Thread: Lisa the Legend: Chapter 82 - Last Night on Earth now up! (24th June 2013)

Hybrid View

Super Moderator
    Super Moderator

Default Re: Lisa the Legend - Chapter 60 up! (Book III Begins!)

A few days ago at work I stumbled directly into a box-thorn. As I extricated myself from the sharp thorns stabbing me, I suddenly remembered how often I've had Lisa run into box-thorns at various points during the story, and thought, I'd better reply to people's comments. Of course, it's taken me about three days to get around to it, but better late than never, I suppose.

Brian: Thanks for the ever-punctual reply! I'm pleased you found the end appropriate to the mood of the chapter - something really was bugging me about it and it took some work to fix it up. As for the "deep and meaningful" ... that WAS a noun ... I mean, not technically, but it's used as such, as least in Australia, and (mostly) with teenagers I suppose ... mostly girls. It means a deep and meaningful talk, sometimes shortened to a D&M ... at least in WA. I didn't even think about it as being a bit odd, but there you go. As for the law-breakers/criminals thing ... I don't see the difference, really, they are just synonyms. Anyway, as you pointed out, this chapter was a way of calming things down from the more action-packed chapters of the last book's finale.

Master Kirby: Possibly psychic, yes, or perhaps just intuitive. Thanks for the congrats, too. I'm so glad you liked the description in this chapter - I actually really enjoyed writing the scene where Lisa was at the window: I just created this description of Redwood City on the spot, and I could really picture it in my mind, it looks beautiful to me. I'm glad it was real for you, too.

Sike Saner: The spider thing was actually a little bit based on a spider we used to have in our kitchen - my mother grew particularly fond of it for some reason and none of us were allowed to kill it - it hung around for months. I don't know why, but it entered my head during the writing of this chapter and it seemed like a nice kind of friend for Lisa during her loneliest times. ^^ Doctor Rogers just kind of came to me, and what a perfectly nasty piece of work she is - glad you found her amusing. And as to the other quotes - they were both chapter highlights for me, too. Seeya next chapter!

Everyone: I sat down the other day to write Chapter 61, but I couldn't get going. Pretty frustrated, I tried several times before giving up and deciding to instead write a few notes about the fates of the characters at the end of the fic. Well, I couldn't have expected what happened. All these ideas that have been skulking around my imagination for five years or more suddenly came spilling out: not just ideas for what will happen at the end, but pages of backstory from before Lisa began her quest, as well as detailed plans for the rest of book three. After a few hours I looked back and there was about four or five thousand words of solid notes - I'm more pleased with this than I would have been if I'd finished Chapter 61 that day. As such, I'm probably going to focus on finishing off all those notes before I get on to Chapter 61, which could mean the chapter is a few weeks away yet, but I'm convinced the notes are infinitely more important at this stage in the fic.

Cheers!
    ...Quest for the Truth of the Legend ...

Lisa the Legend

Winner of 12 Silver Pencil Awards 2011 - Including Best Plot, Best Character in a Leading Role, Best Moment and Best Fic of the Forum for Lisa the Legend!

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pikachu
    Feel free to withdraw at any time, Gavin.

Quote Originally Posted by DragoKnight View Post
    ...Far too many references!! You're like the Swiss army knife of discussion.

Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer

Default Re: Lisa the Legend - Chapter 60 up! (Book III Begins!)

Quote Originally Posted by Gavin Luper View Post
    Brian: Thanks for the ever-punctual reply! I'm pleased you found the end appropriate to the mood of the chapter - something really was bugging me about it and it took some work to fix it up. As for the "deep and meaningful" ... that WAS a noun ... I mean, not technically, but it's used as such, as least in Australia, and (mostly) with teenagers I suppose ... mostly girls. It means a deep and meaningful talk, sometimes shortened to a D&M ... at least in WA. I didn't even think about it as being a bit odd, but there you go. As for the law-breakers/criminals thing ... I don't see the difference, really, they are just synonyms. Anyway, as you pointed out, this chapter was a way of calming things down from the more action-packed chapters of the last book's finale.
    Okay, I have to reply to this. I never would've expected that a "deep and meaningful" was actually a slang noun. It just seemed so much like a word had been dropped that the thought of a region-specific slang term never occured to me... frankly, even if I'd considered the thought, I probably would've absconded myself for being afraid to criticize. My apologies for the confusion, though.

With the law-breakers/criminals part, you're right about them being synonyms. I guess the latter just sounds a little crisper to me as a shorter term, but I see your point nonetheless. Just an aesthetic opinion.

By the way, I'm glad to hear you got so much done in notes. That can be extremely helpful; expanded into prose, such notes could comprise several chapters. So it's good to hear that you're making such great progress even if the chapter itself is going to be delayed a little while. Keep up the good work!

I guess that's it. I look forward to seeing the fruits of your labor, whenever you're ready to present more material! Until then!
    IT HAS RETURNED.
    THE TPM MAIN SITE.

Quote Originally Posted by Gavin Luper View Post
    Holy crap ... I'VE become a grammar nazi, too.

Beginning Trainer
    Beginning Trainer

Default Re: Lisa the Legend - Chapter 60 up!

Holy cats! I got swamped with work from school and from a job I had over christmas at the DIsney store and now a law firm where I'm helping preparing files for a big Zyprexa settlement against a drug manufacturing company, to find at least 4 if not more updates in my absence!

@@

I got some serious reading to do now!!! Hope you didn't think I fell off the face of the earth or something, I've just been incredibly busy.

From what I skimmed over the story, it looks like incredible update material. I'll tell ya more of what I think after I get caught up on the reading.

~*~

On another note, I've begun writing two fics based off of Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. One's called 'Destiny of a Rescued Eevee' and the other is called 'Human in a Pokemon World'

Oh yes... And I managed to get a wondermail generator so I Can make my own wondermail codes and I'm having way too much fun with that!

~*~

Though, I will say this, I'll be back with feedback on the content of your chapters as soon as I have time to read them!
    Step follows step, Hope follows courage,Set your face toward danger, Set your heart on victory, Victory for Bamarre!