. “Hi Jessica,” she said, smiling. “I hoped you’d be here for the trial. I just got here.”

The girl beside Jessica Hall looked curious. “What trial?”

Lisa exchanged looks with Jessica; Lisa’s was apologetic, Jessica’s was annoyed. “The trial run for the Discount Rates at the Resort,” lied Jessica after a pause, then she pointed enthusiastically at a collection of baskets. “Look, Olivia, Beauty Berries!”

“Where? Oh, pink ones … cool …” The other girl, who had bleached blonde hair, drifted over to a hanging basket and began reading a caption hanging from it.

Once she had gone, Lisa turned to Jessica. “Sorry.”

Jessica rolled her eyes. “That’s okay, Lisa. She doesn’t know anything about the trial yet. Andrew reckons we should just never tell her, but I don’t know what she’s going to think when we go off to the courthouse for a few hours.”

Lisa laughed. “It’ll be interesting to see Lenina again, won’t it?”

“Wonder if her hair’s grown back yet?” Jessica mused with a bleak grin. Her teeth were clenched, though. “I hope they use Capital Punishment, I mean, honestly …”

Last time they had met, Lenina had injured Jessica’s Eevee. It was evidently not safe to harm anything of Jess’s; she had delivered a sharp kick to Lenina’s shins in retaliation.

“We got into town yesterday,” said Jessica brightly. “Me and Andrew and Olivia … she’s our cousin. Glenys and Ripper are letting us stay at the resort again; it’s going really well. Where are you staying?”

Lisa hesitated. Before she could start to reply, however, Jess smiled. “You can stay at the resort if you want to, Glenys and Ripper wouldn’t mind at all, you know that!”

“Oh, well, I already … I mean, well … thanks Jess.”

Jessica smiled more broadly, but sincerely. “Nice top. Where’d you get that?” She gestured to Lisa’s white top.

“Oh, I got it for Christmas, I think it might have come from the Surf Shop in Ecruteak.”

Jess nodded vaguely. Lisa could not be sure, but from the expression on her face, it looked like Jessica was thinking ‘Thank God she got rid of those overalls’.

“Where’s Gavin?” she said suddenly.

“Hm?” said Lisa, though she’d heard perfectly well. “Oh, he’s coming later … he had to go somewhere, family stuff. Yeah. So … let’s go to the resort then, hey? Come on, Aipom.” Aipom came running up to her and clambered onto her shoulder. “I just came in here to have a look,” Lisa told Jessica. “But this place seems dodgy …”

“I reckon,” agreed Jess, pointing to a hanging basket filled with electric blue berries. “As if there are such things as Speedshock Berries. The stuff in this shop has gotta be fake. Anybody who buys any of this stuff has rocks in their head.”

As she finished her sentence, there was a clinking of coins on the counter. Olivia came over to them, smiling naively and carrying handfuls of Beauty Berries.

The sun was beginning to set by the time Andrew Hall met up with Lisa, Aipom, Jess and Olivia at the resort.

“I had to chase that bloody thing for an hour before it gave my backpack back,” he grumbled, sliding into the seat between Olivia and Lisa. The three girls had been having a milkshake at the café beside Glenys and Ripper’s hotel, staring through the huge glass wall at the sunlight rebounding off the ocean.

“At least you got it back,” said Jessica, sounding like she hardly cared. “Now you see where being rude gets you.”

Andrew muttered something under his breath and sank back into his chair when he suddenly realised Lisa sitting beside him. His eyes widened. “Sorry, didn’t see you. Hi Lisa.”

“Hey Andrew,” Lisa grinned, while Aipom played with her hair aggressively. “Long time no see … what happened to your backpack?”

He shot Jessica a distinctly accusatory look. “Well, we were going into town to do some shopping-”

“I needed those shoes!” Jessica interjected.

“Anyway,” said Andrew. “Some psychopath woman was selling sandals made of seaweed at half-price, and when I said they were stupid she set her Ekans onto me. It took my bag and just … took off. I had to chase it all the way outside town and back again before I thought to use my Quilava. That stupid woman’s not getting her Ekans back in one piece anyway … Quilava showed it …”

Jess rolled her eyes at her brother and Lisa knew he was joking, but Olivia’s eyes widened in horror.

“You snapped it in half?” she said incredulously, her green eyes huge. “You can’t be serious!”

Lisa wasn’t sure whether to take her seriously, but judging by the looks that Andrew and Jessica exchanged, she inferred that Olivia was perhaps not the brightest crayon in the box.

“AAAAAAANNNNYWAY,” said Andrew, yawning loudly. “I reckon we should get a good night’s sleep if we’re supposed to testify tomorrow.”

“It’s only six thirty!” squealed Lisa and Jess in unison.

“You know, in City Beach, we don’t have to go home if we don’t want to,” said Olivia abruptly. “The shops are open for a full 24 hours on Saturdays, too.”

“That’s great,” said Jess, flicking her sleek blonde hair impatiently. “But Andy, we’re not going to bed at all if we don’t want to.”

Andrew looked insulted. “I didn’t mean now. Just earlier than usual. We haven’t eaten yet, anyway. And Edward and Glenys said they’d take us on their boat for a night-time cruise. D’you wanna come, Lisa?”

“Sure.”

The boy eyes suddenly narrowed, as though he was trying to remember something, then –

“Hey, where’s Gavin?”

“Coming,” said Lisa, as she had done with Jess. “He had some family business but he’ll be here.” By now, she had practically convinced herself of this tale.

“He’ll have to be quick,” said Andrew. “The trial’s at eleven.”

“He’ll be there,” said Lisa quickly.

The night-time cruise was quite enjoyable. The sky was clear and filled with stars, and the seaspray that fell about their faces as the boat churned through the Valeo Cove was refreshingly cool. Lisa talked with Jessica mostly, because Andrew was trying to straighten out his backpack and a conversation with Olivia was too much of a struggle. She of course met up with Glenys and Ripper (Edward), the elderly couple who were good friends of Jess and Andrew’s. They once again insisted that she stayed with them for the time she was in Port Valeo. As Glenys often said, “We’ve won the lotto, we have all the money we want!” which was perfectly true.

Lisa and Jessica swapped stories of what they had been up to since the last time they met. Jessica told Lisa that she and Andrew had gone separate ways for awhile, but eventually joined up again. Olivia had joined them, and Phil had left on his own path with a girl called Rose.

“I don’t know where he is now,” admitted Jessica. “But he’s not coming to the trial. He sent the Ministry a written statement instead.”

Lisa nearly exploded; all she needed was a written statement? That meant she hadn’t needed to come here in the first place! Still, it would be better – this way she could see Lenina properly. And it wasn’t like she had spent any time coming to the trial … it had happened without her consent.

She went on to tell Jessica of her travels; the call from Hiro, helping him win the League, meeting Darius, losing Darius, meeting up with Marina, and Christmas. She conveniently glossed over the fact that Team Rocket seemed to want her dead, and that the legendary pokemon kept appearing, and she changed Gavin’s running-away to sound like he had left only a day ago for his Uncle’s Funeral, rather than more than two months ago. Lisa wished it had been, but what did it matter?

After all, what Jessica didn’t know couldn’t hurt her.

It was past midnight by the time Lisa and the others got back to the resort that Glenys and Ripper owned. Lisa dumped her backpack in a fairly large room with a TV and kitchen facilities, as well as an ensuite. She sank onto a very springy bed, which backed onto a window, and sighed. Aipom was at her feet, trying to tie her shoelaces together.

“Get out of it, Aipom!” Lisa cried, kicking at him half-heartedly. Aipom shrank away quietly and went off to inspect the kitchen.

