Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Replace the Battery in your Game Cartridge! **56k warning**

Hybrid View

Dragon Tamer Administrator
    Administrator
    34.625 S, 58.50595 W (Buenos Aires, Argentina)

No Re: Replace the Battery in your Game Cartridge! **56k warning**

Quote Originally Posted by ORCACommander View Post
    if i can not rip the game save to my comp for use with an emulator and send it back to the cartridge i want nothing to do with it. personally I would call anyone who says there's still holds a save a liar if they failed to prove it with a video since the cartridges are 9-10 years old.
    No one has anything to prove to you. If you're not interested, then don't do it. Don't bash those who do.

Annual Unown Awards: Kind (2007), Friendly, Queen (2008), Dedicated (2009), She found Kevin! (2009),
    Everyone wins (2011), Tea, World traveler (2012), Busy, Patient (2013),
    Durga, Firefox, Twenty Thousand Hidden Posts (2014), Helpful (2015),
    Active, Discord, Letter, Unown Awards 2019 (2019).

Don't forget to visit the Dragon's Guild and Dragon Tamers site.
    ✭Ask me about AC/CC. Adopt a pokemon and Join!✭

Beginning Trainer
    Beginning Trainer

Cool Re: Replace the Battery in your Game Cartridge! **56k warning**

Quote Originally Posted by ORCACommander View Post
    if i can not rip the game save to my comp for use with an emulator and send it back to the cartridge i want nothing to do with it. personally I would call anyone who says there's still holds a save a liar if they failed to prove it with a video since the cartridges are 9-10 years old.
    Lol. Well I can tell you My Origonal Red, Blue and Yellow All work fine, non dead battrey yett. and my Gold silver and crystal are all internally dead and require new battries. The GBC Mega memory card saves it to the device only and can reload the save to your cartrige one you replace the battrey. It is soley for backing up files not storing to pc. The GB Transferrer II is for storing to pc, however I read many sites and feedback, no one seems to happy with how it saves and backs up pokemon data specifically. Many have reported crashes non saves and erasing of the entire cartrige due to the overjolt of power it gives the cartrige. Sadly no fully efficent way to get GBC to pc is redily avail. And once u played a save on a emmulator it can NEVER go back to the cartrige anyway. Evidently it does something to the save you can only find deep in the code, the cartrige will always reject it for some rzn, me and my cousin tried. I refuse to buy the thing. Mega memory works fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't you find these games on ebay for like, $2 these days?
    hahahah no. No you cannot. If you want to find oue that is working fine or already properly had the battrey replace you have to check each individual decription being sold either "new" or "used" on amazon. buying these games BRAND NEW unopened is upwards of 250$ dollars (and most times internal battery is already dead in factory sealed!). lol Most expensive being new yellow @ 450$...... lol 2$ hahhahahahahahahah Older items get = rarer = $$$$$$$$
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...=pokemon%20GBC

K, well THANKS for all the help this thread has provided me, I hope i helped a bit too.

<3 <3 <3
    Last edited by Bunni1337; 9th September 2012 at 04:29 PM.

Beginning Trainer
    Beginning Trainer

Default Re: Replace the Battery in your Game Cartridge! **56k warning**

sorry didn't mean to come of as bashing. just wishing to help avoid learning a harsh lesson the hard way.

Beginning Trainer
    Beginning Trainer

I used your methods, (Master Kirby) and they succeeded every time. I restored two Gold Versions and two Silver versions. Thank you for the advice!
    I learn something new every day...

Beginning Trainer
    Beginning Trainer

I also registered so that I can thank you for this post. I resurrected my Pokemon Blue cartridge. I solved the tab problem using Desoldering Braid RS CAT 64-2090. Now my partner and I can exchange Pokemon.

You crook! Ya CRIMINAL!! Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer
    The Universe - 46 degrees north, 8 trillion degrees west

I can't help but marvel at how after all this time people are STILL replying to this thread.

Kirby, you've done a Hell of a service for the Internet. Cheers.

