Thread: Do you believe in Evolution?

Hybrid View

Default Re: Do you believe in Evolution?

Good point on the math test thing Katie, props.

Evolution works very much like simulated annealing in math and computer science, hence why the latter is called a "genetic algorithm". If a randomly developed trait leads to better survival then it is adopted, but if the trait leads to less survivability it is not necessarily discarded, but it is accepted with a certain probability (i.e. the probability that the branch with decreased survivability doesn't die off) and may lead to even more survivability in the long run. Randomized trial and error, loosely guided to a certain goal. It may seem a bit unlikely, but in this mixed up universe of ours it works. Beautiful, no?

You crook! Ya CRIMINAL!! Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer
    The Universe - 46 degrees north, 8 trillion degrees west

Quote Originally Posted by DarkTemplarZero View Post
    It may seem a bit unlikely, but in this mixed up world of ours it works.
    Fixed it.

(Nintendo) 4 Lyfe

HEY! I do art commissions! Follow me and my pals on their website here!

The destroyer of worlds Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Katie
    ID is basically writing on a math test "I don't know how to do this problem, and therefor it cannot be done. Since there is an answer, and no way it can be done, I'll just assume that only a being of a higher power could work out the middle part." Don't just GIVE UP, FIGURE IT OUT. Jesus.
    I wonder if anyone's actually done that?

Anyway, I red somewhere that this science team tried to replicate conditions of what would it would be millions of years ago (realy bloody hot, lots of carbon dioxide, etc), and were amazed to discover organic matter forming. Very primate organic matter, but organic matter none the less. This would explain where the first life forms came from.

And on the topic of ID, well, they can believe it if they want, but putting it on the same level as evolution...There is no word to describe how idiotic that is.
    I'm in your dimensions, screwing with your reality!