Lisa untied her black hair and pulled her shoes off herself. She turned to draw the curtains shut, to block out the strong beam of the moon, but her hand had barely reached the edge of the maroon curtain before she gave a loud squeal of surprise.

Gavin Luper was standing outside the window.
    Last edited by Gavin Luper; 1st August 2007 at 01:02 PM.

Lisa the Legend

Donator Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer
    (Donator)

Eee! Crossover! Yayness!

I'm guessing Elekid/Electabuzz just got a personality change. He doesn't seems so friendly anymore.

Gavin's ouside the window? Has he been in town all along? Did he just arive? how'd he know which room was hers? I suppose I'll just have to wait for the next chap to see.
    Mew Master's Officially Approved #1 Fan

Read his fics, or I'll bash you with the Mallet of Ficcy Goodness.

Follower of ~DR the Art God, possessor of The Mechanical Pencil of Reality and The Book of Recorded Reality.

Beginning Trainer
    Beginning Trainer

wow! Awesome chapter! Continue, please.
    Step follows step, Hope follows courage,Set your face toward danger, Set your heart on victory, Victory for Bamarre!

Cool Trainer
    Cool Trainer

Oooooo...niiiiice chapter! How DID Lisa make that little "escape" anyway? And what's gonna happen to Marina? Wow, so many questions...

On a happier note, Gavin's back! I understand him leaving because his uncle died, but...a couple of months?! WHAT has he been doing all this time?...There I go asking questions again . Oh well, Congratulations on another terrific chapter! Post the next one whenever you can: the suspense is KILLING me!
    ~Noela Evans~

My FanFic Library:

Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Okay, glad that the story is moving along now. It was a pretty good cross over just not as good as the last one. I really don't have much to say about this chapter for it was rather uneventful in my grateful and personal opinion, but I think that you and Oz will make next chapter more enjoyable.
    If something is wrong, please say so.

Banned

Default HEy

I have been reading your fanfic for a couple of months. All i can say is that your fanfic is on of the best fanfics that i have ever read in a long time.Keep up the great work.

Advanced Trainer

Crossover! ^_^

Yes! Finally, Gavin makes a reappearance... Hurry up and continue! I wanna know more...

Aww....too bad about Lisa's chain, it was convenient.

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Awesome! I loved that final line! Suspense! oOoOoOoH. I now see what Andy meant about his bag; the Ekans ordeal I didn't understand in the EBTV side.

This crossover is the best! I'm loving it. But Aipom's thingy that Lisa recalled him in is gone ;_; Nooooooooooooooooo! ! ?

Keep it up!

Show-Off
    Contest fic
    *Chapter 37 up*

Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer

Default YES!!

Yay! LtL is back! ^_^

Well, this was a great way to bring the characters back together. As Powarun said, it was fairly uneventful, but you have to have some fillers, right? Anyway, your descriptions were great, and I loved the way you introduced Olivia to Lisa. ^^;

Well, as many of you know, I'm on a mission to get myself killed. (Not really, but it sounds good. ) So, I'm going to point out a few things I noticed about this chapter. After all, a great writer can't be bothered with correcting grammar himself, can he?

Lisa shivered, but tried not to think of the cold. There were so many more things to think about that were so much more important.

You used the word “think” in consecutive sentences. Another word might have been better to replace one of the two.

[I]Then Lisa landed on a soft bush very heavily. A number of branches cracked and broke and she fell through the very large bush, then landed very hard on the ground.[/I

Gyaah! Stop using the word “very”! It’s “very” irritating! [/idiotic joke]

Lisa watched in fascination, as the small beast grew much taller, wider and musclier.

Is “musclier” an Austrailian word? I’ve actually seen that in examples of English grammar of what we consider incorrect. Of course, it might be different in Aussieland.

Lisa moved closer to it and felt warm radiating around her.

The word “warm” should be “warmth”.

Port Valeo was still the same resort village; the main street markets crowded with shoppers; the slopes around the village were looking more verdant than ever; and the small port was bustling with pleasure cruises and brightly-coloured yachts.

The first semicolon is correct, but all the ones after it should be changed to commas.

Lisa could not be sure, but from the expression on her face, it looked like Jessica was thinking ‘Thank God she got rid of those overalls’.

It’s only minor punctuation, but the period should be inside the quote.

Anyway, this was nice work, and I look forward to the next chapter! And don't worry, Oz, I'll look at the EBTV side tomorrow! I'll give you reason to kill me yet!
    IT HAS RETURNED.
    THE TPM MAIN SITE.

Super Moderator
    Super Moderator

Well, here's chapter 44. It is technically part of the crossover, but doesn't really have an EBTV counterpart - you'll see. This chapter leads off straight from where the last chapter finished, and hopefully answers a couple of questions for you guys.

Cheers!

------------------------------------

Chapter 44 – Gavin’s Tale.

For a moment, Lisa hovered by the bedside, completely bewildered. Through the window glass she had just unmistakably spied a person whom she had not seen for more than two months; the person whom she had thought about more than any other during the confusing events that had occurred since December. He was very close to the window, looking completely worn out and swaying slightly.

Gavin did not look as thought he knew what he was doing – at any rate, Lisa had no idea how he could have found her at the Hotel – but she brushed this from her mind and almost leapt at the window latch, throwing it open and allowing the humid night air to flow in.

“ Gavin!” cried Lisa, a numb sense of disbelief sweeping over her as she pressed her face against the screen. “ Gavin! It’s me, Lisa!”

The boy’s head jerked upwards and Lisa gasped before she could stop herself; his left cheek was disfigured by a deep gash that ran almost from his ear to the corner of his mouth.

“ Hi Lisa,” he said, as though they were having a casual chat. “ I thought you’d be here.”

Gavin had moved up to the screen of Lisa’s hotel window now; Lisa was grateful she had asked for the ground floor suite.

“ What happened to your face, Gavin?” Lisa gabbled quickly, still astonished that her missing friend had turned up so suddenly in the middle of the night. “ Where have you been? Why didn’t you call me, or send a letter or -”

But Lisa stopped herself; Gavin did not look at all well; he was swaying on the spot, almost like a drunk, and she noticed that he was not moving his left arm at all. Lisa paused for a moment, unsure of what to say or do, then found her tongue. “ I spose you’d better come in, then. Can you help me get this flyscreen off?” she asked him, tugging at the edge of the screen.

She saw something flicker in his eyes, which were bloodshot, before he nodded obediently and gripped the outside of the screen with his right hand. Lisa noticed now more than ever than his left arm stayed firmly by his side. Together, they tried to pull the screen away so that Gavin could come inside. Five minutes of futile shifting and jiggling passed, until Gavin said, “ I think you need to lift that bottom part up, then I’ll pull it out from this side.”

Lisa lifted the base of the flyscreen as high up as she could, and Gavin pulled it. Instantly, the screen slipped out of its position and slid to the ground with a dull bump. Lisa smiled grimly and even Gavin managed a quick grin; they had wasted so much time jiggling the screen around.

Gavin began to climb up over the windowsill but had barely got his leg over when he winced in pain and sharply withdrew his leg.

“ What’s wrong?” Lisa cried at once, wishing he would hurry up and get inside, so that she could find out where he had been for the last two months.

“ Leg,” muttered Gavin, hopping precariously on his other leg. Without thinking much, Lisa clambered over the windowsill and into the warm air of the night, landing softly on the grass beside Gavin. Without a word, he began to hobble over the lawns around the resort, while Lisa followed. They skirted two sides of the hotel in silence before they reached an elaborate gazebo enclosed by many trees and shrubs; Gavin changed direction and headed for the small wooden structure, which lay about twenty metres from the hotel, and had small wooden stools scattered around in it.