(Nintendo) 4 Lyfe

HEY! I do art commissions! Follow me and my pals on their website here!

nananananananana BATFLEA! Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't you find these games on ebay for like, $2 these days?
    "A closed mouth gathers no feet."
    -Benjamin Franklin

You mean games which are likely to having failing batteries too? Ayup... The better solution would be to purchase the remakes and get with the times but hey, some people probably aren't that invested in the franchise or just want to relive childhood memories with the original.

Beginning Trainer
    Beginning Trainer

Hey there Master Kirby! I am one of many who signed up for this forum simply to thank you for your information and to make an addition.

I have a Crystal Version that is extremely old; I use my GBA for the sole purpose of playing this game - I have found it helps me sleep and often fall asleep with it on (In battle tower ) It is the same age as my gold version and yet my gold version died years ago. People have asked why this is and someone blamed the manufacturer for putting batteries of different ages into the cartridges: this is not the case.

I forget where I read this, but I do know exactly why it happens.

The reason that a game that is played a lot lasts longer than a Pokemon game that is not played very much is that while it is plugged into the gameboy the game clock actually uses the gameboy's power, not the cartridge's power. While these batteries cannot be charged, the power can come from the gameboy advance instead (This doesn't work with the gameboy color at all unless you buy the charger... My friend had one) However if the gameboy is turned off the power source stops unless it is plugged into the wall and charging. My way of keeping my Crystal version alive for as long as it has been is to keep it in my GBA and keep it plugged in. The game is now roughly eight years old and has almost 1000 hours clocked on it (from falling asleep with the game on!) And as you have stated, the battery life is only about six years. And I am faced with another dilemma: I have them all, and yet I know that the game's save file will be deleted if it reaches 1000 hours of gameplay.

I asked for emerald for christmas from my mother since after eight years I was getting bored with Crystal anyway (Me being an adult, she gave me a funny look) and the (BRAND NEW IN PLASTIC) game that I received... Had no battery charge. The internal clock was completely dead and as such all clock based events would not occur, I couldn't grow berries, couldn't change the popular Dewford Town phrase... Well, I need to grow berries because I want Milotic! And so, after speculating on the idea of a new battery for a while and discovering I had a good friend who could easily do the work for me, I found your forum post. We're going to do it this weekend! The only problem was I could not find the battery you said was the one already in the cartridge - I did, however, find the 1620, which you said would last longer and MIGHT fit. If it does, I will let you all know.

I would like to add that while the descriptions are great, none of the pictures you posted (the links are fine, but...) of the process are viewable - possibly because they are old. My friend is very computer literate and likes to repair old Ipods, but we would both really appreciate those pictures back if you still have them somewhere!

Again thank you so much for this guide, Master Kirby!

Beginning Trainer
    Beginning Trainer

...The problem was not a dead battery; the battery was just fine. Just an inherent flaw in Emerald version that isn't supposed to occur for a year at least after it is first played... and when the game wasn't so outdated, Nintendo was willing to fix it for free, but not anymore.

If anyone knows of a third-party person willing and able to repair this kind of thing, please tell me...

Cloyster Moderator

Wait, I thought that glitch only affected Ruby and Sapphire.

Anyway, if you have a GBA link cable on you and a FireRed or LeafGreen version, you can fix it by trading between the two.
    Winner of the Unown Awards: 2008 "Hard Work", 2010 "Dedicated", 2012 "Journalist", 2012 "Unown", 2013 "Anchorman", 2014 "Unown", 2015 "Jeff Jeff Jeff Jeff!"

Facebook - YouTube - Miiverse
    Diamond: 1418 3196 1413 - SoulSilver: 0217 4582 5426 - White: 1119 9535 7054 - White 2: 1421 4560 4887 - X: same as 3DS
    3DS: 3866 8018 5231 - AIM: IslanderJeff02
    Joined November 8, 2004 - Modded October 24, 2008

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to say that I have fixed my guide so the images should appear now. I had originally linked them from a "Google Pages" site, but it since then has been deleted, so I had to fix the links. I have also added a link on my first post, showing where I have a backup of the guide.

-Master Kirby
    Have an old pokemon cartridge laying around collecting dust?

Join the Pokemon RBY Speedrun
    or
    GSC Speed Completion Challenge

How fast can you beat the game?

If your game can't save anymore, replace it's battery!