Gavin sat down on one of the stools, and Lisa chose once with a cushioned leather seat and perched upon it eagerly. At last – he had not done it yet – Gavin looked directly at her, into her eyes. She noticed not just how bloodshot his eyes were, but how they had changed somehow; they were no longer as jovial as they had once seemed.

“ I’m sorry I’ve been gone so long,” Gavin said at last, “ But I really didn’t mean to be.”

“ I hope not!” said Lisa, emerging from her silent incredulity. “ I’ve been worried like hell, I thought you could have been dead, I mean, you didn’t send any word to say that you were still alive, did you?”

“ No,” said Gavin at once, but he did not look distressed by Lisa’s increasingly accusatory tone of voice. “ Just give me a chance and I can explain everything. Well, not everything, but a lot. Really strange things have been happening lately – and I mean more strange than what happened in December …” He trailed off, but Lisa knew he meant the time when they had seen Entei, Suicune and Raikou fighting; the time Anna had been killed by Entei.

Lisa thought for a moment, wanting to ask a thousand questions of her own rather than have Gavin tell his story at his own pace. “ Alright, then, tell me what happened,” she said in contrast to her own feelings. She wriggled into a more comfortable position on the leather stool and sat still, ready to hear Gavin’s story.

“ Well, where should I start?” said Gavin.

“ How about at the pool in Silver City?” prodded Lisa, almost exploding with her eagerness to hear the story. “ You know, when you ran off?”

Gavin considered this for a second, then nodded.

“ OK, so I was having a swim in that pool, just minding my own business, waiting for you to come meet me and have a swim. But then out of nowhere I heard someone yell my name – I’d just come up above the surface, so I wasn’t expecting it, but then she called again and I looked up and saw Mel.”

Lisa opened her mouth to ask about Mel’s identity; the woman had appeared at Lisa’s hotel door and demanded to see Gavin, and Lisa had seen little more of her than that. But Lisa shut her mouth and let Gavin continue; she was too curious about where the story was going to ask questions at the moment.

“ I hadn’t seen Melanie for ages,” continued Gavin. “ But I knew straight away what she was going to tell me, it’s strange … oh, you don’t know Mel, do you?” Gavin added.

Lisa shook her head.

“ She used to work at the Radio Tower with me, but I knew her even before that. She was one of my Uncle’s friends. Her and my Uncle both worked in an office in Ecruteak, a few years ago. Anyway … well, you know this already, but Uncle Eusine died in December. He was found dead near the Tin Tower.” Gavin’s voice shook very slightly, and Lisa could tell that he was quite determined to keep talking normally. She nodded and he went on in the same tone as before.

“ I didn’t believe it – I couldn’t; Eusine was dead? I ran away, I’m sorry, but I just took off. Ran for a while, out of the city, then caught a bus back to Ecruteak. I got there on Christmas Eve for his funeral … there weren’t many people there …”

Lisa had abruptly realised that she knew very little about Gavin’s family. He had only really mentioned them once, on a boat in the Whirl Islands. He had said that both his parents were dead. For all Lisa knew, Eusine had been one of Gavin’s few living relatives.

“ Mel was there as well,” Gavin went on. “ She told me that you were coming back to Ecruteak for Christmas, but I didn’t really want to see you then, I dunno, I just felt too overwhelmed. On Christmas Eve, though, after the funeral, at night, I went to your place and left your present. I thought maybe I’d go stay at Mel’s place for awhile. I stayed there on Christmas Eve anyway.

“ On Christmas night I decided I might as well meet back up with you. I needed my pokemon back anyway, Lanturn and Staryu. At about eight I walked over to your place, I thought I’d explain why I had just run away like that and left you in Silver City, but then …” He trailed off uncertainly.

“ I got to the edge of your suburb when they attacked me. Three people; I never got to see who they were, but my bet is Team Rocket, stupid pricks. I’d just turned a corner and they’d suddenly charged straight into me. I don’t know how they knew I was against them, as opposed to an innocent bystander, but they tried to attack me. Two were blokes, they pulled out a gun; the other one was a girl, she went straight into attack and tried to tear my face off …” Gavin gingerly touched the scar on his cheek, almost subconsciously. “ Anyway, they got me in the end, I mean, how can I fight a gun – my pokemon were either with you or at Mel’s.”

Lisa had another score of questions she was burning to ask Gavin, but somewhere in her head she still found an answer. “ Your telekinesis,” she said. “ Why didn’t you –”

But Gavin had held up a hand and stopped her at once.

“ Haven’t you noticed how long it’s been since I used anything psychic?” he said sharply. “ At first I just tried not to use it unless I really needed to – I mean, it’s not something you want to draw attention to, and it’s pretty draining. But I haven’t been able to at all lately; I don’t think I have since that time when we teleported from the airport, but that was with heaps of help from Natu.”

Lisa thought hard, and couldn’t remember Gavin using his psychic for quite some time.

“ What, so you just … can’t do it anymore?”

Gavin shrugged. “ Doesn’t seem like it. That’s just another weird thing, though. Anyway, back to my story …” He put on his storytelling voice.

“ The people, whoever they were, knocked me out with the gun, so I was out like a light. The next time I woke up, I was in a van of some sort, and I knew they were taking me somewhere, like headquarters or something. And they did – about midnight the van I was in stopped; we’d come to this big cave thing, dunno where. They took me out of the van – well actually, threw me out of the van …” Gavin’s hand had come to rest subconsciously on his left arm.

“ They were wearing everyday clothes, not a Rocket uniform, so for all I knew at that stage, they were completely unrelated. They made me walk into the cave – whoa! I’d been expecting a bare cave, but no way. Completely different. They had a desk there, and computers, and phones and stuff. And heaps and heaps of files stacked around the place.

“ The guys who kidnapped me pushed me down a few tunnels, but they all had torches in them. It was pretty obvious by then that I was in a secret headquarters or something. Eventually we came to a huge room, it took about half a second for me to realise it was a prison area. There were no windows – maybe we were underground – but there were cells, of course, with huge thick bars. It was like in one of them movies … but not as cool, cause I got thrown a cell.

“ And guess who I met in the cell? I wouldn’t have even thought about it, but there you go – Professor Westwood. Remember him from the Whirl Islands that time?”

Lisa had a fleeting memory of a podgy, balding, middle-aged man with a significantly large nose.

“ He was in the cell too?” she said, unsure of what was going to happen next in this odd story of Gavin’s. “ What did they want with him?”

“ Well, I asked him straight away,” Gavin said. “ Westwood recognised me right away, though he didn’t look to great himself, sitting on a bunk bed, muttering about something. He was still stable, mentally, though – that was the thing that surprised me.”

“ How long had he been there?” Lisa said; it was the question that had escaped her lips first, just before “ Is he all right?” and “ Why was he in there?”

“ Months. I’ll get to that in a second. He told me a fair bit as soon as I got chucked in the cell. I asked him if he was OK, he said that it wasn’t important, it was only important that he told me everything at once.

“ And there’s a lot that he told me. First up he explained what had happened to him. A couple of days after we left to go back to Olivine City on the mainland – you know, after the Whirlpool Cup – he took off to see his mate Joseph on Silver Rock Island. He actually told us about it when we were there, but I forgot at the time. Anyway, his good friend Joseph turned against him suddenly – had him tied up. And he questioned him non-stop for days. I don’t know why, but Westwood didn’t want to tell me what Joseph was asking – only that it was something horrible, something he could not think about, that he would not speak about. I gave up asking him after a few days.

“ But he told me other stuff too. He said that the organization – the Rockets – they no longer have a thing for stealing pokemon for fun, or whatever. For awhile now, they’ve had their eyes on Legendaries: Entei, Suicune, Raikou, Ho-oh, Lugia … but especially, Lunanine.

“ And why else would they kidnap Westwood? He has a more extensive knowledge on each and every creature than a lot of people – and he had just been given a heap of info from you about Lunanine. Luckily he submitted the Pokedex entry before he was kidnapped. Poor bloke wouldn’t tell me anything else about him, but I’m pretty sure that Lunanine’s got something to do with it. All in all, the Legendaries are what the Rockets are after …

“ As for the Legendaries, they’re just as mysterious at the moment, aren’t they? That time we saw them, when Anna died, that was definitely something. Entei disappeared, the other two were against him. And then we saw Suicune at Tom’s Engagement, and Lunanine at your place as well – and what about the fight that Suicune and Entei had? Did Entei really die?”

Lisa thought about it, but she didn’t really need to consider it. It didn’t seem possible that a massive fire-dog, capable of murder and quite obviously evil, could be destroyed and defeated so easily as it had seemed when Suicune fought it in the Ice Path. There was something about how Lisa had not actually seen Entei die, but rather burst into flame that obscured him from view, that made her think that the fire dog was still very much alive and plotting something.

“ I don’t think so,” said Lisa in response to Gavin’s question. “ I think he’s definitely alive.”

“ And so do I,” Gavin said instantly. “ Which means we’re in a lot of danger – not just from the Rockets, but Entei too.”

There was a pensive silence. Then Lisa said, “ So, what happened then?”

“ Oh right,” said Gavin, jerking back into story mode. “ Well, the other thing Westwood told me was that the Rockets are planning something really big. As in, a huge operation. For a couple of months they’ve been almost ignoring him, just feeding him enough to keep him alive, in existence, but lately they’ve been questioning him again, more intensely than before. And he said he’s seen heaps more Rockets in the caves lately – they’ve brought in reinforcements for whatever they’re planning.

“ He asked about you as well, Lisa. He wanted to know if you still had those crystal bells he gave you back on Red Rock Island.”

“ Of course I do,” said Lisa. “ They’re in … oh no!”

With a very sickening jolt, she realised that the Crystal Bells were not in her backpack, but at her home somewhere. And her home had been invaded by the Rockets a couple of days ago – chances were, the Bells were in their hands already. Lisa actually winced when she realised she would have to tell Gavin the story of what had happened to her lately, once he had finished.

“ Where are they?” cried Gavin, apparently forgetting that it was late at night and they were outside a hotel.

“ At home … don’t worry, I’ll explain everything to you once you’ve told me your side of the story.”

“ All right,” said Gavin, casting a sidelong glance at her. “ Well, the day after they put me in the cell, I was taken out by two agents and went into an office to see some woman. I think she was an executive. She asked me who I was, I gave her a fake name but I don’t see how that helps me in the long run. She said I was to remain in their prison for as long as they deemed necessary, because they suspected that I had information that their organisation might find useful. Then they took me back to the cell. I was in there for what I think was another month and a half – yeah, it was February the eleventh when I got out, but in the meantime, a lot happened. Turns out Westwood was right; there were heaps more Rockets patrolling the caves than I even knew existed. They keep getting more guns as well, I saw crates of ammo arrive once, they took them past the cell and into a store room. Something big is going to happen soon.”

“ How did you get out?” Lisa asked him curiously.

This time, Gavin’s face was briefly lit with a smile, as though he was experiencing a good memory. “ It was luck, really. I wouldn’t have escaped if I’d kept my mouth shut. You see, on the eleventh they took Westwood for another questioning, and when he came back the guard – I knew him by name by then, he’s Damek – threw him on the floor of the cell and spat on him. I couldn’t stand that – I told him to piss off, leave Westwood alone – he punched me in the side of my face and yelled and told me to go with him. Since he had a gun, I didn’t really protest.

“ Damek put me in a huge office that was a lot nicer than the woman’s office I went in before. I figured it must be a really elite Rocket. Anyway, he left me there alone, though I was pretty sure he was listening right outside the door in case I tried to escape. I didn’t want to move anyway, I don’t fancy being shot. I sat there for about ten minutes, and then the door opened, and this guy walked in. I could tell straight away that he was the boss, or one of them. He had a heap of badges on his shirt and he had a weird gun. He said that I should begin to respect the organisation and stuff like that. I kept quiet. Then he started asking me who I was, said he knew I was lying about my identity, and that unless I told him, he’d shoot me. There wasn’t really much choice, so I said that my name was Gavin Luper, and that I had no idea why I’d been brought in for questioning. He was still writing my name down when I grabbed the gun of his desk. I don’t know why, I didn’t think, but I just wanted to escape. Prison was so boring and so difficult to bear, I just had to leave – this was the closest I had come to a weapon in ages. So I pointed it straight at his face – he yelled out – I pulled the trigger. I didn’t even look to see what happened to him, I turned round to the door, threw it open and ran like hell down the tunnel of the cave outside. I was sure somebody would have heard the shots, and even if they didn’t, the caves were swarming with Rockets; I wouldn’t be getting far. I didn’t know where to go, so I guessed and took the left tunnel. It went downwards for awhile and I thought I was probably going away from the exit, so I turned down a side tunnel and this one went really steeply upwards. The tunnel got steeper and steeper and eventually it was almost a climb. I looked up after a minute or two and saw daylight above me; I hadn’t seen it for weeks, it dazzled me. It was hard to climb the last few metres up the tunnel – it was practically vertical by then – but I managed it and pulled myself out of a hole in the rocks. I looked around and that’s when I discovered I was on Silver Rock Island. Big silver rocks everywhere. I ran for it – straight across the rocks and a road that’s been built there – I kept going till I reached the shore, then swam for it. I swam all the way to Red Rock, and told the police at the station about the Rocket’s lair. I acted innocent; I said I’d been walking across the island on a holiday and seen a few Team Rocket people in the distance, so I came and alerted them. They didn’t ask many questions – I left Red Rock as soon as I could on the back of a fairly helpful Seaking, and came to Olivine Port.”

Gavin seemed tired out by so much talking; he had never spoken for so long, and about so much – at least, not that Lisa could remember. There was a short pause after Gavin’s last words, and Lisa was about to speak up when Gavin went on, adding what must have been the epilogue to his tale.

“ I got back to Ecruteak five days ago, at Mel’s place, she wasn’t home though. There was a note there for me, from the Ministry of Justice, saying that I had to come here for the trial. I knew at once that there was no point going to your place – I might as well go straight to Port Valeo. I packed my backpack, retrieved my pokemon and headed straight for here. I figured you’d be at the hotel again.”

Lisa didn’t know what to say. Gavin had been through so much over the past month, and so had she, yet neither of them really knew why they were so fervently pursued.

“ That’s it,” said Gavin in a satisfied tone, sounding quite a lot lighter than he had when Lisa had seen him outside the window. His face was no longer creased in worry, and he managed a quick grin at Lisa. She grinned back. “ Well, then?” Gavin said. “ Can I hear your side of the story, or is it too secret for my ears?”

Lisa smiled again and launched into her story, from the moment Melanie had told her Gavin was gone right up to the cruise she had enjoyed with Jessica, Andrew and Olivia that night. Gavin listened with rapt attention, he looked curious when Lisa talked of her Battlemagic Items, he was even more so when he heard about Raikou’s appearance to Lisa, but he was totally silent when she told of the Rockets invading her home.

“ And I was just getting into bed when I saw you outside the window,” Lisa finished after half an hour. Gavin inclined his head slightly to acknowledge that she was finished. There was a long pause, punctuated by a loud yawn from Gavin, who had interrupted Lisa’s story far more than she had interrupted his. Nevertheless, they had not gained any greater understanding of what either the Rockets or the Legendaries were up to.