Beginning Trainer
    Beginning Trainer

Do i need to solder it in the same place as it was or can i use a totally diffrent holder for it?
    If so is it possible to use this one?

http://media.conrad.com/xl/6000_6999..._00_FB.EPS.jpg
    http://media.conrad.com/xl/6000_6999..._00_FB.EPS.jpg

also for the solder job you need a 15Watt one...correct? atleast i think if you "slip out" you do allot less damage then with a 40Watt

Beginning Trainer
    Beginning Trainer

Hey Kirby i was wondering if you would mind if i turned this into a pdf?

Beginning Trainer
    Beginning Trainer

Hey guys

I would like to report to all that despite being in a sealed box and in a green transparent cartridge that my copy of Emerald is, in fact, a hack. Or a serious manufacturing error.

And Jeff? Emerald has restrictions that don't allow trading with Fire-Red and Leaf-Green until after the elite four.

After opening it up and discovering that the battery was JUST FINE I compared it to other pictures online of open Emerald games and found it was MISSING PIECES. Specifically the part of the circuit board that runs the clock. The game also CRASHES the instant the elite four is defeated, erasing the entire cartridge. I have confirmed this by beating it twice (one would think that the second time I would have opted out of getting Milotic, but alas, I am stubbornly in love with that Pokemon)

Who can I talk to about this? The game was a Christmas gift!

~Angrily stomps off~
    Last edited by Nokota; 29th March 2011 at 02:49 AM. Reason: Elaboration

for all seasons Moderator

Depends. Any idea where it came from?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oslo View Post
    Tony is gay for little Snorlax.

Watch my YouTube to support my drug habit

Beginning Trainer
    Beginning Trainer

Not a clue! just that when I opened the present I had a hard time getting the plastic off - it was definitely brand new!

Well, all batteries will eventually lose power. The reason it dies so much faster in GS carts is because keeping track of time is a lot more draining than just holding the save game, I presume.

Lone Phoenix Beginning Trainer
    Beginning Trainer

Exclamation Re: Replace the Battery in your Game Cartridge! **56k warning**

in pokemon sapphire is the battery soldered in place or taped to the tabs?
    Last edited by Lonephoenix; 27th June 2011 at 03:25 PM. Reason: miss spelling

Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Just to put this here in case it's of use to anyone, but I used this guide to replace my battery very easily. Just uses tape like MCPhatman used, and I put in a 1 Yen coin I had spare from my trip to Japan to wedge it in properly.

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...mon-goldsilve/

Beginning Trainer
    Beginning Trainer

I followed all of the instructions on both my gold and crystal, and they initially held a save, but after 10 mins both games were gone. I tried new batteries on both and its still not working. I managed to solder the tabs on to the battery, yet it still does not work. I'm confused about these "tabs" especially pertaining to the part where you may have to reuse the old tabs because I no longer have them. It looks the same as it did before, can anyone help please? It would be greatly appreciated.

Beginning Trainer
    Beginning Trainer

sounds like you got a cold solder joint. only thing you can do is desolder and try again

Gay &amp; Proud Beginning Trainer
    Beginning Trainer

This really helped repair my Pokémon Blue version. Thanks a lot!

Beginning Trainer
    Beginning Trainer

Important note for user's of Yellow Version:

Yellow does not use a CR 2025. It instead uses a CR1616 and has a different tab orientation
    Last edited by ORCACommander; 26th August 2012 at 02:49 PM.

Veteran Trainer

It's crazy that this thread is 5 years old and still isn't dead.

(Nintendo) 4 Lyfe

Ultimate Virtual Pokémon Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Do you suppose this thread has reached the point yet where it's outlasted batteries that were put into cartridges thanks to this thread?

Poryhedron's Monotype Challenges
    Winner of the 2007 Pokéhelper Unown Award! Glad I could be of help!
    Pokémon GO: Level 37, Team Mystic

It's like Rossy, but more! Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

All I know is that I use ROMs instead. Problem solved.

Although I do have a cartridge Crystal and Red game that have yet to gain any issues and I hope they won't for a while as I do have a rather large amount of Pokemon on both, but I don't use them very much. Eventually I'll complete them.

But if I do have any issues, I'll know where to turn!