“ Well, if you ask me,” muttered Gavin after some time, sitting pensively on his wooden stool beneath the gazebo. “ The trial is what we should focus on for now; after tomorrow, we’ll go back to Ecruteak and try to work everything out once and for all. How’s that sound?”

“ Easier than doing it right now,” replied Lisa, whose head was spinning with all that she had heard and said tonight. “ D’you want to go back inside then?”

“ Alright,” said Gavin, standing up and beginning the long hobble back to the window of Lisa’s hotel room. Lisa rose from her leathery stool with slight difficulty (her leg was stuck to it) and left the gazebo just behind Gavin as a weak beam of moonlight speared through the clouds to light their way; it was almost two-thirty in the morning.

Unfortunately, neither Lisa nor Gavin noticed the bushes beside the gazebo rustling as they left.

Lisa the Legend

Super Moderator

Awww Poor Gavin's scarred and broken! That's no good! What's the full run down on his injuries, and is he wearing anything different? And what does Lisa wear these days?

But it was nice to see him back again and to have a Gavin-centric episode where it wasn't ALL ABOUT LISA for a change ;P That limelight hog!

But are Gavin's fading powers a sign of his impeding death behind that awful Tin Tower?

Ah, well I hope Professor westy dies, I never did like him.

I loved the part where Gavin shoots the guy cause he's bored that's hillarious. And what happened to that Seaking? John West reject?

But what's behind the Gazebo!?

I'd still like to see Jean and Wes being delightfully evil, you know, how kids are *Ants in a tick tac container with a magnifying glass on them*

Gee, I missed Gavin, I know that sounds wierd, but he really was a vital part of this story! Good work! I have like 4 pages done so far.

Super Moderator
    Super Moderator

Hey Oz! Thanks for the reply! Lol, Rat Race!

I get your point, there wasn't much description of the surroundings and stuff in that chapter, but oh well. I'm not going to say anything about the Professor or Gavin's future or anything, but the Seaking was just doing a favour. That, and it was migrating north anyway.

And indeed, what is behind the gazebo??? Dum dum dum dum ...

Tune in next time for more!

Lisa the Legend

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Great work! I thorough (sp?) enjoyment to read. It seems Gavin's been doing a lot more tha mourning these couple of months ^^

Westy should live...maybe...or die. I'm not all that bothered unless he turns out to be someone cool in disguise, like Batman or something.

Great work,
    Chris

Show-Off
    Contest fic
    *Chapter 37 up*

Cool Trainer
    Cool Trainer

Oh my...so THAT'S what happened to Gaven?! Yikes!!! I really feel bad for the guy; having to go through all that just after his uncle died. Don't these rockets have any heart...wait, what am I saying? Of course they don't!

This was a great chapter. I can't wait to see what happens at the trial.
    ~Noela Evans~

My FanFic Library:

Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer

*whistes softly* Man... Gavin's been through hell!

That was one heck of a crazy story. Gavin seems very detatched, though. Is it just because of his long imprisonment, or is it something else? Hmm. And why can't he use psychic powers anymore?! Aagh! This is too weird!

And what's the gazebo thingy??

Overall, very, very good job. It was fascinating to hear from Gavin, even after this long wait. *glances at the newbie writers* Anyway, I'm more excited than ever to see what happens next! I can't wait for the next chapter! Awesome!

See ya then!
    IT HAS RETURNED.
    THE TPM MAIN SITE.

Super Moderator
    Super Moderator

Brit Chris: Hell yeah, Gavin hasn't just been mourning and moping, oh no. Lol ... as for Westwood's fate, we'll see ... maybe he'll just die of old age?

Zeldafan: Yep, that's what he's been through. Unexpected? Ah well. Yeah, the Rockets are mean, but you ain't seen nothin' yet!

Chapter 45 is on the way!

Mr Pikachu: I wouldn't really call it hell, I mean it wouldn't have been easy, but at least he wasn't constantly bashed like Westwood. Still, he's safe now, isn't he?

I know, it seems like such a long time since we've seen Gavin - it's about 5 chapters since he ran away. But it's been like 6 months since I posted that chapter, so ... yeah.

Cheers guys!

Lisa the Legend

Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

Yay! chapter! I think that Gavin's story was done well, because although it was all Gavin talking, we didn't get bored or anything. (Not like we could have... pretty surprising stuff.)
    I'm thinking the same as Oz about Gavin's fading powers...
    mistysakura
    2007 Golden Pens: Co-winner of Best Poem (Rain Eternal) and Best Reviewer
    2007 Silver Pencils: Winner of Best Poem (Death Sonnet -- Untitled)
    2004 Silver Pencils: Winner of Nicest Fanficcer & Least Likely Couple (with PancaKe)
    Former 3-time winner of Most Dedicated Reader at the Fanfiction Forums
    Also Keeper of the 'A'ctivator Unown

Brimstone Diamonds. The Artist. Tightrope. Solitude. Autopsy.
    Glitter (one-shot).
    Listen to Rain Eternal -- a song.

Random thought: 2+2=5.

Super Moderator
    Super Moderator

G'day everyone!

I don't have much to say except, me and OzAndrew have finally finished the final part of the Lisa the Legend - Electric Buggy to Victory Crossover. It's an absolutely massive chapter - my biggest ever - so sit back and enjoy the chapter, broken up into three parts because of its sheer size!

EBTV counterpart link: HERE!

Cheers!

-------------------------------------

Chapter 45 – The Court Case.

Lisa stirred in her hotel bed, feeling grumpy. She hadn’t had a good sleep; dreams of Gavin running around fiery streets, shooting down every passing person like Rambo, had filled most of her night. Although she trusted him very much, she wondered, as she awoke, if he still had the gun he had stolen or not – was he changed, because he killed a man, or was he still just Gavin?

She heard the door open and raised her head to see Gavin striding through the door, walking towards the kitchenette. Apparently he had been out already this morning, even though – judging by the sun’s position outside the window – it was still very early. Gavin began making a coffee for himself, humming something quietly. Lisa watched him through her messy strands of black hair that had spread across her face during her slumber. He didn’t look too different, despite the long scar that spread across the side of his face. He had showered and shaved, and it looked like he’d even tried to make his dark hair presentable – it looked as though it had some gel in it, or maybe it was just wet. He had also changed his clothes, though they were very casual – today he wore boardies and a black tank top. As he didn’t have a backpack with him anymore, Lisa had a feeling the clothes might have been another favour from Glenys and Ripper.

Just then, Gavin turned around and saw Lisa staring at him. She hastily put her hands to her eyes, as if she had just woken up.

“ Morning,” said Gavin.

Lisa just grunted. She felt grumpy; she would rather curl up in a ball and sleep than have to help convict a crazy professor of a crime.

“ What’s the time?” she asked, flopping back into bed, then throwing her sheets off; it was quite warm and humid.

“ Twenty-seven minutes and thirteen seconds past eight o’clock,” said Gavin, smirking.

“ Why do you always have to be such a perfectionist?” Lisa snapped, rolling over face-down on her mattress. She felt annoyed at Gavin, though she didn’t know why. She punched her pillow and slowly began to get up; the trial was at eleven, and she would be late if she didn’t start getting ready now.

Gavin chuckled at her snappiness. Angrily, Lisa tried to wriggle back down to sleep, but her head felt heavy and it was becoming quite hot now. Almost angrily, she got up and threw the curtains open. Through the clear glass (the screen was still on the grass outside) she could see the gardens, and the footpath on the side of the road. The sky outside was grey and swirling with clouds, despite the humidity and heat of the day. Without a word to Gavin, Lisa began to make the bed, aware that her hair was sticking out everywhere and her eyes were sleepy. She had just fixed a very stubborn sheet on the bed when Gavin said, “ Hey, Lisa, look here!” She looked up at him and was greeted with a bright flash – he had taken a photograph of her standing there in her boxer shorts, looking half-dead.

“ You’re so immature, Gavin, you little turd! Grow up!” yelled Lisa, ignoring the fact that Gavin was older than she was. She picked up her buzzball, which sat on the bedside table, and ditched it hard at Gavin without looking, before trudging off to the shower. Judging from Gavin’s yell as Lisa closed the bathroom door, she had hit him.

Lisa gave a small, savage grin as she went to get ready for the eventful day ahead.

Lisa left the apartment a half-hour later, dressed in jeans and a top, which she considered much more respectable than Gavin’s clothes, which still consisted of a black tank top and boardies. She suspected he was looking forward to a swim, but if she had it her way, they wouldn’t be swimming for awhile.

They were nearly ready to leave the apartment when Gavin, who was placing a pair of binoculars on the nightstand, looked out the window and called out to Lisa.

“ What is it?” she asked, rushing to the window at once.

“ Look!” said Gavin, and she did; outside, past the tree that Lisa had seen Gavin by last night, there was a police car parked. An officer was stepping out of the car and, as they watched, walked across the vast green lawns of the resort, heading for the entrance.

“ Can you think of any other reason the police would be here than to see us?” said Gavin, and Lisa understood. The officer must have been there to tell them about the trial. “ We should probably go, then,” she suggested, and Gavin nodded. Lisa threw her pokegear around her neck, placed Aipom on her shoulder (he immediately attacked her hair) and left the apartment for the hallway.

She reached Jessica’s doorway when somebody coming the other way literally bumped into her, splashing her with salty water; Jessica, who had apparently gone for an early morning swim. Her arms and body were covered in odd blotches.

“ Oh, Jessica!” Lisa said, trying not to look at the blotches, and nervously fiddling with her pokegear instead.

“ What?” said Jessica, wringing out her smooth blonde hair.

Lisa grinned excitedly. “ Gavin’s here, and so is a police officer,” she told Jessica, who gave a nervous smile. At that moment, Gavin rounded the corner behind her, grinning at Jessica. The blonde-haired girl stopped in her tracks; she was staring at the scar on Gavin’s left cheek, apparently stunned. There was a brief silence, in which Gavin looked at Jess and snorted.

“ Hey Jess. Er – you look … blotchy …” he said, and Lisa rolled her eyes at his tact.

It was then that Jessica seemed to notice that she had a blotchy rash covering her entire body from her legs and feet right up to her arms. At Gavin’s words she began frantically checking her body over, and when she finally looked back at Lisa and Gavin her face was scarlet with embarrassment.

“ Uh, you’ll have to excuse me for a little while!” she said hastily, disappearing into her apartment and slamming the door.

Gavin began laughing loudly, but Lisa slapped his arm and told him to shut up. After all, it wasn’t Jessica’s fault that she had become blotchy, presumably from her early swim at the beach.

“ Besides, you have a huge scar on your face, everyone notices that,” Lisa told him, but he shrugged.

“ At least the scar’s only in one place.”

Lisa ignored him. They stood outside Jessica’s door for ten minutes, waiting for her so they could see the police officer, but she didn’t seem in any hurry to appear. Gavin developed an annoying habit of tapping his foot on the ground to the tune of ‘Fourth Time lucky’, which annoyed Lisa so much (it was the song she hated more than any other) that she was forced to slap him again. He didn’t looked abashed at all, just moved a few metres away where he could hum and tap his foot in comfort.

“ Jessica, do you need some help?” Lisa said at last, knocking at the mahogany door with impatience. “ It’s just that we … uh … have to see the police officer now.”

Gavin chuckled loudly, probably because his foot tapping had reached peak volume now, or because Jess was so embarrassed; either way, Lisa punched him as hard as she could on the arm, and this time she seemed to actually make some sort of headway, because he grunted with pain and stopped tapping his foot.

“ No, no I’m fine, really, I’ll be ready in a little while. You go ahead, I’ll see you in your apartment,” came Jessica’s voice, muffled through the door.

“ She said to go to our apartment and meet her there,” Lisa told Gavin, leading the way down the hallway, and prying Aipom off an expensive-looking vase that he had found. She had taken a few steps only when she saw a tall policeman striding down the hall from the other direction; he walked straight up to her and Gavin.

“ Lisa and Gavin, am I right?” he said at once in a deep voice.

“ Yes, that’s us.”

“ Ah, good. Um, could you just go in this apartment here –” he indicated Andrew’s apartment – “ I just need to check something in the lobby …”

“ Alright,” Lisa said.

She and Gavin breezed into Andrew’s apartment, and Jessica walked in straight after them. The room was clean and brightly lit, and Andrew and Olivia were already waiting – Andrew was sitting on the bench, and Olivia was on the couch, grooming a strange creature Lisa recognised as a Spoink. It was an odd, dark-grey, pig-like pokemon, with a coral-coloured orb sitting atop its head.

“ I didn’t know you had a Spoink Olivia,” said Lisa, trying to make conversation before Olivia did. She patted the Spoink gingerly; it made a funny crooning noise. Lisa sat down on the couch, along with Jessica, while Gavin found a place on a bench stool.

Andrew looked from Olivia to Gavin. “ Oh Gavin, this is our cousin, Olivia,” he said, introducing them. Lisa thought It was quite comical to watch: Gavin jerked his head in greeting and smiled, but the result was to make his scar more protuberant – meanwhile, Olivia was staring, as though in a trance, at Gavin’s disfigurement.

Finally she said, very bluntly, “ Um, did you know you have a HUGE scar on your face?”

Gavin was very straight-faced. “ Well no, I didn’t know. Thanks for telling me,” he replied sardonically; Lisa fought to keep from laughing.

There was a very stand-offish air between Gavin and Olivia right from the beginning. There was a short silence, and then Olivia tried to bring the conversation to a plane she could understand.

“ Do you like clothes?” she asked Gavin earnestly.

He rolled his eyes in her plain view. “ Not really.”

“ Oh … do you like hair?”

Andrew, Jessica and Lisa were acting like spectators in a tennis match, looking back and forth from Olivia to Gavin and back again.

Gavin snorted loudly. “ Uh, no, why should I?”

At last Andrew broke into the tense conversation. “ Olivia … guys don’t talk about clothes and hair, ok?” He looked irritated.

Lisa covered her mouth so Olivia would see her giggling, but apparently she had had enough.

“ Oh, you guys are no fun!” she stormed, standing up so quickly that her little Spoink plummeted to the carpet, the pink pearl atop its head rolling away. Olivia ignored this; she strode icily out of the room, leaving her pig pokemon to its own devices; it picked up the pearl and ran outside after Olivia just as she slammed the door.

“ You could have been nice to her, Gavin,” said Lisa, wrenching Aipom off her shoulder and sitting him on the couch where Olivia had been. He chittered loudly, but for once sat still as the door swung open, and the tall police officer walked into the room without knocking, which Lisa thought was a bit rude. Still, she didn’t have much time to think about things like that; the tension in the room was as thick as mud. Everyone waited for the man to say something. Aipom coughed and sneezed at the same time suddenly, breaking the silence, and then the policeman spoke.

“ Well kids, I have good news and bad news,” he said simply.

“ Bad news first, that way we’ve got the good to make it bittersweet,” Jessica said instantly, and Lisa nodded in agreeance.