Veteran Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Poryhedron View Post
    Do you suppose this thread has reached the point yet where it's outlasted batteries that were put into cartridges thanks to this thread?
    New batteries? I doubt it. They have a longer lifespan than a few years, I think.

Original batteries in the carts that hadn't died when this topic was first made, though... I could definitely see that.

(Nintendo) 4 Lyfe

Beginning Trainer
    Beginning Trainer

Hey Guys, whats the code in crystal oscillator? I bought a game Pokemon Silver, but the former owner took the crystal... and the clock never pass... i need a new crystal now.. Thanks guys!
    Last edited by rodrigonewmetal; 10th July 2013 at 03:30 PM.

Ok. I have the original Pokemon games: Yellow, Blue, Red, and then Silver, Gold, and Crystal. They have stopped saving. Before you proceed to tell me why, I already know why. The batteries need to be replaced in the cartridges. Got it. BUT, I have attempted this and the issue is, I can't get the solder to stick to the battery. So, I resolved to use electrical tape to hold the tabs to the battery. A good plan until they get jarred around a little and move, therefore, erasing my game, AGAIN. I'm over it, I'm sick of it, and I just want to play my damn games in peace. Even if you wouldn't mind, I will send you one at a time and PAY you to fix them for me if you have successfully done it before without harming the game. So please, all of you gorgeous fellow nerds and gameboy color fanatics out there, help me. The fate of my universe rests in your capable hands.

P.S. If I do send you my games, and you decide you would rather keep them for yourself rather than return them to me, know this: there is no place you can run, no place you can hide, that I will not find you. I will hunt you down and rip your spine from your body like our glorious friend Scorpion from Mortal Kombat does to his enemies. But if you do fix my games, and return them to me, you will have a forever loyal friend who will owe you one. So, let that simmer in your thoughts so you can weigh your options. Painful death by spine removal while you are still alive, or forever loyal friend who owes you big time. Your choice. Oh, and thanks again, ladies and gents. Please help me!

I cannot help you myself but I totally read your post and empathize with your plight. :[ Just in case you didn't think anyone actually saw it.

Apologies in advance if you see NEW POST and then are disappointed that the replier was unable to be of service.
    ~Mr.E, the mystery.

Beginning Trainer
    Beginning Trainer

I have replaced several batteries and if you don't have any electric tape athletic tape will do.

Dragon Tamer Administrator
    Administrator
    34.625 S, 58.50595 W (Buenos Aires, Argentina)

I would like to congratulate this thread for the award it has won! .

May it be Everlasting indeed.

Annual Unown Awards: Kind (2007), Friendly, Queen (2008), Dedicated (2009), She found Kevin! (2009),
    Everyone wins (2011), Tea, World traveler (2012), Busy, Patient (2013),
    Durga, Firefox, Twenty Thousand Hidden Posts (2014), Helpful (2015),
    Active, Discord, Letter, Unown Awards 2019 (2019).

Don't forget to visit the Dragon's Guild and Dragon Tamers site.
    ✭Ask me about AC/CC. Adopt a pokemon and Join!✭

Oh this is that thread...
    ~Mr.E, the mystery.

Beginning Trainer
    Beginning Trainer

I know this thread is old, and many years have passed...

But all the discussions here - helped me to restore a SHADOWGATE GBC cartridge to full saving working condition.

All the tips mentioned here are gold.

Thanks a lot to you fellas!

Veteran Trainer

I don't even know if the people who made and popularized this thread still come here, but good for you, man.

(Nintendo) 4 Lyfe

"Activity
    10th October 2013 07:15 PM"

feelsbadman

for all seasons Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo View Post
    Tony is gay for little Snorlax.

Watch my YouTube to support my drug habit

Banned

Where do I find soldering iron?

Beginning Trainer
    Beginning Trainer

I took the old battery out, and now I am trying a different approach to connect tabs to a new battery. I have made a kind of arc welder by taking apart a flash that you would put on top of a 35mm camera. I connected wires to the capaciter, so that when I touch both of them to the battery and tab, the electricity makes a flash, melting them together. Sometimes this works, sometimes this doesn't. I just need to find a place where I can get the tab to fuse firmly to the battery so I can put it in the game cartridge without losing a connection.