The policeman nodded. “ Well, the bad news is that Lenina may be making another attempt to take you out of the picture,” he said, all in a rush. “ See, you’re the main witnesses to the case and without you, all we have is burnt out science equipment, a carcass or two and no hard evidence. So there’s a high chance your lives will be on the line.” He paused dramatically. “ However, if you want to –” his tone of voice made it clear that he did not want them to – “ you could always wish to withdraw – and have Lenina walk free.”

Everybody sat in silence: Andrew was staring into space, Gavin had his eyes closed and was rubbing his forehead, Jessica was looking pensive, and Lisa felt that there was no choice about it. Let Lenina walk free? After she had tried to kill them all – and Phil? No, there was only one way to go about the Court Case.”

Lisa opened her mouth to voice her opinion, but surprisingly Gavin got in first.

“ I’m not letting some reject retiree get the best of me … I’m not going to let this ***** ruin my life,” he said coldly, and Lisa saw a deadness in his eyes that she had briefly seen the previous night.

“ You’re right,” said Andrew at once. “ We can’t let her get away with what she did to us … and whoever else she came across.”

Jessica nodded and Lisa, feeling very lame, said, “ Yeah.”

The police officer nodded contently. “ Good. Also, we found out she was in contact with an unknown person, who we believe might orchestrate your downfall.”

His words threw a dark hush over the room again. But, before anyone could voice their feelings on this new spin on the case, he said cheerily, “ On the upside, you have an extra day before the trial; it’s been postponed because we believed Lenina was trying to escape custody. So … we’ll see you at the courthouse tomorrow at noon, then.”

And with that, he strolled out of the room, leaving Andrew, Gavin, Jessica and Lisa to their very confused feelings.

Lisa returned to her apartment to have a second shower – she felt she needed it to relax after being told that there might be someone trying to kill them all. Also, she was angry that she hadn’t thought to report the invasion of her home to the policeman – she had simply let him walk out.

When Lisa walked into the Resort’s restaurant half an hour later, it was to find Jessica, Olivia, Glenys and Ripper all seated around a table that overlooked the beach not too far away. Andrew was nowhere to be seen and Gavin sat at a small, separate table with a dusty-haired boy Lisa didn’t know. As Lisa approached the big table, everyone gave her a cheerful “ Good morning,” or something similar, except Jessica, who was on her mobile phone, and Ripper, who was immersed in a newspaper called the Coastal Courier. Now that the trial had been put off for a day, everybody seemed far more relaxed.

Gavin raised his eyebrows at Lisa as she walked past his table. “ Hey Leese, this is my mate Brent, we played soccer together when I lived in Ecruteak.”

“ Nice to meet you,” Lisa shook Brent’s hand.

“ Same to you, Lisa,” said Brent benevolently, and then, without another word, they both turned back to their own whispered conversation and ignored her. Lisa shrugged, at the same time thinking how rude they were, and she had barely taken a few steps towards the big table when Glenys stood up and came to meet her half-way between Gavin’s table and her’s.

“ What would you like for breakfast, Lisa?” asked Glenys happily. She was a kind elderly lady, though not soft by any means, and winning the lottery had not changed the amount of work she did.

“ We’ve all had ours,” chimed in Jessica, who sat beside Gavin.

“ Nothing thanks,” said Lisa, though she didn’t know why – she was hungrier than she could ever remember being.

“ Pancakes and coffee it is then,” said Glenys firmly, completely ignoring Lisa, and she bustled away to the kitchens to make them. As business had dropped off after ten, the owners were sitting around enjoying themselves.

Lisa had the misjudgement to sit beside Olivia, who at once began talking to her about the Beauty Berries she had bought the day before, and how effective they were.

“ I tasted a couple this morning and I think I look even nicer than usual,” she said, sipping at what was left of a bright pink milkshake. Lisa had a hunch that the remainder of the Beauty Berries might be blended into the milkshake, and she turned away quickly to the table where Gavin and his friend were.

They were talking about soccer, which Lisa found exceedingly dull.

“ The Blundell Bears are sure to win, hands down,” said Brent excitedly, throwing a sidelong glance at Lisa that she apparently wasn’t meant to see.

“ You’re joking!” cried Gavin vehemently. “ The Bears can’t win a game without Williamson, and he’s got a knee injury. Mark my words, it’ll be the Ducks.”

Brent snorted loudly. “ The Dervine Ducks? Yeah right …”

And so went the conversation. Jessica was still on her mobile, and Olivia was still talking rapidly to Lisa, except now it was about City Beach. Lisa muttered “ Cool” and “ Oh really?” every twenty seconds, but her gaze was now fixed on Ripper, who was reading the paper with a bemused expression. When he finished what he was reading, he put the paper down on the table and muttered to himself, “ Publicity …”

“ What’s that you’re reading?” Lisa said abruptly, interrupting Olivia in mid-sentence.

Ripper looked up and ran a hand over his grey hair. “ You see for yourself … ridiculous …” He handed the paper to Lisa, pointed to a long article and went to finish his tea. Beside the article were two photographs: one of a young woman showing an empty house, and the other of none other than Professor Oak. Lisa read the article with growing concern:

RESEARCHER’S REPEAT DISAPPEARANCE CONFOUNDS POLICE

- Olivine City.

Olivine police this morning revealed that the renowned Pokemon Researcher Professor Samuel Oak has vanished once again while on holiday with his colleague Rachel Hudson. The disappearance has police and detectives confounded, not only because of the complexity of the case, but also because this is the second time Oak has disappeared.

Miss Hudson raised the alarm early yesterday morning, claiming that Professor Oak had gone to the coastal community of Dervine the day before, but had failed to return. “ He hasn’t left a number or message, and his holiday home in Dervine is completely deserted,” said Miss Hudson yesterday. “ I’m really worried that he could have been abducted.”

There is an unfortunate lack of leads in the case, but police are baffled by the incident.

“ This is the second time he [Oak] has disappeared without notice, so we’re not overly excited,” said Sergeant Gray of Olivine City yesterday. “ In December a similar event took place, but Oak was found alive – dehydrated but alive – a week later. We will of course maintain a search for him, but it is likely that he became too involved in his research once again. The waterways will be searched, as the Professor was investigating Mudkip evolution at the time of his disappearance.”

New evidence has also come to light that Professor Oak may not in fact be truly abducted or lost. According to the Pokemon Researchers Symposium, based on Cinnabar Island, Oak’s last research papers have been of poorer standard, and almost detached in their style. “ It might be the onset of senility,” said a symposium spokesperson last week, after Oak’s Paper on Slowkings was rejected. “ For all we know, he might just be trying to draw attention to himself, getting a bit of publicity for his Research Laboratory.”

However, this statement led to outrage from Oak’s acquaintance in Olivine. “ Professor Oak is not senile, he is as sane as you or I,” an angry Miss Hudson told reporters yesterday. “ He isn’t lost, I tell you, he’s either injured or abducted, that’s why a search is so important.”

This disappearance also sheds light upon the vanishment of another prominent symposium figurehead, Professor Geoffrey Westwood. Prof. Westwood has not been seen in public since late November, and police have almost given up hope of finding any leads on his whereabouts.

People with any information on the disappearance of Professors Oak or Westwood are asked to call the police hotline on (03) 9287 2310 as soon as possible.

Lisa was stunned. The last time Professor Oak had disappeared had been when Entei, Suicune and Raikou had fought each other. And now it had happened again. Could Oak be inadvertently involved in the mystery of the legendaries, or was he senile, or even looking for publicity, as the article suggested?

“ Stupid man, eh?” said Ripper, leaning over to take the paper. Lisa nodded vacantly, and tried to catch Gavin’s eye, but he was talking boisterously to Jessica (flirting, Lisa thought; she also noticed that Brent had disappeared completely while she had been reading) and just at that moment Glenys arrived with Lisa’s pancakes and a coffee.

“ There you go Lisa,” she said cheerily. Lisa muttered her thanks and began to eat, her mind filled with possibilities about Professor Oak.

The man in question was a long distance away, struggling across the landscape between north of Olivine, as he had desperately done once before. This time, however, he was far more urgent, and luckily in far better condition.

The weary man stumbled through the thick forest, the tall green trees surrounding him looking like dark enemies closing in upon him. He took one step at a time, completely worn out, but forcing himself to go on. A narrow creek ran beside him, its fresh water gurgling temptingly. But he pushed on along his non-existent path, trying to hold off the moment when he would collapse at the river bank and quench his dangerously strong thirst. He began thinking to himself to force him to keep going … Got to keep going … have to get there before them … must escape … must tell someone – anyone – the truth … about the plans of the organization, about the legendaries … it was so important … especially for that girl, Lisa …

He struggled onwards, hoping against hope that he would not be seen by anyone.

A couple of hours later, Lisa found herself on the beautiful Valeo Beach, walking along in the cool midday breeze with Andrew, Jessica, Gavin and Olivia. The almost white sand was interspersed with huge clumps of odd-looking seaweed, which Jessica seemed eager to avoid. Lisa and Jessica were at the back of the group, talking about music, while Olivia was in the middle of the pack, no longer angry but very sulky and especially annoyed at the boys – she spent her time talking to her Spoink and Aipom, who had strangely taken a liking to her Spoink. Andrew and Gavin were up the front of the group, and suddenly Lisa noticed they were talking excitedly.

“ What’re you two doing?” Lisa called to them.

“ We’re going to have a battle!” Gavin called back. He and Andrew ran further down the beach and onto a floating pontoon in the shallower water.

“ Luck, Gavin!” Lisa yelled to him. “ And you too, Andrew.”

Gavin glared at her, only half-jokingly. Lisa, Jessica and Olivia settled down on the warm beach sand to watch the battle between Andrew and Gavin.

Gavin walked right to one end of the blue pontoon, while Andrew settled down at the other end. It was to be a one-on-one battle, and the pontoon/water battlefield would mean the fight would need some real skill.

“ Go Sableye!” cried Andrew, beginning the round by throwing out a pokeball. It bounced on the rubbery pontoon before exploding in a flash of light. Gavin recoiled. A pokemon he had only seen in books and on TV before was standing in front of him; a dark, ghost pokemon, that looked in some ways like a Haunter, except it had legs, and eyes that looked like massive diamonds. As the Sableye appeared, it suddenly pointed at Gavin and licked its lips.

“ What the hell?” Gavin said under his breath, completely unnerved by the weird pokemon, but nevertheless he pulled Natu’s Moon Ball from his pocket, enlarged it with a small beeping sound, and yelled, “ Go!”

His tiny green Natu fluttered out of the Moon Ball, twittering casually until it saw the Sableye it was facing.

“ Tu!!” It squawked in panic, flying up higher so that Sableye couldn’t grab it and eat it, which was exactly what it was trying to do; Gavin could see Sableye trying to get a hold of his bird.

“ Sableye, CALM DOWN!” yelled Andrew, whipping out his pokedex. Gavin looked curiously at it; he had never had a pokedex, and Andrew was one of the only people he knew who had one. After consulting his pokedex, Andrew cried out, “ Sableye, Calm Mind!”, which seemed to work to some extent, because the ghostlike pokemon sat down and its eyes glowed white.

Gavin grinned; as long as he battled well, he would be able to win. Although Psychic pokemon like Natu did have a disadvantage against ghosts, he had spent a long time teaching Natu techniques that could swing battles like this, and it looked like his training would finally pay off.

“ Featherdance!” he ordered, going back in to battle mode after a long spell from pokemon fighting.

Natu tweeted and fluttered over to Sableye, flying in circles above it and shedding its viridian feathers upon it; the feathers that connected with Sableye glowed and disappeared. Andrew was hurriedly checking his pokedex to investigate Featherdance, but Gavin grinned – Featherdance was similar to Cotton Spore; it lowered the opponent’s speed sharply.

“ Sableye, Toxic on Natu!” Andrew said loudly.

“ Safeguard!” commanded Gavin, confident that he would get in first.

Sure enough, Natu was quicker of the two, because of the lingering effects of Featherdance. Sableye began to stand up, but it was moving incredibly slowly. It began to open its mouth at the same time as Natu squawked and glowed a greenish-gold colour, safeguarding it from poison or any other status-affecting moves. Gavin smirked; Sableye shot a thick stream of toxic-looking violet globs, which headed straight for Natu but, because of the Safeguard, the toxic gush streamed uselessly off Natu’s feathery body and into the previously clean ocean.

Gavin quickly reacted. “ Quick, Natu – teleport and use quick attack!”

Natu’s eyes glowed with a fierce lilac energy that engulfed its entire feathery body before making it vanish completely. It was then that Gavin realised how stupid his last command had been; Sableye was a ghost-type pokemon, so any physical attacks like quick attack wouldn’t harm it in the least. Gavin looked up to change his orders, but Natu was too far gone; he had just appeared in a puff of light behind Sableye, and flew straight at the ghost. As Gavin had expected, the green bird passed straight through Sableye and came out the other side, looking utterly disoriented.

“ Damn, I forgot about that,” Gavin muttered meekly, feeling like an idiot in front of Andrew, who had twice as many pokemon as he did and six badges.

Andrew was grinning smugly. “ Don’t you love ghosts,” he jeered.

Gavin wasn’t listening; his mind had just closed in on another possibility; he had taught the technique to Natu a very long time ago, but never used it yet. Surely it was worth a try?

“ Well, let’s see what happens now,” he said confidently. “ Natu, Skill Swap!”

He snorted with laughter as he heard the robotic voice of Andrew’s pokedex say, “ Skill Swap – Switches the skills between pokemon.” Andrew began cursing at his pokedex as Natu swooped in at Sableye for the Skill Swap. Natu glowed with a golden light, which engulfed him like the light from the Teleport had, but this time, the golden light spread to cover Sableye also. It was a fairly anticlimactic moment when the light faded away quickly and nothing else happened, but Gavin knew the results would soon be shown.

My turn to scoff, Gavin thought. “ Hey, guess what Andrew, Natu now has the ghostly properties of Sableye,” he explained.

Andrew’s face twitched involuntarily.

“ Uh, Sableye, use um … uh … Night Shade?”

Gavin chucked again; it sounded as though Andrew didn’t even know what moves his Sableye could actually perform. He quickly commanded Natu. “ Quick, Natu, Steel Wing and finish off Sableye,” he called, and, with a smirk, noticed that featherdance had once again come in handy: Sableye hadn’t even begun to use Night Shade by the time Natu swooped in, it’s small wing shining, and delivered a deft swipe to Sableye’s head. Black goo spurted out from Sableye’s head all over the pontoon; the ghostly creature itself collapsed like a felled tree.

“ I won!” Gavin said, but as quietly as he could, so that it wouldn’t seem like bragging. Natu flew over to him happily and poised to sit on his head; unexpectedly, he slipped straight through Gavin like he didn’t exist; the Skill Swap was still in effect. “ Good job, Natu. Really good,” Gavin told it, then pulled out the Moon Ball and recalled Natu at the same time as Andrew returned Sableye. Andrew shrugged disappointedly, but shook Gavin’s hand as a sign of gracious defeat.
    Last edited by Gavin Luper; 1st August 2007 at 01:03 PM.

Lisa the Legend